Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Russians fired a missile into a Ukrainian train station, killing at least fifty civilians.
    Or maybe the Ukrainians did it to themselves to make Russia look bad.
    Who can tell?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Given all the horrible things Russia has already done, I don’t think Ukraine needs to stage a false flag attack.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was some Russia-apology subreddit where they were talking about how it's all fake, it's all false flags, etc. Someone had to point out that no one creates a false flag so big it decimates their own country.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There’s a subreddit called UkraineVideoUpdates or something similar. Watching even a handful of the videos recorded by cell phone while it’s happening is very, very convincing.

Combine that with the sat photos that help corroborate the attacks, yeah, a lot of that has to be real.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

r/UkraineWarVideoReport

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep, that's the one.

Fell down that rabbit hole one night and it was more than enough to convince me that it was pretty much what people were saying it was.

Not sure we've seen a war/invasion/conflict quite like this, where cell phones and video is everywhere by normal, everyday people that are being invaded.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

this is how you get basically the entire world (except China kinda sorta) on one side.

Imagine if the Afghanis had cell phones for video when the US invaded? Not saying the two are the same, but obviously there wouldn't have been the same universal support, and it wouldn't have lasted anywhere near as long.

I think this changes the calculus for every war moving forward.

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sounds like it’s time for super duper double dog sanctions.

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Russia has officially said that all of these "attacks" on Ukrainian civilians are false-flag operations just to make Russia look bad... Because... Reasons?

Do the Russians think that they are Jedi masters, where they can just wave their hand and say "This isn't the aggressive country you're looking for"?

#14109 dixiebandit69, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  10. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You and the rest of the Western world aren't the target of their retarded lies. That would be his own people. This propaganda is aimed squarely at home

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

They will sue for any Russian assets held out outside of Russian borders. Russia will also have an impossible time getting any kind of credit from the market. When Argentina defaulted in the late 80s, it destroyed their economy and toppled their government.

The last time Russia defaulted was right around the Bolshevik Revolution.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want to know who will pay for the genocidal level of civilian deaths. Russia fails completely at achieving any of their “stated” political goals so all they do is murder civilians indiscriminately, rape, loot, and move on.

How can they be held accountable? I feel the ICC is going to amount to bullshit.

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In terms of genocides over the past century, how do y'all think this one compares?

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, I try to look at these acts individually but if you want to compare to the Holocaust or the Armenian genocide, or something, the numbers aren’t the same.

I’m also not sure what you are implying with your question. Does one act have to reach the scale of something much larger for it be taken as seriously?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think this is the most public and globally recognized action, maybe ever. Most of the world has come together to denounce what Putin is doing. By that measurement alone I think it's the most impactful.

As to the Holocaust... I really have no idea what the public sentiment or knowledge was around it. Did they know it was going on? If so, to what extent? By all accounts that I've seen, when the soldiers liberated the camps they were horrified and shocked... whereas today we get cell phone video going viral 5 minutes after it happened.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't forget the last time Russia tried to commit genocide against Ukraine, (Holodomor).

Also, again one of the negotiation requirements has to be something binding that prevents Russia from doing this again.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Eisenhower was basically Nostradamus in that he made the soldiers that secured the camps take pictures of everything because he knew people would try to deny it happened.

Honestly, we can either crush their economy with sanctions or go to war. That’s it. All of the international organizations and authorities are useless if they don’t have the means to enforce anything. And when it does come time to put together some international coalition to enforce some law or treaty, it just means the US does nearly everything anyway.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unconfirmed reports of use of chemical weapons against Mariupol, which if confirmed would be uh... not great.