Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Zelensky just posted the video of it getting hit on his Instagram account. Yikes.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As if being a climate-destroying petrostate wasn't enough, Putin has to give the world another reason to fear building nuclear power plants.

3. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

5. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

In the event of a nuclear war or zombie apocalypse- the LAST thing I want is to survive to become subsistence farmer in a shitty post apocalyptic world. Subsistence farming sucks balls now - fuck living like that in even worse conditions.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I'm not afraid of dying so much as I am of dying painfully. That old joke of "when I go, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my father, not crying and screaming like the passengers in his car." During my time in the hospital I saw, and worse, heard, too many people just absolutely going through horrible shit at which they had no chance of surviving. I've seen more than a few family members and friends go through the same as well. I don't want any part of that fate.

Unfortunately though, as I've learned through personal experience with fucking evil situations, my body has that "you're gonna try to push through no matter what" switch as a default in case of emergency. It's worked out great for me so far, but at a certain point in life I know I will wish I could turn that switch off.

The idea of subsistence farming and all that doesn't scare me though. It's the people that scare me.

7. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If shit truly goes down, I’m gonna hop on down to Austin with a copy of “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell,” shouting “LET ME IN, PLEASE, I’M A DOOMER OPTIMIST!”

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Austin will break out in civil war before this is all over with. It's either the super hippy ultra liberal type, or the trucker convoy type. Pretty sure they make you pick a side at the Travis county line. Personally, I would pay for tickets to watch them fight each other.

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FUCK AUSTIN.

Sorry, I can't say that enough.

Anyway, I just heard on Fox news that the Russians have taken control of that nuclear plant.

The UN says that is a war crime, and I'm sure that Putin feels really bad about it.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t know what it means to “have control” of it. From what I’ve read, the normal staff are still operating it. But now Russian soldiers are just inside the facility or something. And those dickheads are too stupid to know how to operate anything inside. But they aren’t stupid enough to fuck with it in a real way. Nothing I’ve seen with regard to the Russian army has been the least bit impressive in any way.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

No surprise that they’re stupid. Decades of lousy or even completely absent education does have its effects after a while. That’s why the rich ones send their kids here.

12. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See the Southeast United States...

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

This is actually a massive issue in Russia that isn't getting much coverage. The generation that takes over after Putin grew up in the 80s when the educational system in the USSR crashed twice.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Also, a country where basically organized crime has run it since. Corruption, bad schools, malnourishment and rotting infrastructure…..jackpot.

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean is he wrong though? Not like our drone program isn’t an embarrassingly transparent “legal” work around to targeted assassinations.

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dunno, maybe I’ve got a tin foil hat on, but I would not be surprised if there’s covert teams on the ground in Russia waiting for the signal. Not that it’s THE plan, but it’s probably A plan.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's more a practical consideration. Assassinating the leader of a nuclear-armed state is reckless as hell. When JFK was assassinated the Soviets immediately sent letters of condolence, emphasized they were not involved, etc. No one wants the possible outcomes of one nuclear power whacking the leader of another.

19. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aside from, yes, reckless as hell....Graham is not some MTG fuckball, he's one of the senior-most Senators and can make a credible claim for speaking on behalf of the entire GOP. Him saying that kind of dumb shit off the cuff definitely makes negotiating peace harder, and fuels Russian propaganda (and paranoia), essentially doing Putin's work for him. It's a cunt move, at best. I can't think of another time when one of the senior-most executives called for a straight up assassination of a foreign leader, Trump's bullshit notwithstanding. It's simply not done...it's like calling Boebert retarded in a session: yes, that's what we're all thinking, but saying it out loud makes her antics that much harder to manage, and it makes moving forward impossible.

And....no, there's no team on the ground in Russia waiting for a signal. One of my Peace Corps fam works for the State Department in Russia (and she did a stint in Ukraine), and they are surveilled constantly. You don't sneak military assets like that around just to wait around and risk get caught with a Seal team posted up outside the Kremlin. There may be a handful of plans to make moves that are getting reviewed/revised right now, and if someone from on high says "go", then those assets start to move. There would need to be a tremendous coordinated effort: intel on how to do it, prepping for fallout, tactical intel on when the opportunity is most realistic...there might be a team or two within a few hours flight, and there's a rough sketch of a plan or three, but we don't have guns sitting around waiting on someone to tell them to assassinate the Russian president. Again, it just doesn't work that way.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed. You don't send in the SEALs to kill a foreign leader, you have the CIA fund a local extremist group to do it for you.