Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As long as you have the right last name they are great.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Well, Reagan did exactly that with the Air Traffic Controllers back in the day... gotta think that was just a wee bit more specialized of a gig.

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reagan replaced them with USAF/USN and other DoD controllers. He had a sizable pool of manpower that couldn't say "no, we're not crossing the picket line"

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Are you saying there isn't a similar type of solution to this scenario?

5. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Additionally, federal workers are prohibited by law from striking.

6. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have no idea what it takes to run a railroad, but the Army does have a rail engineer MoS. Additionally, as far as running a logistical operation, the US military is pretty fucking good at it.

The US government has a history of seizing key industries during a strike, though usually during a war. For example: WW2 coal mine strike, & Korean War era steel mill strike. What's interesting is these two examples, are seen as a victory for the workers and defeat for the mine/mill owners.

7. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also interestingly, Reagan was considered a friend to the ATC union during his campaign. The FAA offered a rather generous contract that while not completely meeting the union's demands would've put them as some of the highest paid federal employees. However it didn't include the reduction in required work hours the union wanted and decided to strike.

#15487 AFHokie, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  8. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, one of my really good friends' husband just left the railroad industry due to a lot of the bullshit the workers are complaining about. I've asked her some about what's going on and she said it's basically a compounding issue where more and more workers are getting burnt out or straight up dying due to the abysmal working conditions that there's now such a shortage of workers that most companies can't staff adequately, so they're just straight up denying people their already allotted time off, regardless of whether or not it's PTO or sick time. Her husband had one crew that all came down with Covid together and management basically told them "well, you all already have it, so you can just keep working together since there's nobody else to spread it to."

And it just keeps turning into this viscous whirlpool of people getting burnt out and leaving the industry, so the people that do stay get worked harder and harder until THEY get burnt out, and repeat. She wasn't able to give me too much detail on the whole union aspect because her husband was in a non-union role, but from what she knows of it, it's not so much that the heads of the union aren't negotiating on behalf of the workers, but more that they know they have little to no leverage because the government won't let them actually strike.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Management. Management never changes...

10. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh for sure. She also said that their managers were crazy. His direct manager threatened to have all of the wives sit in on one of their video calls so "they could see how inept you all are".

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

They deserved it.

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Anyone keeping up with the news in North Carolina?

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The seemingly criminal power outages?

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sometimes it's fun to play the "if we reported on the United States the way we report on the third world" game:

"Local militants aligned with the recently ousted strongman leader of the United States claim credit for a terrorist attack on critical infrastructure. Human rights NGOs have identified the target as a persecuted minority within the country. Security services, which observers have remarked have been infiltrated by sympathetic partisans, have yet to make an arrest."

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

How small does your dick have to be to show up with a semi-auto rifle to hide behind because a drag show is occurring that has nothing to do you with you or your own children?

It’s hilarious how people like Matt Walsh call drag Queen perverted rapists. Dude… you are a CATHOLIC. Your cult writes the world a clinic on violence and perversions.

16. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is the fact you routinely make Trumpesque statements lost on you or does your cognitive dissonance run that deep?

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Just what the fuck are you talking about?

18. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See your "all catholics are rapists and child molesters" comment above

19. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, he didn't have to attack Walsh's Catholicism when he's already on video declaring 16yr olds should be pregnant because that's their best time physiologically.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

No, just over seven thousand in the United States. Over seven thousand reported cases of children being raped by the Catholic church. That’s enough to pack a concert. Now, let’s go to the thousands of native kids killed in my country that they are specifically responsible for.

Pretty much nobody has accounted for, or even been remotely punished for that. Catholics know this, it’s not like this shit happening is open for debate; and they could not give less of a fuck— keep filling that shiny, tax-free collection plate. Just keep saying that gay is a sinwhile you shuffle your boy-raping priests around to avoid jail and keep their sexual appetites well-fed.

Instead of throwing insults at me, why don’t you try countering my point? Tell me about how great the Catholic Church is. Tell me about a single century in its existence where it didn’t inflict absolute terror over anyone who opposed it. Tell me how it’s ok to be a member of a group that has raped thousands upon thousands of children. It’s as easy as defending Epstein’s actions.