Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Given the context, actually teaching street smarts instead of them being earned the hard way pays off sometimes. Maybe there should be a course where a guy name “Slice” gets tenure to teach kids how to locate dead-drops and kill attackers with tube socks.

2. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The video is here: https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPd2v1QKL/
    Good on them knowing a ruse when they hear it, but they had a functioning ground level window the entire time?

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I was kind of curious about the window as well. I wonder if they had been trained to shelter in place during an active shooter drills or something? Would make more sense to just book it to safety the first signs of a shooting.

4. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sure the intent is to not have a bunch of panicky students running all over the place when the police are on site trying to identify and deal with the actual hostile. But when the first shots go off and the cops aren't even there yet, why the fuck wouldn't you jump out the window and book it for home?

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're taught to stay put unless under immediate threat. There's a chance you could be mistaken for a shooter, or get caught in a crossfire, or distract responders (they can't neutralize the shooter because they have to secure survivors). Less likely, but still possible are multiple shooters or devices rigged on the windows, etc.

If you are sequested in a classroom, unless the shooter is in that room or trying to get in that room, you stay there.

The active shooter training they put us through was very straightforward. 1. Stay put if you can (sequester, lock doors, etc.). 2. If you can't, run and try and avoid detection. For 1 and 2, there's safety in numbers. 3. Do not fight, or attack the shooter. This was explained as the last thing you want to do is confront an armed attacker who planned an attack with no backup, coms, weaponry or protective gear. If you happen upon weaponry, you exponentially increase the likelihood that police shoot you.

6. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think I could tell my kids in good conscience, "you see that open and clear means of escape? Ignore it, just stay where you are and hope the cops get to him first".

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

well im fucked then. First instinct is to run — in undergrad we “raided” another dorm to hang up blowup dolls in their hallways, someone caught us, and I immediately jumped out a second story window — second instinct is to run AT the harm and just fuck them up (done this multiple times in fights when escape was less an option due to crowds).

alright folks, we know how ROTN is going then. Especially since I work at schools.

8. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure most active shooter videos always follow, "Run, Hide, Fight". I've never heard of one saying to stay in place if you can run away. Maybe it's different for schools. I'll come right out and say, if people are threatening my life, I'm running away. I have no issues leaving everyone in my group if it keeps me alive. Unless absolutely cornered with nowhere else to go, I'm running.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The original plan at Columbine was to detonate bombs in the cafeteria and then have a crossfire situation set up to shoot the people fleeing the building. Had they not fucked up on wiring the detonators, their original plan likely would have killed hundreds between the bombs and the shooting gallery they had planned for.

10. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Quick note about school codes (at least in Ontario, Canada):

1. None of the windows are operable more than 4" on any new installation. I was surprised the windows could accommodate people in that video. They must be old ones.
    2. No kidding...all schools must have blinds to prevent active shooters from seeing into classrooms. We've come to that. An aside, they even deal with active shooters in the jobsite orientation videos we all have to watch to access The Valley now. It's nuts.

I can't quite imagine having to plan my escape from an active shooter at 14, but I think the kids in that video reacted exceptionally well given the circumstances. And kudos to old window that could open wide enough to allow kids to pass through it.

11. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope they still make them out of breakable glass at least. Or maybe not, so it’s bulletproof?

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I doubt a school district is springing for bullet proof glass. Also, from what I remember, that stuff loses it's effectiveness as it ages.

Run hide fight is circa 2017, I think. The idea is if you hear an active shooter, on the other side of the building, barricade the doors and stay put: You're already hidden. If the shooter approaches (fuck trying to judge the shooter's range), then run and hide. We were told that fighting is essentially what you do right before you die, and the movies are not to be believed. If you've got a gun pointed at you, do whatever you think you must, but to plan or to encourage others to plan on fighting is a no-no.

In this case, I'd imagine the teachers are responsible for the students, and have to keep them somewhat together, calm and as a group (again, safety in numbers).

Everyone flooding the halls/common areas like a fire alarm just puts a lot more people in danger. The idea is to "starve" the shooter for targets, and force them to move throughout the facility, increasing the likelihood that law enforcement intervenes.

13. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

It's tempered. So it will shatter into a million small pieces and not hurt anyone with big, jagged chunks. Also the glass is either double- or triple-glazed. Tough to break in general.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So, an old woman in a car jumped the curb last night and ran over an entire Girl Guide troop, killing at least one little girl. This occurred just after dropping my daughter off at HER Guide meeting on the same road (my daughter is older than these girls), which my wife is a co-leader of… it’s been the shittiest 24 hours I can think of in a long time. And it’s going to get so much worse soon.

15. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed. They were calm and in sound mind enough to know that cops don't say "Bro". I'm pretty sure I'd shit myself

16. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most definitely, but given the opportunity to leave the building entirely and hauling ass away from the scene, I'm telling my kids to take the chance.

17. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So was the driver a white-supremacist?

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It was some old woman. She hit either a vehicle or light fixture and was bumped into the sidewalk. Not intentional, just horrible.

19. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anybody heard anything more about students wanting to stay home because they heard there was gonna be a shooting? And that the district addressed issues earlier in the week/month and insisted nothing was wrong? Because there's a lawsuit right there.

20. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because being shot at school isn’t already a law suit?