Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That’s why I made it plural.
    You’ll know when they’re all dead and you can go through all their shit, right?

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But if I go to all the effort and they turn out to be poor planners I'll be disappointed. And possibly hungry depending on timing.

3. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Having all your neighbors’ stuff, regardless of how they plan, is still more stuff for you.

Also, eat your neighbors.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I make sauce in 8 quart batches. I'm due to make another batch in a few days. But since it does not require wheat, I felt no sense of panic getting it done.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I’m gonna try the Liver King’s diet

straight roids man

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I read about the wheat thing recently. I have some ideas of what might happen but it's better to be safe than sorry. I just about got through all my early pandemic flour so I went ahead and got about 25lbs of flour and a 10 lb sack of sugar for good measure. Plus some pasta and some frozen veggies. With the prices soaring every grocery trip, might as well lock in my price now for stuff I can store and use gradually.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aside from that period where we all got really into bread making, are people really using flour at a high rate? I can't even remember the last time I used flour.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I kind of go in spurts. I do make bread but also a lot of pizza dough. I also have to maintain a sourdough starter. I just woke it up from the fridge recently. I baked my kids bday cake as well. Ice cream cake, deeelicious

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Same. I make pizza dough somewhat frequently and have been experimenting different types of bread recipes. I transferred custody of my sourdough starter to my mom. She’s retired so she can feed it to make the bread babies.

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They just approved up to 15% ethanol in fuel, up from 10%.. Which is not recommended to be run in things like boats, mowers, motorcycle, and other power equipment. The coast guard actually issued a statement telling people to not buy it for there boats. But the engines in automobiles are so wildly different that it is ok for them.

When it is cheap, there is usually no ethanol in the gasoline, even though the pumps still say it may contain up to 10%. The pumps may still say 10%, you really don't what you're getting, anywhere from 0% to 15%, now

11. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Costco provides a nutrition complete package of canned and dried food for a very reasonable price at the one, two, and three year levels. You just need to have a place to put a pallet.

12. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Make an Only Fans for that and you won't have to worry about inflation.

13. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking LOL if you think people who can't afford basic wheat products can just "settle" for meat and poultry. Keto at the societal level means there's enough game to go around because everybody else starved to death.

14. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To quote Biggie Smalls RIP: "What you think all them guns is for?"

15. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People are technically meat and there seems to be quite an over abundance of those. I mean, if we're going to go full on societal collapse scenario, cannibalism is most certainly going to be on the menu.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yeah the meat prices are just rocketing lately. I remember within the last 5 years, I was able to get the jumbo packs of chicken breasts for 1.29, on sale regularly for .99/lb. We moved here, it was regularly 1.99/lb and sales were infrequent. Then with all this inflation hitting the meats, it's up to 4.60something a lb with an average price per tray of $17 and is constantly sold out.

My walmart app says the last time I bought chicken was in January. Sounds about right.

I just looked, and it now says it is $1.88 a lb?? I don't know what the fuck is going on but I'm about to make a grocery pickup for just chicken and throw that shit in my freezer.

We mostly eat ground turkey, which is also way up in price, with a little chicken thrown in. Occasionally I'll get a whole chicken on sale and cook it down for a ton of meals. Bacon is a rare treat, and we simply can't afford to eat most red meats, unless I'm happening upon a sale or markdown. (or a coworker leaves town and gifts us red meats.)

17. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Chicken prices have risen like crazy for multiple reasons. You have inflation that's run up the price of everything. Then you had some supply issues due to one of the major suppliers trying to switch to a different breed of roosters. They turned out to be less efficient at fertilizing the eggs so less chicks were hatched. Lastly bird flu has hit this year causing flocks to be culled in an attempt to stop its spread.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

This is info I was not aware of.

That being said...

The price marked on my meat trays was 2.96/lb. It was not marked for sale, and the app had it listed as the regular price, not a markdown. Somebody must have goofed up. Oh well, we have chicken for the next year.

19. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bone in chicken breasts are around 2.69/lb. here. Boneless are 3.99/lb. This is in a state that is #3 in poultry production nationally.

20. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you have the freezer space for it, look for local beef cattle farms that sell quarter/half a cow. It's a higher upfront cost, but significantly cheaper in the long run.