Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not doubting that, but why? (no sarcasm)

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Germany just shut down the Nord pipeline.
    Probably not their idea...

They have to source fuel from somewhere else.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Europe gets a lot of natural gas from Russia, particularly in winter for heating, so we can expect that demand to shift due to sanctions and raise prices for alternative sources. US will probably try to increase production to blunt the impact (last thing Biden wants is for energy prices to be a political issue, especially when the faux-anti-war Republicans are already saying some downright weird shit about Ukraine), but that won't be able to alleviate it entirely I would expect.

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Makes sense, thanks.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Maybe they should have thought about that before fighting tooth-and-nail against their own nuclear energy production for the last two decades? Their clean energy policies have been so idiotic that they had to start building new coal plants just meet by the demand because their renewable energy sources have been abysmal.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now is one of those moments where I would like to point out that if the US had seriously invested in alternative energy technology, those companies would be in stupidly high demand right now, but instead we're living in the stupidest possible timeline where Russia can plunge us into the threat of war, and we don't do shit because high gas prices make pee-pee's shrink in the EU.

Like, that would have been a credible threat: "we will sanction your dicks off, and we'll heavily subsidize the alternative energy stuff to EU allies so they depend less on Russian energy, keeping this economic downturn as a permanent condition."

Small dick energy leads to stupid dick moves.

Dicks.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Those boys in the Sahara need to get their shit together and be like "we can wire you enough solar energy to turn all of Europe into a glowing sauna, just sign on the dotted line."

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just saying of all the weird nationalist movements going around, why energy independence isn't a bigger one is fucking beyond me.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because these "nationalist" movements, are basically proto-fascist movements. They are driven not by a genuine and sober analysis of the interests of the nation, but by a variety of collective emotions (well described by Umberto Eco). Alternative energy is coded as feminine and weak, and they oppose it for the same reason they oppose saving money by driving a Prius: it's "for fags."

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But....fags suck a lot of dick, and who's a bigger dick than fascists?

Jeez, these people just can't seem to get out of their own way sometimes.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

We were heading toward energy independence in the second half of 2019. Politicians needing cheap political wins combined with people being uncomfortable with the extraction methods made it only fleeting.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole insanity of a fossil fuel economy aside, oil and gas remain fungible commodities, which means we are not isolated from price fluctuations in the broader market. Even if we produce as much as we consume, those producers can choose to sell it abroad if they can get a better price there.

On a strategic level, my dad once said "why burn your own reserves when you can burn someone else's for cheap?" It's not like this stuff is infinite.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

In theory, sure. In practice, there was so much natural gas produced as a byproduct of fracking that it drove the domestic prices into the floor anyway.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So this tweet was posted a half hour after you and I had this brief exchange:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1496241709285576715

It really sums it up.

15. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This fucking guy.

"With blatantly illegal window tint, which I’m sure he has never been pulled over for, only because he is white."
    "How does a US Congressman drive around with obviously illegal window tint in FL and get away with it? If he was black he would’ve already gotten 75 tickets for it and had it searched 45 times."

One: Window tint in Florida isn't illegal.
    Two: How would they know he's white if they can't see him through the window tint?

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

His commentary is whatever, but the tweets he's highlighting are the exact juxtaposition I'm talking about. "Gas prices are crippling us, how dare Biden do this! But also if I drive anything less than a Ford Penetrator 950, people will think I'm a fag who is ok with pedestrians and children surviving the average crosswalk."

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So what I’m hearing is we NFT gas. Got it.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Non-Fungible Tetraethyllead. Sure it may have given Boomers permanent brain damage, but it solved the knocking issue in our engines.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Because, it costs a lot to poison $20,000 worth of food. Who can afford that with these gas prices?