Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've actually found the opposite to be true, at least where I am. I've looked into purchasing a half cow, but most of the farmers around me are charging well above sale price for what I'm looking for. Yes, I can get a half cow at ~$8/lb, but I'd much rather wait for the $4.99/lb if you get a 20lb boneless strip steak. There's tons of farms around me offering bulk deals, but most are like 2 rib eye, 10lb ground chuck, 2lb rump roast 10lb sausage for $100. It's an unreasonable amount of money for what you are actually getting. I feel the same way about buying half a cow.

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a little risk of a diminishing return, where if you have $1000+ worth of meat in the freezer, and the power goes out, or that freezer fails for whatever reason....you're out that cash.

I can see paying a bit more to a farm to have it fresh, but freezing it makes it moot.

3. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It all depends on pricing. I don't know where Popped Cherries is getting his from, but around here I bought a quarter of a cow and even with processing costs it came out to be just under $4/lb. That'll last me a whole year, and you're not finding any steaks/roasts/other cuts besides ground for that cheap.

4. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any stockpile of perishables is an investment worth protecting with backup power capabilities. Whether it came in the form of a half cow from a farm or acquired over time from the grocery store. Freezer failure is pretty rare, pretty low on the list of concerns, in my experience. I should knock on some wood, I don't want my freezer to fail.

We keep a lot of pork from the family hog farms. Probably ten to twenty pounds of chicken, some frozen veggies and a handful of microwavable convenience foods. It's all worth more than the cost of an appropriately sized portable generator to protect it in a power failure.

5. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wife and I have been discussing whether or not it's worth adding solar panels to our house for the reasons mentioned. We talked about adding a whole house generator, but I think for the cost, solar with a power wall will put us further ahead.

6. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in upstate rural NY. I can't find half a cow for under $6 a pound and that's just straight meat price. The processing and cut selection and vacuum sealing is another fee on top. There's not a shortage of cow farms up here, but there are not many large commercial farms offering. This is primarily smaller farms with 50-100 cows at a time.

7. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same. We don't eat a lot of beef, so our past purchase of a 1/4 cow was a waste of money. But my folks and a lot of neighbors buy from a guy down the road. Curious, I looked to see what he's getting right now:

"Yes, demand has been crazy, and we are currently sold out but hope to have more bundles available in the next 2-3 weeks. I have a waiting list started and will be contacting you in order of your request. Please note, because of ongoing price increases at every level, our basic bundle price is now $190 (at least the following amounts: 20 lbs. of our signature burger, 7 lbs. of assorted roasts and 6 lbs. of assorted steaks)."

I see that price is effective June 1, and it's his first price raise in two years.

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The prices I've seen in this area is on par with what @Popped Cherries talked about.

It DOES bring down the price of steaks and better cuts I guess, but we just don't eat that kind of stuff so its a net cost increase in our annual bill.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not responding in the Elephants and Jackasses thread, re: school shooting in Texas.

They would certainly be able to respond the quickest.

I just don't understand what is wrong with someone - whether it's an 18 year old or a 50 year old, white, black, republican, democrat - to just shoot people indiscriminately, especially children. What has gone so wrong that human life is so disposable?

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

you're applying logic to an inherently illogical act. Don't do that. By and large these people are mentally ill to such a severe degree that their actions will never make sense.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How do we change that? How do we teach children how precious life is? How do we identify people that need help? How do we help them so this type of thing doesn't happen? We don't have "mental hospitals" like we did when I was a kid, and we are running frontal labotamies on a building full of "deviants" anymore. Is that a factor?

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

That's the million dollar question, and I wish there was an easy answer. I think that in general, school shootings are a symptom, rather than the problem itself. I think that violence would still exist in the absence of America's obsession with guns, it would just take a different form. And I think a lot of that has to do with the discourse, both in the media and at home, that paints others as "different" and "bad." Sadly the local news is constantly having to reinforce that the shooter was a legal US resident, because of where that shooting took place and you know damn well the story certain sides of the political spectrum are gonna run with.

I believe that a push toward diversity and inclusion would go a long way toward stopping these tragedies -- you don't go shoot up a shopping mall full of black people because of your white nationalist ideology, if you have a bunch of black friends and realize the color of someone's skin makes no difference in their character. I don't think it's coincidence that a lot of these happen in rural areas.

I also believe that a lack of universal healthcare is hindering mental health and making these shootings more prevalent. Right now, sadly, you have to have health insurance in order to afford mental health care, and even then the costs can be extreme. It cost me thousands of dollars to get treated for PTSD and depression, and I have (had, back then, but still do too) excellent insurance. So if someone who is not well-off needs help, they're fucked. Even if their parents know they need help. Counseling services in public schools are great in theory, but in practice they can only do so much. If it's a serious issue like these school shooters? Again, better hope you have good insurance, and that you're willing to pay the premiums. Again, I don't think it's a coincidence that the people doing these aren't from well-off families. Our insurance and equitable healthcare access issues in this country are fucked up.

Beyond that, the way you are raised plays a part too. So many kids raise themselves now. I was talking with an interviewee today about how hard it is having to parent, because you have to do it in person and online. You have to watch what your kiddos are watching and have access to. We didn't discuss it, but obviously it's very easily for young adults to get radicalized. Parents need to be aware of that. And I believe that, to some extent, these online media companies hold some responsibility, if not legal then certainly at least moral, to police what type of radical material they allow on their platform to begin with. I know it is a slippery slope, but the stakes are high.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yes, in so many words . We closed down our Psych hospital and now there are homeless people who are a dangerous criminal factor everywhere in the city. This was something that was basically non-existent here 25 years ago, ask Nett. So many people play into this that they branched out to small towns. Working in mental health is really dangerous and it pays for shit for what they have to deal with. That needs to change to attract more help to the industry, because it isn’t getting better. Every year the problem gets larger and the help shrinks.

16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How much do y'all want to bet this guy was on some kind of anti-depressant?

17. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why, think he's getting a refund for defective product or something? Or you worried you're on the same one he was?

#14357 downndirty, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
  18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

you mean wasn't taking his?

possibly. More than likely I'd bet he had a history of untreated mental episodes.

What people don't realize is that antidepressants help with the lows, but they also make you numb to the highs as well. You don't go off and do crazy shit because... you just don't do shit. Anti-depressants make you almost stoic, constantly going between like 4-6 on the scale of emotions.

Shout out to lexapro btw

19. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You spend more money on meds than most people on this board spend on rent.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You'd shit yourself if you saw my rent.