Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This one is too close to home. That puke lived less than an hour east of here and had to drive right through here to get to Buffalo. I shudder to think how easily he could have very easily not had enough gas in the tank and just stopped here instead.

As chilling as it is, it's not surprising, and part of me thinks it was only a matter of time. We're in the northeast, but there's a lot of racist motherfuckers around here.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I was at an arcade place yesterday with my son, before this happened, and kept watching the door thinking how easy of a "target" it would be because there are so many people in one big area, all of whom are distracted. My CCW was in a safe in my truck at the time, which really unnerved me -- gotta get better about carrying it all the time. Needless to say, when I got home and that happened an hour or two later, it felt very surreal. I'm the *paranoid* dude who has to know where the exits are and sits at dinner facing the entrance. Fortunately my wife gets it though.

I wish the covid-standard of no crowds still existed.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Everyone should consider stocking up on food.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Surely this ominous warning needs no elaboration.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Remember at the beginning of the pandemic when everyone made a sourdough starter? That was pretty gay, but also not a terrible idea.

Russia has been prevent Ukrainian wheat exports from leaving ports, which accounts for a sizable portion of global wheat supply. The US and Canada can grow their own, but that combined with other supply chain shortages could clear shelves by August.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ukraine accounts for a sizable portion of global wheat exports, but only accounts for ~3% of the total supply. As you mentioned, the US grows its own (at a clip double the rate of Ukraine). China and India are double again the US's production. I'm sure we'll see some unfortunate prices, but worst case scenario we can take the corn out of our soft drinks and eat it instead.

#14306 Aetius, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let’s take it out of our gasoline as well. Then maybe chicken feed won’t be almost $20 for a fifty pound bag.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

There’s not a huge of difference between exports and supply if it rots on a dock in Odessa. What concerns me is trade retaliation for when the US starts cutting oil exports.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know if this surprises people or not, but I'm against ethanol subsidies and ethanol requirements for gasoline. The numbers are in and they cause more pollution than they prevent, so they wouldn't be worth the cost even if they were free, much less if we have to pay for them.

10. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We never really stopped. We’d always kept extra on hand anyway, and then in January 2020 my wife said she had a bad feeling about this thing in China. I went into action. Since then we’ve had a steady supply that we use on a regular basis to rotate, ensuring everything is edible.

I don’t consider us “preppers”, but when stuff like pasta, flour and sugar was disappearing off the shelves, we were in good shape.

What I’m looking at now is becoming a little more self-sufficient with various fruits and other things we can grow and store ourselves.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My point was that the media is running with headlines like "Ukraine grows 10% of the wheat market" or "Ukraine and Russia together account for nearly a third of global wheat supplies" without putting that into context that the global wheat market is only counting wheat that is exported from one country to another. When you account for domestic production as well, Ukraine is only responsible for 3% of wheat grown in the world.

12. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe everybody will finally stop being overweight wastes of human space if there's a global forcing of going keto for a couple of months.

13. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The US grows far more than enough grain to feed itself. Supply chain issues will continue here and there but we won't run short of food. It's going to suck for poor countries that rely on imports though.

14. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

True, but stopping ethanol production for fuel isn't going to have much of an impact on the price of corn. It's a global commodity and shortages will drive up the price regardless of whether or not we use ethanol for fuel.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Owing to the fearmongering on this forum I went out and bought 10 lbs of dried pasta. I am now ready for the Wheat Wars.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Everyone should consider killing their neighbors and taking their provisions.

17. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you’re someone who suffers from Celiac disease, or are a bandwagon jumper who thinks you do, now is your time to shine.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It won’t be fearmongering when you’re sitting in your bunker being thankful for all your cans of SpeghettiOs, you fat fuck. Also, I hope you get Celiac disease right before you have to break into your rations.

19. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How do you know who has a stockpile?

20. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No sauce? Seems like poor planning.