Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Turkey season is about to start, but other than that, hunting season is over. Might as well kill some Russians.

I don't know if they taste like chicken, though.

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cannibals called humans "long pork".

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

If I had no kids or family, and no steady job, I could see that as potentially being appealing to me. You’re basically doing dead end shit at that point over here anyway, why not get some excitement in your life?

4. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the idea that war is fun is incredibly stupid, or denotes someone as a sociopath. I've seen a few humanitarian crises over the past few years, and it...does something to you to see peoples lives discarded into the streets, upended and rendered meaningless. To be there as it's happening....fuck that.

Also, their social media accounts seem fun, but they automatically omit the last video: the one where they realized they have fucked around and are indeed about to find out.

Lastly, it's not a great look to risk being caught, held captive and your own government having to negotiate for your dumbass to be released, if it comes to that. Not to mention all the fun Russian propaganda will have with them in the meantime.

Most of the combat vets I know would only go back for their unit/team, not for some sense of adventure. If you want excitement, go to Alabama, do a FUCK ton of drugs, strip naked, cover yourself in motor oil, put two pigs and two chickens in a shopping cart, march into Wal-Mart at 1 am, proclaim yourself sovereign ruler of said Wal-mart, turn the cart with the animals over, exclaim something about "my dukes, my duchesses!" and chase them around til something fun happens.

Some of these people just have no imagination....

FWIW, I said Alabama, because most of the ones in Louisiana still have my picture up from the last time I tried to colonize a Wal-mart in the name of the kingdom.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think soldiers are drawn back into combat because of PTSD. Remember the end of The Hurt Locker?

6. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have not seen the photo in question. They might have been rounds for a ZPU or KPV which are slightly bigger at 14.5x114mm. For context, the Russian .50 equivalent is the DShK which uses a 12.7x108mm round.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Maybe the “real world” is just too complex for them.

4711BAED-AC7B-4DC4-8F4D-02E5B8444506.jpeg

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can just imagine the absolute boredom of every day life after coming back from a war zone. I’m not even a vet and I find it so mundane.

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I disagree with both of you. I'm sure you could find some who are sociopaths as DD asserts, however Savage Henry (remember him) summed it up very well in one of his posts. You train to do the job and like any endeavor you train for, you want to be able to do it and know that you can do it well. There are aspects that can be fun and in the moment, it's knowing you're good at your job. Internalizing and living with the consequences of being good at it comes later.

Then, there's the adrenaline rush...that can be quite addictive, especially if you're not really finding purpose with your post military life here in the states. It's not because of PTSD. I know for me personally, I had to find a career post military life that has a sense of purpose. Working in corporate America, would kill me.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Is hyperarousal not a symptom of PTSD?

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well that was oddly specific.

12. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of our local legislators has a history of banning anyone who disagrees with him from his "official" Facebook page. For some reason, I don't know what, he banned me this past week despite the fact I haven't posted anything there in perhaps months. The irony of this is, he is always on social media pretending to be the champion of the peoples' rights, specifically in regards to legislature meetings being closed to the public during Covid.

Normally I wouldn't give a shit, except because he's pissy he hasn't gotten his way over the past year or so, he has built a coalition of people to run against incumbents in districts across the county, including my own. ( His candidate for here is in Facebook video assaulting a neighbor, and yet was found "not guilty" in court a couple weeks ago. ) Ironic, since he's often openly said if you're not in his district, he doesn't care about your opinion.

I drafted a nice letter to the Legislature Chair, informing him of this behavior and that it is in direct violation of the First Amendment according to the Fourth Circuit Court in the 2019 case, Davison v. Randall. Since in the past the Chair has been dismissive of this person's online behavior, I cc'd the entire legislature on the correspondence.

While the Chair hasn't responded, and the dipshit in question hasn't either, a couple of others have and thanked me for bringing it to light. Our legislator encouraged me to run to replace him when he steps down ( no thank you ).

My conundrum is this: Since this is a clear case of peoples' rights being violated, how far do I pursue this? I'm not a litigious person, but I'm sure the ACLU would love to get their hands on this. And it'd be fun to see him take the heat. But it also feels like it'd be bad karma. We'll see. Hopefully the legislature will act on this somehow and censure him... again.

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Damn, you crazy! I just like to go to the sporting goods section and click the pre-lined fishing rods and then weave the line throughout the aisles like tripwires.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So Putin defended JK Rowling as a victim of "cancel culture" due to her anti-trans views, and Twitter's greatest wordsmith hit 'em with:
    That's just a well crafted joke that is.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Thats pretty clever.

Russia is bringing its lone aircraft carrier home for repairs. Anyone want to take a wild guess as to where it was originally built and where the technical and manufacturing capability has historically been to effectively repair and upgrade it?

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Detroit?

17. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes it is, however, the majority who experience hyperarousal typically try to avoid things that remind them of what causes it.

18. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sort of.
    It’s a chaos that feels familiar and it’s something you can fight back against, whereas the chaos here doesn’t feel familiar and you can’t square up on it. The daily holy fucking shit bullshit where you want to hem someone the fuck up because they deserve it but you can’t because society says it’s unacceptable is a real mind fuck.
    I think, for many, it’s not so much about the act of war as it about having something it’s okay to fight.

this is a super Barney’d down take, but overall, that’s the gist for everyone in my circle at least. Civilian life feels helpless.

19. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So the Fox News affiliate I listen to says that Russia is ready to "settle":

Putin says that stage one of their project is done, and now they just want the Donbas region...

Right, Vlad, that's why you TRIED to seige Kiev*...

*Are we spelling it "Kiev" or "Kyiv" now?
    Because I grew up with Kiev.

20. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Translation: We are getting our asses kicked and are running out of money.