Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t know how lawsuits work in terms of compensation requested, in this situation. I feel like “hey there was word of a possible school shooting planned and the school said nah” would make people a bit more pissed and therefore a bit more insistent they get a bit more money.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

[
    i don’t see how something like Stoneman Douglas couldn’t be. Their security guards hid in a hall closet as soon as the shooting started. The cops shit the bed scared outside (several of them). There were measures in place that could have saved kids’ lives and they failed them instead, and the ones responsible hide behind lawyers and give petty excuses for their actions.

I can’t imagine a parent that wouldn’t want to ruin them in any way they can.

3. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On that topic, the shooter's parents seem to be a pair of 2A nuts who bought the murder weapon only 4 days prior. Authorities are considering charging them too.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If they’re responsible for the gun, that means they allowed him to take and use it. They participated in the crime, it’s not a thing you can hot-potato.

#13044 Crown Royal, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FBI just paid them out in the 130+ million range for that one. Their follow up on the direct tips for the shooter is what they thought that was worth.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait, they bought the gun after the shit with the deer head?

7. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What shit with what deer head?

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently someone lobbed a deer head into the school courtyard a few weeks back. Unconfirmed whether it was the same kid, but it'd be a hell of a coincidence, especially since the school apparently brought in his parents to talk about "concerning behavior" the day before the shooting.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’m reading the school says it wasn’t the same kid…. But would you blame them for trying to lie? I mean, this person also painted some of the school windows red. That’s pretty worthy of looking into deeper.

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my opinion, child access prevention laws need to be strengthened and particularly add focus on this exact situation. Your child uses your gun in a school, you're on the hook for murder, too. If that kid didn't have to cut open a safe to get to that weapon, the parents didn't do enough to prevent access. These parents absolutely share the blame for this.

I get wanting guns for self defense, hunting and just shooting for fun. I get wanting to include your kids in those things and teaching responsible gun ownership. I don't get storing guns in a way that a kid can get access without the knowledge and supervision of an adult.

12. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God forbid we ever actually pay heed to the "well regulated" portion of the 2A

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That phrase refers to the colonial era concept of regular and irregular soldiers. Regulars being soldiers in the official army. Irregulars being militia. The militia should be trained like the regulars, well regulated, like the governments’ regulars. It doesn’t mean regulated in the sense that it is restricted or forbidden by law. That definition doesn’t make sense in the context of the prefatory clause. Unless you subscribe in a living and breathing definition where it can mean anything you want like o-so many genders.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Admittedly I'm going off of screenshots from the kid's socials, but it sounds like they bought the gun for him. It is possible the kid is lying of course, but if he was, he had pretty unfettered access to that gun and little fear that his parents would notice him bragging about it on the ol 'gram.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

there's precedent for that

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On the topic of guns: the people saying that judging Rittenhouse before the trial was complete was one of the gravest injustices in recent memory, and the people saying that Alec Baldwin is a murderer, are exactly the same people.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait, it was a weapon free school zone?! How did he even get in the door?

18. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Baldwin is now saying he didn't pull the trigger, isn't he?

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Sounds like Alec Baldwin doesn’t know how guns work, and that’s the majority of the problem.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I still think it's likely he pulled the trigger and is either lying or the trauma has blocked that part from his memory. That said, that kind of discharge isn't as unrealistic with a replica of an old single action revolver than it is with a modern handgun (or a modified replica with newer safety features). It's why the "cowboy load" was a thing.