Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I just see the BLM stuff and these trucker protests as two sides to the same coin.

Sure, at a base level there's an element of legitimate complaints with the Canada thing -- the lockdowns, as severe as they have been, have been going on for far too long and were far too strict, in the opinion of someone who lives as far from there as possible without being in Mexico. Sure, make some noise about that if people in charge won't listen. But do it in a manner that doesn't destroy the city and make those around you have to book hotels and such outside the city because of your incessant horn honking is driving them insane. Then of course, everyone turned it into so much more than that, and is now people are saying it's anti-vax, and vaccine passports, and the CA government is acting like hitler, and all that crap.

With the BLM protests, obviously police brutality was worthy of protesting. And they weren't listening, so the protests needed to be in a manner that was uncomfortable. But then the protests became about much more than that. Reparations, defund the police, all that crap. Then they started burning the city, and looting, and making people not wanna live in the areas they were in, not unlike what's going on in Ottawa right now.

You can get your point across without being an asshole, basically. Or at least direct that assholeness toward the people who deserve it, or you think deserve it, without affecting innocent bystanders or private property.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

These trucker protests are just morons. They have a false understanding of "freedom" and are basically letting them be churned up by a few organizers.

They have this concept that all of Canada is somehow behind them, when we're not. By a long shot.

They think that by outright advocating the overthrowing of the current government, they are expressing said "freedom". There is a huge class action suit brewing against them.

So many trucks towed and impounded. Lots more trucks leaving on their own as the night goes on. Numbers dwindling. 100 arrested so far, and no end in sight.

The cops finally have authority to do what they need to, and they have a plan, and they are not wavering. They are going slowly, methodically, safely, and they are not stopping.

The vast majority of the country is pissed that it took 22 days for them to finally get to this point.

To get an idea of the mentality of some of these protesters, watch this video:

And with the latest hack of the people who donated to the cause, there are very large, very public boycots and backlash against those that have.

As to the freezing of the bank accounts... this is standard Anti Money Laundering and other FINRA requirements. If there is any question around the source or legitimacy of funds, the banks put a freeze on it and turn it over to the courts to decide. They've been doing this for years, and were really big on that during the crytpo kick-off when nobody knew the legality of crypto. Basically, the banks don't want to be held liable, so they don't make a call themselves.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They know their rights and they know that you can't ask them who lives in the house, because census is just another word for tyranny.

4. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

The government of Canada right now is behaving in a way that typically only banana republics and despots behave. Set aside whether or not you believe in what the truckers are protesting and look at what Trudeau is unilaterally doing:

- Demanded that ALL financial institutions freeze funding and seize capital from people who even donated to this cause. And made that ability permanent.
    - Seized the donated funds themselves
    - Suspended all debate on the issue to allow the police action to continue
    - Granted wholecloth authority to the police to arrest and disburse peaceful protestors
    - Removed the local police authorities who would not comply
    - Ignored the wishes of premiers and members of their own cabinet advising them not to do this.

To my knowledge, seizing donated money and freezing and seizing the assets of all who donated is unprecedented. It’s unconscionable. Imagine if, say, the US did this to a group of protesters protesting the draconian abortion laws that have recently passed, or some other contentious issues that happens to align with your beliefs. Would you rest easy knowing the government did that?

I don’t give a fuck what the cause is. These were peaceful protests that had no instances of violence, and look at the travesty of government overreach happening.

Trudeau should stand trial for this. I hope to god this can somehow be undone, because I’ve never been more ashamed of my government.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Canada is handling this with kid gloves compared to pretty much any time people in the United States are unhappy about a civil rights violation or a playoff loss, or when workers in France want an extra week of mandated vacation. No rubber bullets, no tear gas, and you guys didn't even kettle the protestors so they couldn't escape. Buncha amateurs up North.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They are just implementing normal FINTRAC measures and the Attorney General has promised its within the bounds of the charter of rights and freedom, and is being closely overseen by the justice department.

Not sure where you’re getting your news?

Again, I’ve been part of this process first hand for years. The banking/exchange systems I’ve built all have to facilitate FINTRAC operations just like this.

I say this as the Director of Core Fintech of a public company.

7. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm curious if the laws around protest include stipulations about property. Ie, you can't build a house as a form of protest and expect to occupy it. If you're using property as a means to protest, doesn't that change the laws you're subject to?

Like, if you're marching or whatever, so be it. But if your protest includes the usage of private property to obstruct, damage or thwart usage of public goods, isn't that grounds to be dismissed/dispersed? In the US, theoretically, the cops could apply asset forfeiture laws and seize your shit, without trial or even a charge, and....that's it, your shit is gone. Finito, done, legal and fuck off.

The way it's being handled seems to have been a nonsensical escalation, but....I mean, if you're gonna get into a "who can be a bigger dick" contest, the government is going to win, they have some tremendous advantages.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

lady in the video: “so you’re monitoring Facebook and social media for criminal activities”

OPP: “no shit”

lady: “quit doing that I don’t want you do to that”

OPP: *smiles*

lady: “you’re wasting tax dollars”

OPP: “well that’s, like, your opinion man”

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

goin down right now

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Those truckers needed the organizers of Occupy Wall Street to help them plan. They made it 2 months before Bloomberg sent the cops in to clear them out.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

If anyone wants to feel better about the whole Russia thing, here’s a fictional BBC broadcast from a few years ago:

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

In spite of that, remember that THEY are the victims here:

You clog up a city for weeks and then cry about backlash when it was you who fucked up their backyard. Fuck you.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Video of Ottawa Police clearing a road downtown or something:

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This is a ski resort many hours away from Ottawa.

Fuck that guy. "Sorry, I can't hear you behind your mask."

Freedom does not mean you get to do what you want, you selfish prick.

If you want to go skiing in a private resort, then you follow the rules. If you don't, and cause a scene, you can be arrested.

100% preventable by that stupid fuck. And he can take that "medical exemption" that chick is wailing about and shove it up his medically exempt ass.

Did you notice how the crowd was cheering when he got arrested? "You are such an asshole, you know that buddy?" Yep, 99% of Canada feels this way.

As much as these "mah freedom" assholes are saying "they've had enough", well, so have the rest of us law abiding Canadians. More and more you're seeing the silent, polite majority speak out and react.

These vocal minority are what is wrong with the country, despite the fact that they think they are what's right with it.

Happy fucking long weekend.... I'm going to go drive in the snow now.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My bad... I thought you were being a stereotypical American who was bad with Canadian geography, and just stopped caring.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even if I were that stereotypical ugly American, even we know that ski lifts are Canada's public transportation system, not their road system.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fake news. Everyone knows it's dogsled.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dogsled? You mean a privately owned carriage where you sit in the back while being driven about by someone who is rewarded with scraps? That's a limo buddy.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nah, it's a dogsled... which is a step up from a palanquin, because you don't get that annoying small talk with people.