Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

@Fiveslide Re: driving defensively.

I wasn't sure another thread would be better for more info on this topic so I'll just continue it here.

I'm a novice when it comes to street riding bikes. Now, the bike I'll have is just an electric assist cargo bike so I'll be topping out at 20-25mph and sticking to in town roads. No highways or faster speed limit areas.

I've been reading about safe biking online. Most of the major points are to be seen - wear highly visible clothes and lights if possible, don't hug the shoulder and maintain your physical presence in your lane, give parked cars wide berth to avoid getting doored, give clear arm signs for turning.

As someone (anyone else, chime in)with some road experience, anything you can add?

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gas prices just went down $.01 over here.
    Go Biden!

3. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Never tailgate, on-coming traffic turning left behind the car ahead of you will never see you. Same for the car turning right or left off of a perpendicular street on your right. If sitting in traffic, I always point the bike in a direction for an exit. That way, if you hear tires squealing behind you, nail the throttle towards your exit so you're not mashed between cars.

Always assume nobody sees you, because many of them don't.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And even when they see you, don't assume they do.

The only time I was hit on my bike was when a woman had established eye contact with me and then proceeded to drive right into me. Serious WTF moment.

Some drivers just don't relate with anything smaller or different than a car. It's like their brain doesn't know how to process the physics of a non-car (speed, direction, etc) and therefore just remove it from the driving calculations.

If you're going through an intersection and there are no other cars going with you, but there is a car turning left coming at you, across your path, assume they don't see you and will do so.

My biggest piece of advice for riding my motorcycle was assume you were invisible and nobody saw you. Drive 100% defensively.

5. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always rode with my headlight on bright during the day, figured it helped a little. I see some newer bikes have flashing lights during daytime riding.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They are now at 199.9 per liter here now, almost 6/gallon.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Russia is threatening to strand an American astronaut in space. If there were ever a mission for Space Force, this would be it.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

@Fiveslide thanks for the tips, the one about positioning yourself to an escape is not something I've read or would have thought to do.

I can see how that is the case. People look for cars and everything else gets filtered. I've done it myself once by mistake, scared me enough that I'm super careful now. There was a pedestrian coming up on the sidewalk to cross over the street I was on at dusk and I just did not see them. Luckily they walked around the back of my vehicle instead of the front. Maybe I would have seen them if they had come in front, maybe not... but it scares me to think that I could have hit someone. And, like you, the one time I got hit on my bike riding up a sidewalk was from a guy who made eye contact at a full stop and then accelerated as I was just in front of him. It's nuts. The brain filtering out anything but a car is a thing.

My reflective vest and bands and lights are gonna be garish but I don't even care.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's all good advice. I'd add: don't ever ride in shorts or without gloves. (Unless you like picking asphalt out of abrasions.)

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

musk it putting on his cape

11. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone here thinks China offers assistance to Russia and complicate matters further?

12. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We are living in a Tom Clancy novel, I swear to God. The question is, Executive Orders or Red Storm Rising?

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One ping only.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I would be surprised if that happens. China gains nothing from intervening and everything from sitting back and letting Russia destroy itself.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

China, like always, will make the moves that benefit them. Advance their strategy of economic imperialism while the West is distracted, and take the opportunity to be a pain the ass of the US/Europe if the opportunity arises, but only if it's free to do so. They're not going to incur heavy costs to back Putin's nonsense.

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t think they would either. But I wonder if they are considering testing the water to see how Biden would react. I think there is very little to gain from helping Russia at this point. Being China’s bitch might sound fun for a minute until they realize how expensive it would be to prop them up constantly.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

From China’s perspective, their main competition in the Eastern Hemisphere is more demographically depressed than they are. This war is a gift.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So some headlines are indicating that China might actually offer them military assistance. I hope it’s not actually true.

19. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Putin's TKD belt was only honorary, but his Judo is legit. Musk doesn't know how to take a fall, he's like to break something.