Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

He did get parole. He is eligible after 30 years, though typically parole is not granted the first time around, and in Georgia they become eligible again every 8 years. Source

I agree with you though that a shorter sentence does feel appropriate for him (he voluntarily turned over the video tape), though obviously he helped pin in Arbery with his truck and it's not possible to determine if Arbery would have survived or not without his interference. Mitigating factor, but not by a lot. I'm also not sure what the Georgia statutes allow for in instances like that. For all we know, the judge might have given him as much leniency he could under the law, given what the jury convicted him of.

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just had a thought out of nowhere:

The Islamic extremists hate us Westerners because of our debauched infidel ways, but why don't they hate the Chinese?

The Chinese are trying to cultivate a very consumerist society; hell, their official religious position is atheist!
    They don't even believe in an Abrahamic God!
    AND they are persecuting Uygyr Muslims!

Why aren't suicide bombers blowing up malls in Shanghai?

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

because they’re probably a lot better trade partners with them

4. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They aren't invading/killing Muslims in other countries. I'm sure their treatment of the Uyghurs upsets some Muslim groups, but nothing like the West's constant invasion and interference in their own countries.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Because they’re aren’t any Chinese blowing up anything in their country, anywhere. They’re aren’t acting as a Global police like your country does because they already have well over a billion of their own people to subjugate. Their president does not set people on fire in their country and drop MOAB bombs on them just because he saw one demonstrated on “Real TV” 15 years ago.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

China pays them off. They send the Taliban and Syria funding and economic development (trade) deal proposals in exchange for not fucking with mainland China and keeping the Uyghur populations in Afghanistan and elsewhere in check. They don’t have the capability of waging a sustained military campaign anywhere, so they don’t have a choice. A Chinese embassy and a consulate were blown up a few years ago, though.

7. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait a minute, what about all this talk I've been hearing (on FOX News, no less) that we would lose a conventional war with China because of their superior forces?

8. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In 2018 I knew someone who had a bunch of family members in the US military and she fully bought into this idea that the Russian Military was an existential threat to the US military.

I guess Fox news has since then clued into the idea that maybe using the Chinese Military as a boogey man would be better then Russia's broke ass military.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Belt and Road Initiative exists because their military would get crushed in a conventional war. They can’t even project their forces outside of the Yellow Sea.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

racist

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

In other news, the Russian stock market (RTS Index) crashed today and the ruble is tanking. I’m going to say it’s 60/40 Putin slowly starts backing down from Ukraine.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm still not sure what his play is. This isn't the USSR which is awash in ideologues and collectivist propaganda willing to sacrifice for Soviet glory. It's a borderline mob-state run by rich oligarchs who prioritize their personal comfort above all else. Taking Ukraine at the cost of a drop in personal wealth is something they have no interest in. If Putin can't steal it with zero meaningful resistance like he did Crimea, I can't see it being anything but a negative for him.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Idunno. Flexing over oil and gas rights in Syria seems a world away from asserting the right of conquest in NATO's backyard.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It’s not about oil and gas rights in Syria, it’s about the navigable rivers in Ukraine that lead to the Black Sea. And the 8 million ethnic Russians living in the eastern part.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Moving all these posts out of the Finance Thread.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

one of the mods from r/antiwork went on fox news and did an interview. It went as expected

17. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They were calling for companies to be posted by name, what a month after they announced an IPO? Amazing how that had to stop publicly....

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It’s hilarious that he’s actually autistic. Well, not that he personally has autism, but that he’s basically fulfilling a caricature of the stereotype that Reddit mods are autistic shut-ins. Autism isn’t funny. Sorry, I move had a few beers.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm just impressed that the mod group couldn't figure out that an interview request, from Jesse Watters of all people, that asked for a specific mod, was a "find the smelliest hippie in the drum circle" setup.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They even put a poll up asking if they should do it, and the resounding response was "fuck no!"