Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Wow he really does look like Josh Brolin if he went into Oxy instead of acting. But hey, at least his son’s not gay so no biggie.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dick Delaware is lookin rough these days.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well he is a multi spirit trans according to his lawyers. The yahoo article I was reading then went to lengths to mention his father and mother call him “he” as to not connect him to that disaffected community. An odd roll reversal given they use all the “they theys themskin” pronouns the moment anyone claims a different gender identity.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's like we're watching an episode of Peacemaker or something, sheesh. Also, those mugshots? The patrons that subdued him beat the shit out of him.

[​IMG]

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you see the interview with the guy who tackled him? He basically described grabbing the shooter's own handgun, finding a gap between the helmet(?) and the body armor and just pistol whipping the shit out of him. Probably what that giant bruise on the left side of the shooter's neck is.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That fuckhead, at one point, was fighting Allistair Overeem and Rich Franklin.

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not nearly enough.

8. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My favorite part of the Interview with the guy who tackled him:

"As Fierro and the shooter struggled on the ground, Fierro punched him repeatedly in the back of the head, and other patrons — including a drag performer in high heels — stepped in to help, punching and kicking Aldrich."

Coincidentally, Fierro's an army vet and owns Atrevida Beer brewery I hope his business sees a significant bump in sales.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

At least for once the fucker didn’t emerge unscathed. No mercy bullet, no casually walking away, no gentle arrest. Multiple people stomping and jumping up and down on his face and balls, WHILE preventing him from taking the coward’s way out is as happy of a turnout as you can get in a situation like this.

Hell does not exist, but he doesn’t get to skip on being sent to the closest thing to it.

10. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, the headlines are being blown way out of proportion... it's 100% remote controlled... as in, have a rifle on a moving platform that they can move into position to take out the bad guy via remote control.

It's not full on AI that gets to choose what it does... it's a human doing the controlling.

No different than having a drone blow the fuck up out of some foreigners, except with more precision.

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree that this is a far cry from AI murderbots, but given that we already have a really significant problem with human cops shooting people who don't deserve it, don't you think there's something inherently problematic about abstracting that another layer away?

In theory this is fine, but in practice I can definitely see some concerns about taking guys who are already callously shooting other people and making it just a button push from behind a screen somewhere.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Having read more about it, the application seems to be to attach explosives (flash bangs or more) to a robot and walk it into a situation with a bad guy.

And apparently, it's nothing new... they've been able to do this up until now, they just have to declare it explicitly now with some new legislation that came out. They've always been able to and allowed to attach explosives to the bomb-sniffing robots they have and do bad shit with them, they just don't all that often. I don't see this being any different, at all.

Personally, I don't see it as being a big deal or some major line that is being crossed.

I tend to think that any scenario that is involving a robot like this will be major enough that it will be heavily scrutinized anyway.

I'd rather see a police force have something like this than a tank or some of the other military gear they have.

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Isn't the biggest factor to the outrage the fact that this thing is in San Francisco?

FFS, there are hundreds if not thousands of cops who HAVE killed folks and got away with it scot-free, this robot ain't even smashed a table in front of Will Smith yet.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I like how we’re thinking up any solution except training cops better.

My favorite part of that article is where they try to reassure the public by the fact that they aren’t arming the robots with guns, just explosives.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I bet the explosive robot operators get a shit ton of training.

And I'm not sure I agree with the either/or thinking... why not both? Better trained cops, and exploding robots?

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope nobody would ever think that I am against exploding robots.

I just want to be the one holding the controller.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It being SF, I just with they could have worked some sort of radioactivity into the mix.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I agree, why not both? As far as I can tell, the additional funding for the SF PD is largely going to paying overtime because they can’t meet planned staffing levels. The money would have been better spent paying the USAF to carpet-bomb SoMa and Tenderloin.