Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A breach of trust in a trustless system, who could have guessed.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Meh, the exchange is not part of that trustless system, and ironically, you got it backwards.

It was only by trusting the exchange that this happened.

If people had followed "not your keys, not your crypto", they'd be fine.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But isn't that the point? These exchanges keep popping up because financial systems are complex and the actual currency is only a small part of the whole. The utility of a naked cryptocurrency, as has been shown by its adoption in its pure "not your keys, not your crypto" form, is weak, and traditional financial structures keep getting recreated around them, just without all the hard lessons learned about how such structures need to be regulated.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I won't argue that. The problem is the same as it's always been... lack of transparency, lack of oversight, too much money and naked greed. Combine that with little to no regulation, and technology that hardly anyone really understands, and it's the wild west selling snake oil with promises of getting rich quick.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

To be clear, I'm not one of these defi zealots who think crypto is god's gift to finance and will save us from the man.

I do believe it has some real, actual uses that make some things better.

For instance, some associates of mine just did an international clearing system, based on public blockchain, approved by and regulated by the OCC. This is an instantaneous competitor to SWIFT banking protocols, that require no counterparties or collateral, due to the fractional deposit nature of their settlement tokens. They just did their first public transaction a couple weeks ago. It's a huge improvement over the current Basel certified processes in place for international central bank clearing.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Maybe my aunt’s dream will come true and we’ll see a comeback of wild Beanie Baby speculation.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Blockchain has an amazing amount of potential applications, cryptocurrency is just one of the shittiest ones. Obviously none of that is news to you, but I hope this doesn’t put a damper on the whole concept in general because like you said, it’s beyond the general public’s comprehension at this point.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Related to this, one of the engineers from the prior post got fired, and shut down her Twitter (despite being a super senior engineer at twitter) her Medium (despite being a former lead at Medium), and her LinkedIn. Definitely received a shitload of inbound harassment after Elon tweeted about her firing.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He's being a real cunt these days.

And every lawyer around is lining up to represent her and she will make bank from the pending lawsuits against him.

Doesn't mean I don't feel badly for her, or that it excuses his shit behaviour in any way, but at least there's going to be a silver lining for her, I'm sure.

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Based on her bio she's not just employable in the way that most competent engineers in the valley are employable, but is employable in the "can name the company and they'll create a role for her" way, even before this mess. She's on the governing board and the technical steering committee of GraphQL.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So basically, him shitting on her has set her up for immediate retirement.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's an interesting coincidence. If you were, for the sake of argument, a vodka-soaked member of the Russian military, with orders to attack Kyiv and Lviv with missile strikes. And you, being vodka-soaked as you are, mixed up the targeting coordinates, inputting the latitude of the Kyiv target, but the longitude of the Lviv target... you would end up blowing up a small farm just over the Polish border. If shit pops off over a mistake that stupid, God is truly fucking with us for the lols.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean....I fail to see how "accident" is any better? I'm curious what the response will be, as was mentioned....Poland is a member of NATO.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Probably nothing. I doubt NATO activates Article 5 over a shitty missile. If Poland wants to step into the war, they’ll do it on their own.

18. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The head of NATO did follow up that Russia still bears the ultimate responsibility. That said, other than some rhetoric statements any further response is doubtful.

The surface to air (SAMs) Ukraine likely used are also Russian and travel at multiple Mach. The missiles Russia launched also likely travel at similar speeds. At those speeds, 15 miles is nothing. Depending on the altitude of the intercept, debris could easily travel that distance before hitting the ground.

19. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Poland might not want to, but Zelensky really wants Poland to want to.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded