Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

…..No.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Word is that Musk wants to fire 75% of Twitter after the acquisition. He's trying to run it like SpaceX, but doesn't seem to realize that, unlike SpaceX, no one is willing to be treated for shit for three years just to have Twitter on their resume.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

He should fire 100%, delete the code base, all backups and post the root credentials for cloud account(s) on the Twitter.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

So Twitter might implode?

[​IMG]

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nuke it from orbit. At least he has the spacecraft part of the equation.

Even with the fallout, I think it's a net win for humanity.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd imagine most of them are going to be hostages.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Musk losing a shitload of money and Twitter being destroyed is pretty much an ideal outcome.

8. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I remember hearing that 40% of Twitter employees said they'd leave if Musk bought it.

Either way, fuck Twitter and fuck Musk.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Meh... I still have a lot of respect for Musk and what he's accomplished.

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't agree with you, but even if I did, him going broke is still the best case scenario. Give him the hunger back. Make him get scrappy to build something worthwhile again and earn back his riches, instead of just shitposting on Twitter like a wikipedia general.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

He has to remove his hair plus first. I’m also a Musk fan. He might be a weird guy, but I think he’s a net positive.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Between spacex, tesla, and his gigabattery stuff, he's doing a ton of good for humanity.

He's also an autist, and people who focus only on the stupid shit that he says and not the work that he gets done are being a bit myopic.

90% of my world-class devs that do solid work would be just as socially awkward and stupid if they had the kind of success/cash he has.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think Bezos is even weirder, but in an off-putting/creepy way. He just gets better press because he owns the press.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's more just exposure. The more exposure billionaires have, the less popular they are, because people realize they mostly suck as people. For a long time Bezos' only exposure was being known as the guy who delivered anything you ever wanted directly to your door. Once he started trying to become a space cowboy he was immediately the subject of endless rocket-dick jokes.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

my issue with him is when he makes shit become political/international issues. Like the Russia/Ukraine crap. Or trump whatever. If you wanna shitpost, by all means go ahead. But make sure it doesn’t impact real people in real ways.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This is literally my only opinion for it. The only way to improve Twitter is by making it vapourize entirely.

It is THE worst thing about the internet.

17. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most of Musk's wealth is Tesla. Tesla is WILDLY overvalued compared to the rest of the car manufacturers...Tesla's market cap is higher than like 5 other manufacturers combined, IIRC. Tesla does no mainstream marketing. Musk's "persona" is as close as they get to marketing. This is how he keeps Tesla valuable, which allows him to do shit like buy Twitter. Some of the acquisition of Twitter has to be a ploy to diversify his holdings, and he can use the platform the way Amazon uses WaPo, but slightly better.

He has to stay trending, and it's best to stay trending on things completely irrelevant to the core business. Thus, the controversial remarks on things that have fuck-all to do with him.

Also, I think he understands that there's an inherent amount of notoriety being the world's richest man, and he can't avoid it. He might as well lean into it. Jeff Bezos as a person is somewhat opaque to me, and I don't get why he's so reviled...I dunno much about him other than a weird 90's Taco Bell commercial, and the world's most expensive divorce. Ditto the boys at Google. Gates leaned into the notoriety and magically made everyone forget about his brutal business tactics by being such a swell, generous nerd. I think Musk is trying to do something similar, but in his own autist shit-lord kind of a way.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

One of Musk’s main issues is he has of cult of personality built around him, and that level of his fans are annoying. They think he’s funny and he’s not, he’s just weird from being socially autistic. Tesla may be an overvalued car but they’re also good ones, and their popularity finally set the trend for other companies to go electric, which is a great thing for our kids and grandkids. SpaceX decimated launch budgets and satellite programs that were in the billions per launch back in the 80’s. They guy has definitely had his share of positive impacts.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I disagree. The people are the worst part about it. And they're going to be out there, whether Twitter goes away or not. I have a Twitter account, but I never post anything. I follow the Braves and Blooper and Rush and a couple things like that that interest me. I rarely read the comments, and I just scroll to see various news updates. I don't have notifications on or anything, so usually when I sit down on the couch at night, I open it and scroll through a few things. I would miss being able to do that.

20. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’d say one of its primary uses these days is for journalists to grab three or four tweets and then say “Twitter blows up” over whatever subject it is.