Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

To your point, perjury is just the part that the unwashed masses will understand and become enraged about.

I doubt the average Joe properly understands the sanctity of discovery.

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Britney Griner has been sentenced to nine years in Russian prison.

Is she a biological female, or is she trans?

3. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly, what is your point in asking that question, other than to clearly be an asshole?

Maybe you can write to her and give her some tips on how to handle prison life since you're as much of a pro at that as she is in basketball.

4. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm asking because she looks and sounds like a man, and with all the stories/ controversy over trans athletes, I think it's a legitimate question.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You think she's just been secretly trans this entire time? Despite being nationally-known since high school, the family somehow found an opportunity to make a swap that literally no one else knows about, despite being nationally (and now internationally) scrutinized? And that part of this secretly-on-the-vanguard-of-trans-rights family's story is that the father was aggressively homophobic and had trouble dealing with her being a lesbian?

None of that makes sense.

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel for her and obviously Russia is being extra dickish because she's American, gay and black. But, trading her for a Russian arms dealer seems like a bad move.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Is it wrong of me to think that she was stupid to have anything to do with drugs in the first place, and so should suffer the consequences of her actions? Am I missing something here? I admit I haven't been following it... so not sure if she's claiming she got set up or if it was all bogus... my take was she forgot she had them and went to Russia. Yeah, that's on her I'm thinking.

I mean, sure, Russia is in a position to be extra-dickish right now... but imagine if it was Turkey, or some other place where it was a death sentence?

It reminds me of that asshat American kid who was caught defacing a car or something stupid, and was up for a caning... the US stepped in and got it dropped down to 5 from 50 or something... Sorry, you play stupid games in another country, you win stupid prizes.

8. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As long as you think everyone in prison for a drug crime is justly imprisoned then you aren’t missing anything.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the main issue is that Russia's legal system is a complete joke and they are in no way above manufacturing charges in order to get what they want. It'd be one thing if she got caught up in the normal course of another country's legal system, like cane-boy. It's something different getting caught up in Russia's "let's snatch an American because we're pissed about sanctions" system.

10. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

By Russia's own legal system, her crime merited no more than a fine. What's happening now is not a prosecution but a persecution; she's an American unlucky enough to have done a stupid thing at a very stupid time to do it, and Russia is intent on making an example of her.

11. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I took his point as "doing something stupid or careless while traveling to Russia." It has nothing to do with penalties for drug crimes in the U.S. Other countries have harsh penalties for things that are perfectly legal here and when you travel there you need to be aware of that. This is absolutely a case of punishing an American for retribution, but she was also very familiar with Russia and should have known better.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

this is exactly what happened, and this is my take as well. I’m probably aware of this case a bit more than most, because she’s from a local college — Baylor — and I’m really into the nba so everyone I know is talking about this. Essentially, she’s one of the best wnba players ever. It would be akin to if magic Johnson or Lebron went to prison in another country. That’s why everyone cares. But they shouldn’t, because she was being a dumbass.

She plays overseas in Russia every offseason (wnba doesn’t pay enough so every player who can plays overseas to supplement their contracts). She knew the rules. First she said it was planted on her, then she changed her story and said yeah maybe she had a bit on her “by accident.”

Now she wants the US to bail her out because she knew the rules, took a risk, and got caught. If she wasn’t famous this wouldn’t be news and the US wouldn’t give a shit at all. As it is, I don’t give a shit. She needs to deal with the consequences. Imo, as an openly gay woman, she was taking a risk playing there anyway. I don’t agree with it, but thems their rules!

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's not my point at all... my point is, you visit another country, you play by their rules. And you take your chances with their political bullshit. Your own personal beliefs mean fuck all in the real world of another country.

I get it, but is that not part of the risk of doing something "stupid" in a foreign country like Russia? I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that she did something stupid that allowed her to be used as a pawn, and she has to kind of own that to some degree.

Agreed... and I appreciate the fact that the US Government is trying to do something about it... I guess I'm just frustrated over the complete lack of responsibility for ones own actions.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean she did plead guilty. Trying to guilt the US into help springing her is kind of fucked. It’s fucked Russia is trumping up the punishment to gain leverage over the US and the President might cave to save face with his base.

We’ve become a nation of perpetual victimhood and she falls into a cross section of the most aggrieved minorities. She’s been public outspoken about this as well on a few topics. I would be more surprised if a polyminority US ATHLETE didn’t blame old heteronormative white men for everything ( who she’s now pawns of Doh!).

#14774 Kubla Kahn, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Someone in Russian custody pled guilty. Shocking.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

B4EA6FB1-D1B7-4E87-BEF0-2F4A81F57DE2.jpeg

17. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're trying to get sentenced to death by snu snu aren't you?

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

attorney breaks down how badly alex jones and his attorney fucked up. Worth a watch. This is hilarious:

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I really hate how Alex Jones is even a thing.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

won't be for much longer