Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I'm sure China is thrilled that Russia triggered the biggest strategic alignment of NATO in 60 years.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree. I don’t think anyone has the stomach for another costly, bloody war. Even if this particular one has a legit, we’ll-defined enemy. And I think Putin knows that.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah. Per my last post, if Turkey gets drawn in or if one Pole gets killed even by accident, we are in for a really shitty war.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree. And unfortunately, there’s only one real solution for someone like Putin. I hate sounding like John Bolton. I don’t think sanctions will matter. Unless they can sanction him into being killed by his own people.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

you mean like this

I think this will end with putin being made to disappear either by his own military, some civilian russian group cosplaying as a militia, or one very lucky sob

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yep. I'm actually more concerned about who comes after him. Russia is one of the fasting aging countries demographically. All of the people who went through Soviet military academies and public service schools are being aged out of leadership roles quickly. The next age range are the people that grew up when the Russian educational system crashed in early 80s and then further crashed in the late 80s when the USSR fell. There are going to be some even crazier zealots down the road.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

At least he was nice enough to wait until after the closing ceremonies.

Read closer... it's a clickbait title/headline. Go figure.

Those are 150 municipal leaders. Out of how many tens of thousands? They make it sounds like these are Feds with high level appointments, but it's not.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That being said, though, this is what I think has to happen. It has to really be stopped from within.

I doubt the masses will organize against him, but it might be a ripe time for a regime change internally... one that might be accepted with minimal push back.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

perfect for someone with ADD brain like myself. Fuck.

I stand by my opinion that he will be disappeared by some element in his own country however

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I recall correctly, Putin is secretly the richest man on Earth. He has billions scattered around the globe, and while some of the sanctions can be uncomfortable, it's unlikely he or anyone in the inner circle will actually feel them. Also, he's 69 years old. He's looking at securing a legacy, and he's made it further than most who've sat on Russia's throne. If the West freezes an account or two, I don't think it matters to him much. It will take time for the financial impact to hit: the ruble tanked, but they had to expect sanctions and started liquidating what they'd need/want.

I don't think killing Putin solves anything. A destabilized Russia is worse than an aggressive Russia, because that is how nuclear weapons start to float around. Russia with Putin is a pain in the ass. Russia without Putin is a potential global apocalypse. He knows that and he's playing that card. Right now, Putin is the safest man on Earth.

The folks near him stand to get/remain rich. He's betting that cheaper energy will soothe the players once this is over, and within the next decade, they'll have a few more billions to split between them.

Also, remember that COVID decimated Russia and they are facing a tremendous decline in quality of life. Putin's internal pressure isn't removal, it's justifying why the country is in decay. A "reunification" that the West opposes gives him the right excuse. "The West interferes and keeps us struggling, and if it wasn't for Putin, they'd be at your doorstep making your children gay atheists, and turning you into McSlaves."

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just need the guy who voiced Collossus in the Deadpool movies to start doing voice overs for Russian propaganda in the news, like RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

"European Land War, it builds ze character. What, you planning to do in winter with Olympics finished? No sporting, time for war."

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m a tad concerned about the Russians taking over the Chernobyl site. What’s the game there?

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Occam's razor says it's the shortest path to Kiev. Or there's gonna be some weird comic book shit about nuclear super soldiers.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It’s on the shortest route from Belarus to Kiev, so hopefully nothing.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Or they’re worried about the Ukrainians going full scorched earth and cracking it on purpose.

19. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t think they have the ability to do much with the old nuclear material. What I’m unsure of right now are the background radiation levels around the site and in Pripyat. How long can they reasonably be in the area before it’s a problem.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Now Chinese aircraft are entering Taiwan airspace. Awesome.