Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The simple solution is to push the tracking onto the gun owners. In private gun sales the person who sold the gun should be required to keep a record of who they sold it to and the confirmation record of a clean background check. The person purchasing the gun should do likewise. If the seller legally owns the gun they should be able to pass a background check as confirmation they can legally sell a gun.

This way if a gun turns up used in a crime you start at the beginning of the chain with the 1st owner and work your way down until someone can't produce the records proving they legally transferred the weapon to someone else. Lock this person up.

This solves the scary government database since it is now basically distributed among the gun owners themselves and not available without the warrants that would be required to compel gun owners to produce the paperwork.

Yes this will requiring grandfathering in transactions from before this goes into effect. Any transaction after the effective date would require this paperwork for any private sales going forward and eventually all guns would have paperwork kept by the owners providing traceability. (eventually all guns will transfer ownership as the owners kick the bucket)

Requiring gun owners to maintain some basic paperwork that can provide traceability on guns doesn't seem like much of an onerous thing to me but then again I didn't see the big deal with facemasks either.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are a lot or reasons. For instance, in Georgia (I don't all state and local regs), you do not need a carry permit to have a pistol on your hip or sitting on the front seat of your car. You just need a permit to conceal it in your pocket or glove compartment. Secondly, shot guns are much, much different in terms of lethality than hand guns or rifles. They are useful for bird hunting (typically) or close-range defense. (You put slugs or large shot loads, but you start losing accuracy.) A kid doesn't need a license to drive his go-kart in the field behind his house, but he definitely needs to be 16 and have a license to drive a car. Both types of transportation with a motor and 4 wheels, but different things altogether.

3. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

that’s the prevailing thinking here locally. A) police response was horrible/lack of response, B) they probably shot some kids too

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If they did, then this
    is going to suck. You're a young attorney working in the AG's office and you're tasked with watching all this footage? And it (may) include children being shot and killed? Good luck not becoming an alcoholic.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure but I also have zero faith in Paxton’s office even coming close to doing the right thing. He’s a fucking criminal himself.

On a separate note, I think they should release every gory photo and video for the general public to see. One of the reasons nothing ever gets done in this country is because we have so many buffers in place to keep our delicate feefees from being hurt or we get the vapors from naughty images or words. No one ever sees the bad shit to shock them into action. If you don’t see it, it didn’t really happen.

Shooting wars are so unpalatable these days because we have videos and pictures of the brutality. Watching a man slowly die face down in the dirt hits different when you actually see it. Watch some of the drone footage from the Ukraine war. They should do the same with the school shootings.

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the local school districts down here is now mandating clear or mesh backpacks for the coming school year.

You know, because the Uvalde killer snuck his gun in with a backpack.

This is the same kind of shit that my school district did after Columbine; they implemented a bunch of ridiculous dress code rules* that did nothing but give teachers/ principals/ security guards an excuse to fuck with kids they didn't like.

*Ex: You could not wear a jacket unzipped.
    Why? What safety goal does that accomplish?

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What good are body cams if the Dept can just say they're not going to give over the video?

11. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They need that footage to prove that a perp was resisting right before they use deadly force, duh.

Because when cops take the video, it's God's honest truth.
    When civilians do it, "it doesn't tell the whole story."

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Historically, when the body cam proves that the cops behavior was legit, like if a shooting was “good”, the body cam footage is released within hours if not days. If in this case, the body cam footage shows the cops going full Anakin in the Jedi temple, well, they might try to find a reason to delay.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's the same reason pro-life advocates release videos of late-term abortions. Babies having their heads crushed are fairly brutal visually.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You’re in charge of telling the grieving parents about this plan.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While it can spur action people calling for it for political advantage are about as ghoulish as anything I can think of in the political arena.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

There was talk amongst the victims’ families for a while about having open casket funerals for the same shock reasons.

17. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Emit Till's mother opted for an open casket to show what had happened to her son and the photos of him did drive awareness and demand for change. On the other hand, did photos of Alan Kurdi, the Syrian toddler refugee found on the Turkish beach in 2015 change minds towards Syrian refugees?

Look, I say this as someone who's dealt with the death of small children after an IED went off...its not something that might get an immediate effect. It's also not a bell you un-ring. At the time I thought it was horrible, but did my job and moved on without really thinking more about it. I moved on to the next post blast analysis and continued my deployment. To this day, I honestly couldn't tell you what day it was and I only have a vague recollection of when it happened. However, this year when reports of kids killed & injured in Ukraine started hitting the news, it all came back. Hard.

As far as I can tell, the Ukraine war reports and the fact that I now have a toddler is what brought the memory back. Ever since my son was born, I have found any movie or show that as part of the plot includes the death or injury of a small child, I turn it off or get up and leave.

Publication of any media of those kids needs to be at the discretion of the families.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got no problem if the parents wanting to do it if it’s their choice. I think it’s ghoulish and repugnant for politicians and talking heads to call for it because it could move the needle on an issue they could campaign on.

Could it cause an emit till situation? Possibly. I think we are too politically fractured to see a wholesale change on a contentious issue any time soon.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

obviously my experiences pale in comparison to yours, but my triggers are the same. I saw and heard some not great shit while I was in the hospital for my brain tumor, and after having children of my own, any tv shows or movies that revolve around children getting killed/kidnapped/raped or otherwise hurt, I gotta turn it off or just leave. My senses just go haywire.

Of course, the fact that my job is working with children around the same age, and you have a recipe for one very defensive and protective ROTN. It scares me how my reaction would be if something like Uvalde happened while I there. I have a feeling I wouldn’t be coming home.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I saw the headline "State of Emergency: Entire City of Odessa without water" and silly me, I thought it was an international news story about how the Russians had cut off the water supply to Odesa, Ukraine. Nope, just regular old Texan incompetence in Odessa, Texas.