Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do like the goofiness of everyone on Twitter starting to change their display name to Elon Musk, and using the same picture.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Feel like the tech people at twitter were not on the Elon train for a while. Not sure about the rest of the tech world. I had a feeling advertisers would flee. Im sure some will do so out of pure virtue signaling but a wild west Twitter is not a good place for most major brands. It did not take him long to turn a 180 on moderation. It is perfect timing with the storm clouds of a deep recession ahead for them to also just claim marketing cuts for recessions.

Maybe he can cobble together a dozen or so monetization schemes to make it work but it looks like a bad whiff at the moment and the whole of the left's grip on culture will be working against him.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve also heard that. It’s essentially taking your best, most efficient people who need to do the least amount of work because of their skill and trashing them for not doing enough. It’s glorious.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This strikes me as too dumb even for Musk.

5. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Saw this on Twitter and even though the original XKCD comic was about a reel to reel hardrive somewhere keeping things running it applies here too.

Spoilered for size
    [​IMG]

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The number of tech companies this is true of is pretty wild. I worked at a company where a small but critical service was literally running on an engineer's old laptop he had set up as a server in his closet. If they fired that guy the service would vanish with not even a record of what it was or what it did.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, of course it's almost certainly untrue. But I still find it funny, and the fact that it's even remotely plausible makes it even funnier.

The original XKCD was about little coding libraries that are included as dependencies in projects, which are then included as dependencies in bigger projects, until large swaths of the internet break because of things like the NPM "left pad" incident, or OpenSSL becoming the cornerstone of the majority of secure communications online despite being essentially a volunteer project.

https://xkcd.com/2347/

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

And to think, Dependabot is free.

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's not really the problem, though. Much of the time people know they're using tons of package dependencies, it's just that most companies are not going to re-write these functions from scratch when something exists.

It's not like anyone was surprised that OpenSSL handled all of their secure connections and suddenly were all vulnerable. But unless you're actually going to fork or re-write your encryption handling (which, unless you're Google, is probably not the best idea anyway), you're at the mercy of these dependencies.

I mean, I work in software development, and we write a ton of code; there are lots of companies out there who just package things up in interesting configurations and write the integrations, but that's not us. Yet our software bills of materials for some products are still hundreds of lines long with all of our dependent packages, because it's not possible to build everything from scratch and still get a product out the door. While it'd be great to make sure every bit of source you include has some kind of commercial support, sometimes it's just not realistic - so you do a risk assessment, decide you could fork it and maintain it yourself if the shit really hit the fan, and cross your fingers.

Back when you could write a bit of code for a single OS, a narrow range of resolutions, a single language and a predictable deployment model, it was possible to in-source everything and not be the size of Microsoft. International businesses, round-the-clock commerce, heterogeneous devices/operating systems and increasingly complex security needs has basically torpedoed in-house development for everything. Even if you had the expertise, it would take too long.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I get it. We monitor outdated or vulnerable libraries and dependencies, many of which I don’t even ask our developers to bother dealing with. The scarier part are the vulnerable ones with no known fix, so it’s either unwind an entire EHR or just write it off and hope shit doesn’t go sideways. My predecessor is my predecessor because he couldn’t see the first through the trees in that regard.

Our off-shore devs already creat enough tech debt to go around.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reminds me of the time an offshore dev manually implemented their own animation framework and hardcoded it to 4 fps.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

That’s fun, we have devs putting auth credentials in their code.

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A few stories going around today about Twitter asking for recently paid off people to come back because they were a tad aggressive in their cuts. If it were me, I would demand no less than double my previous salary.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Weak. I wouldn't come back for less than 4x, paid 6 months in advance, and not subject to recouperation. If you get what you need and toss me again in a week, I'm still walking out with two years of my old salary.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So it became a trend for blue checks to change their name to Elon Musk and adopt his avatar, and then start tweeting about how voters should vote for Democrats. Elon quickly started banning them and instituted a new policy that impersonation accounts would be banned without warning. Not gonna lie, it's pretty entertaining watching him learn the absolute basics of the social dynamics of the internet in real time with $44 billion on the line. He is stepping on every rake despite the whole world being like "here's where all the rakes are."

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He also just said that if you change your name after you get your check mark, you lose it.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Musk declared that "comedy is now legal" on Twitter, and then promptly banned Kathy Griffin for the first funny thing she's ever done.

18. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Elon’s greatest contribution to society.

20. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded