Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is there a motive yet? Given the location there's a lot of potential motives that could fit (including the good old fashioned "random target, because fuck it, this is America").

2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Targeting a doctor he specifically blamed for his back pain.
    We need to ban back pain, and I am on board with that.

3. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think that goes far enough. We need to arm doctors and nurses and get rid of these stupid laws that make hospitals gun free zones. Only law abiding citizens acknowledge gun free zones, so you are always going to get criminals targeting these soft targets.

4. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed.

5. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, because that totally sounds like some thing the hardcore 2A crowd would say.

#14465 dixiebandit69, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  6. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We need to reflect on the years of systemic shitty bedside manner that drove this tortured soul to lash out in such a fashion.

7. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's kind of the point.

(I'm being very sarcastic)

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I’ve had some absolutely shitty doctors — some incredible ones, but some absolutely horrible ones as well. And the last thing I’d ever do is upset any of them. It’s a small world, and everyone seems to know everyone, even in wildly different fields. The moment you piss one doctor off, all the sudden your dentist is drilling a bit deeper than the numbing meds go because you chewed out his brother in law or some shit.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, if every gun law proposed here at TiB, and recently in US Congress were passed today and made law, there would be no more school shootings?

10. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I herniated a disc on Saturday, and apparently of degradation in my L2/L3 one. I'd happily *back* this proposal.

But seriously, it turned me in to a grumpier shit than normal. I had a hard time with patience.

11. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably not immediately, but it would put a major dent into making it extremely difficult to commit a shooting of this type. As with anything, zero is probably not realistic, but it would certainly stop the majority.

13. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's basically saying that since seat-belts don't stop 100% of automobile deaths, there shouldn't be laws requiring people to wear them whenever they're driving. 100% efficacy shouldn't be a requirement for enacting SOMETHING to help curtail these types of incidents.

If an enacted law doesn't work, just repeal it. Or, even if it DOES *cough*abortion rights*cough* you can just repeal that too...

14. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Australia is a pretty telling example. Motherfuckers loved guns. Many still do. It's got a similar "frontier" culture like North America does. They took them away the first time, and no more mass murder.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

to be fair, they also started out as criminals. So they were used to life without guns anyway

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If these recommended laws are passed, and maybe a year or so afterward, a school shooting occurs that kills…let’s say 10+ students, is the reaction going to be “we mourn the loss of life in this shameful act,” full stop?
    What if the perpetrator followed all the new laws to the letter? Type of gun, purchase age, wait time, full background check, ammo purchase intervals, storage, registration, or frequent training certification, etc…

17. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first thing would be, before any laws are enacted, set the expectation that no amount of regulation is going to 100% stop shootings or crimes. It is being put in place to make it as difficult as possible, but it is not a 100% deterrent. We don't need another replay of COVID vaccine efficacy where people are quarreling over 2% points and losing their fucking minds.

If a shooting happened, with all of these new processes, I would first look at what was a weak point where this person was still able to acquire weapons and shoot up a school. The second would be, although we understand these new policies won't stop every crime, there has been a major reduction in these events. Then it would be, thoughts and prayers. Then it would be let's stay resolute and continue to work on the other problems which are causing so many people to reach for violence first.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There will not be laws to prevent dead kids, because kids don't vote.

You want gun control, start shooting politicians, old rich white dudes, or ideally both. Problem solved.

Seriously, if you wanted to do something, you have to start small. Gun census.
    Statewide registry for all firearms, supported by federal grants. The states set whatever responsibility they want, but they have to report a total number of guns in that state to the feds, and they have to keep track of what guns were used in violent crimes seized by police and submit a number (not itemized serial numbers) to the feds. Feds get 2 numbers: how many guns and how many guns seized by cops.

States don't want to do that? No federal money for cops, which means no fancy mil-spec gear. Gun sold in your non-registry state shows up in a mass shooting? Victims fund used to be your highway money. Number of one or both off by too much? Goodbye easy federal money, hello ATF crawling up your state's ass. Give the feds those two numbers, take the money and just do the bare fucking minimum which is pretend you can keep track of who is walking around armed.

We are decades away from effectively preventing anyone from getting a weapon if ever, because guns are easy as shit to steal, 3d print, buy at flea markets, etc. I don't see how law enforcement, who is rapidly getting worse at their actual job, is going to effectively navigate and prevent all the ways a strawman purchase works. Knowing how shitty and flimsy psych evals can be, I don't think any restriction on one's personal freedom to own a firearm will hinge on one for very long. That is literally a layup of a lawsuit for anyone living in Montana.

With those two numbers, we can start to see some basics about what the scope of this issue actually is, and start to align incentives/disincentives for state, county and local law enforcment to address it.

I trust a federal gun law to be political theatre converted into security theatre, accomplish fuck all beyond simply being a nuisance.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't hold out hope on this one. Someone shot Steve Scalise and his politics somehow managed to get worse afterward.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So Im curious what people's thoughts are on Musk having a hissy fit at TESLA about work from home employees? For a dude that seems to 'get it' when it comes to making companies that do cutting edge stuff and break old models this seems like straight up boomer generation nonsense. Part of me sees some benefit of keeping some management on sight to keep up morale for the factory workers that can't but the "software" side of Teslas is what actually makes them stand far apart from the other car companies. Pissing off your IT brain trust seems like a terrible idea given traditional car companies are ramping up their EV production, he's soon going to be in a flooded market competing against companies with scale he isn't close to matching.

Not sure if this is more of a WFH debate or Elon debate but homeboy seems like he's 100% in the wrong here.