Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

He is sooooo butt-hurt that Musk blocked him. His recent ranting about it is laughably absurd.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have no idea who he is or why I should care. But all good, because I don't.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's like someone took the statement "you couldn't possibly make Twitter shittier than it is" as a challenge. As if what Twitter needs is more toxic 15-year-old edgelord takes.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Twitter banning you is not against the 1st Amendment! Musk taking over Twitter is a danger to the 1st Amendment!

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Twitter has nothing at all to do with the 1st amendment.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The word on how the Moskva was sunk is pretty impressive. The ship was defended by a two classes of radar. A higher quality system that only has 180 degrees of visibility, and a second system that has a full 360 degrees. The Ukrainians wrapped a drone around behind the ship to draw the eye of the main radar, and then fired a missile from the other direction. They timed this to occur during a storm which they knew would be generating waves that the missile could "hide" amongst from the second radar.

7. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What are the chances Ukraine had all of this specific intelligence on the capabilities/vulnerabilities of the ship's radar versus this being a pretty clear "pssst, come over here for a sec" moment from Western intelligence agencies/military?

8. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably a bit of both. The ship was originally built in Ukraine but recently modernized by Russia.

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, its been a few decades since I've looked at Russian ship radar systems, but there's likely at least half a dozen radar systems on that ship. This is how these systems regardless of country work together:

the 360° system is likely the search system which don't have the needed resolution to create a firing solution. It likely scans for surface and airborne objects.

The 180° limited scan radar is likely the fire control radar for the surface to surface missiles on the ship (the big ass canisters on each side of the superstructure) and is useless for airborne threats. It likely has nothing to do with the defense of the ship.

This class of ship does have a navalized version of the S300 Russian SAM system as well as point defense systems that utilize sector search radars that will track and compute a firing solution for the SAMs/point defense guns, but as was posted, there was a storm and the associated heavy sea state adds a significant amount of clutter to hide sea skimming missiles.

I chalk this one up to the Ukrainians knowing the capabilities of their enemy's weapons and biding their time until favorable conditions to ensure a successful attack.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It always kind of amazes me to see what kind of knowledge there is kicking around here.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is there any photos or videos of the sinking? Am I right that the Russians first said, "oh we had a fire, going back to port for repairs," and then, had to admit it sunk, and they were like, "yeah, it sunk in a towing accident on the way back to port" or something like that? Because, I'd think if they had to admit it sunk, there must be some photo evidence?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wish I could find my favourite photo... it's taken from the beach, with huge smoke plumes off to sea, with a big fucking John Deere looking out over the water, as if waiting to be able to tow it back to the farm.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Wow Twitter an absolute mess. Good luck trying to justify poison-pilling a buyout offer with an 18% premium.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm still waiting for all the iT's NoT LiQuId bros to explain how Musk can afford this purchase.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If he sells his stake, crashes the stock, and then buys back in, he could very well get 51% without being an insider or having to report. He'd own control before anyone knew.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just want people to never use the word "liquid" in a discussion about billionaires and taxes again. That's really all I want.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You mean it’s a bullshit cop-out when people reflexively say that all his wealth is tied up in equity? I agree.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. Tell me that if you tax him he won't be able to afford as many Princesses of Mars as hookers for his John Carter harem, just as long as you don't predicate your entire argument on the assumption that I've never heard of stocks before.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... I love how people think he's got $53b just sitting in a savings account.

For fuck sake, I'm not even that liquid... I could come up with some pretty good cash on relatively short notice, but it would still take me time to make it liquid.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I do believe he's in a better financial position than he was. His Ted talk yesterday(?) where he basically explained how the SEC and the banks forced him to plead guilty and accept shit or else they would remove his financial services, effectively killing Tesla, was quite interesting.

He's coming out swinging right now, and I think that's because he's nowhere near as beholden to the banks as he was earlier on.

There's some major shit brewing in the financial sector lately, and I expect that there will be a huge push back and reckoning sooner rather than later.