Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Twitter announced that there haven't been any unusual enforcement actions and that the subscriber changes were organic.

2. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've seen a few of my Leftie friends declaring on FB that they're deleting their twitter accounts but haven't seen one Rightie friend saying they're joining. I also have about 200 FB friends so.... yeah. Probably doesn't mean dick

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That one isn’t really a meme. That’s actually is how that conversation went for three hours.

I could say that I care, but who the fuck cares because Twitter is a forest fire that has flames made of AIDS and smoke directly from the centre of the devil’s asshole. Let it all burn down along with anybody who still actually likes it or thinks it can be “saved”. It doesn’t deserve to be. No matter who moderates it, who owns it, it will ALWAYS be the worst thing on the internet.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The conversation where the general counsel couldn’t answer any questions that she came on the podcast specifically to answer? She deserves every bit of ridicule. Moron.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Musk buying Twitter is definitely how the platform dies right? Or at least loses any remaining veneer of legitimacy?

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What legitimacy does it have now that you're envisioning would change?

I don't think Musk is taking this on as a community service project. It won't die under his ownership. It may be restructured, the source code is made public, and then at some point he sells it . . . then it might die, but I doubt it.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah.... I don't get all the doom and gloom that people have. It's a shit platform now, even the creator, Jack Dorsey, agrees, and thinks Musk buying it is a good thing.

My personal tinfoil hat theory is that he's looking for illegal manipulation done by shorts. He HATES the shorts. He's been talking about the "evil algorithm" and other such thing that he wants to expose... what better way than by buying the company and getting complete, confidential access to EVERYTHING?

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

An update from the whatsapp group.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy shit. White phosphorus combusts on contact with oxygen, no?

Re, Musk: Tesla is wildly over-valued. Eventually it has to come down, especially as other manufacturers start to flood the market with electric cars, and the gap between their offerings and Tesla's closes. So, Musk knows his wealth is something of a ticking time bomb, and the sooner he diversifies it, the safer. He hates the shorts, because he knows eventually they will be right, and his best hope is that the stock price goes down to reality in dinks and dunks, instead of a plunge.

Also remember that Tesla doesn't rely on traditional marketing, and Musk can claim a lot of responsibility for his following. If he views Twitter as his own personal marketing arm, then this move makes sense: he gets a lot more control over that, so his own promotion can work better and he needs to take on another venture to reduce the risk of Tesla tanking, and taking his wealth with it. He's also watched Bezos' Washington Post ownership and realized the value of that in shaping opinion on politics, personal branding and competition. Musk has no need of a media empire if he controls one of the default platforms, he is sort of threading the needle between WaPo and Google. I don't think there's immediate competition to Twitter, unless Musk lets bots, trolls, etc. devolve it into MySpace. Worst case scenario it becomes a shittier hybrid of LinkedIn and TikTok.

I wonder if there's a technological component that aligns with the StarLink stuff?

My .02 is Twitter is an abomination, and Dorsey realizes that his time is limited. They had to ban the President of the United States, and several US representatives, and I don't think they will ever fully recover from that as a platform. The fact that they are in the crosshairs of a free speech discussion at all means their business model is fragile, and of all the major tech companies, they stand the least chance to survive major regulation or reform intact. They don't have the clout, the tech, the brand or the finance that the rest of the FAANG group does, not to mention a Microsoft or an Apple wouldn't touch them. They can't be easily displaced, but there's also not a viable path to growth. Twitter is something of a fluke as far as communication companies are concerned, and just looking at the politics alone, they have a rough road ahead with the current ownership intact.

I'm not a fan of Musk, because his cult of personality is starting to have it's own warped reality. Yes, he's led an amazing life, and I'm sort of miffed the motherfucker hasn't tried to become Batman/Iron Man. Him owning Twitter means a lot of his bullshit gets elevated, a la Joe Rogan, and that's a mixed bag at best. Also, the idea of the world's richest man gaining more control over people's default sources of information doesn't bode well for reversing the trend of misinformation, propaganda and the curdling of the mainstream internet.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The big question I have is just how much his ownership will influence Twitter? Do you think he'll change how he uses it, personally, just because he owns it? I tend to think not.

I don't think he's a moron, and I think he will understand the responsibility he has.

I guess time will tell.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think he's figured out a pattern of how to dance around these scenarios. He seems to toss out memes and drive-by jokes, which gets people to put their guard down. Then he quickly moves his pieces on the board and he's gotten exactly what he's wanted before anyone else has time to adjust. He knows exactly what buttons to push and when.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think if the knives ever come out for him it’ll be because of this. I’m not versed in the crazy SEC regulations on stocks and company buyouts but he’s done some questionable things all under the guise of “just trolling lol blaze 420 faggot!” At some point that is going to ding him. He keeps adding spinning plates and if he doesn’t deliver on multiple front (keeping Tesla profitable, now Twitter) and it can all come down pretty quickly.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

if that meme were the opposite, with the "conservatives" going further right, I feel it would be very accurate. I used to be moderate leaning right, and now my views, which haven't really changed... evolved, maybe, but still in the same general area, place me firmly on the moderate but left leaning side

also, why the fuck is he shit posting that as the CEO now? Did he get bored calling hero rescue divers pedophiles again?

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t think he owns it yet and there’s a chance the deal might not go through. Part of me thinks he’s trying to burn the deal with all this new shitposting the last few days. I don’t think he thought the Twitter people would actually go for the offer.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

didn't a lot of the banned shitheads get let back on though? Was twitter just doing that in anticipation of him taking over or what?

19. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think some of them just left or deactivated their accounts as part of the culture war bullshit. I’m not aware of any bans being overturned.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Washington Post wrote an entire op-ed today over that one tweet, attempting to explain how wrong it is. The meltdown of self-righteous assholes continues.