Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can somebody explain like I'm five what the deal is with all of these drag shows for kids?

This is a new thing, right? Or were news agencies just not reporting on it until a few months ago?

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After the loss in 2020, Republicans realized that "her emails" weren't cutting it anymore. They went looking for a new issue to elevate in order to preclude their voters actually considering policy, and in early 2021 you could see them focus testing some ideas. There were brief periods where conservative media were blanketed with stories about Dr Seuss being canceled, and then Mr Potato Head being castrated, but those didn't really catch on because they're lame even by the standards of conservative panics. Then they hit on "trans people are gross, right?" and it's been off to the races ever since.

#15502 Aetius, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So are you saying that the Republicans are secretly behind all of these drag shows?

Because I never heard about them until recently.

4. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You haven't heard about them because until recently the Republicans hadn't villainized them and specifically sought them out as a target for their ire. These types of events have been going on for quite a while (at least here in Columbus) but unless you were in that scene or knew people who were, you just didn't hear about it, or if you did you ignored it because it just wasn't "your thing" instead of it being falsely claimed as some sort of grooming event, or a gathering of pedophiles, or *insert Fox News talking point of the week*.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

drag shows in general or kids going to them?

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ru Paul's Drag Race has been on the air since 2009. Hamburger Mary's was founded in 1972. It's been a thing.

7. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

THIS is what I'm talking about.

I KNOW that drag shows have existed for decades, but this is the first time I'd heard about them being for kids..

8. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just to clarify. These aren't drag shows. They are drag queens reading stories to kids at libraries in full drag. Not sure when exactly it started.

9. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah.... but why?

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here in DC, they are a staple of Pride, and as far as I know, are at worst PG-13. Burlesque shows are similar in that they don't feature "adult" content as far as I know.

I get there's a lot of difficult misconceptions between the "sex" elements of the LGBTQ crowd and some of the elements that have little to do with sex and more to do with how they approach family, relationships, rights, etc. It's a really difficult line to tread, because queer kids need to be exposed to the larger community for support, and help figuring stuff out, but going to events that exhibit sexual behavior explicitly simply isn't acceptable, nor would kids be welcome.

Too many folks hear LGBTQ and equate that to mean nothing more than sexual behavior, not a distinct culture or subculture all it's own. So, exposing kids to LGBTQ stuff to those folks means "they trying to fuck our kids!", when the reality is more around "these kids need to understand the LGBT folks are people too, and how to de-stigmatize this when they have classmates with two moms/dads" kind of thing.

There's a bunch of issues that the LGBT crowd faces that the breeders/normies don't face, and it impacts kids with LGBT family members. So, it makes sense to do outreach beyond the Pride events.

Idiots think kids will see a drag queen and want to become one, or that you can somehow be convinced to be gay, as if millions of kids weren't exposed to straight media and didn't wind up that way.

That said, I understand how for some parents, it's a lot to explain and it may be things they don't fully understand themselves.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I support LGBT rights and I don't want drag queens anywhere near my kids. Santa Claus scares them enough already.

12. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Per Wikipedia it started back in 2015 in San Francisco.

Like @downndirty stated, it's about helping kids get a better understanding of the LGBTQ community as a whole outside of just "my friend Timmy has two moms/dads".

13. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They have been coming for your children for years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How you gonna leave out this masterpiece?
    MV5BNDI3MjI0NTUxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTc2NjM3._V1_.jpg

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

No love for Tootsie?

[​IMG]

16. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My point: try making a non fallacious point. By your logic in your example above, ALL Canadians are directly responsible simply by virtue of being Canadian.

I'm not insulting you. I'm calling out your standard routine of posting hyperbolic outrage statements lacking any understanding, context, or nuance of complex history, events, and situations. You cherry pick and over simplify everything into a hasty generalization. A standard tactic from Trump and his ilk's playbook to lump together and marginalize a group for his benefit.

For additional examples, go back and review many of your comments related to any religion, governing body, police organization, etc., that became a discussion topic due to associated segments behaving poorly/badly.

Got it. Over the years you've made it abundantly clear don't like the Catholic church as an institution. Yea, as an organization it has a lot to atone for over the millenia it's existed.

Few if any groups of people or organizations are without sin, but don't expect to make blanket statements condemning everyone associated with a group or organization simply because you don't like it and not get called out.

If you cannot understand the difference between the world's second largest organized religious group and a criminal enterprise run by Epstein and his co-conspirators, you will never understand why that's a fallacious analogy.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So you’re pointing out the dreaded “hyperbole” that offends you so much, but you WILL NOT tell me that I’m wrong, or how I’m wrong. Because I’m not wrong. You are not making a single point that tells me I sm, but you ARE whining about the structure of my posts.

And “fallacious analogy”, what are on even going on about here? Why don’t you focus on what the Catholic Church and Epstein have in common instead, or is that not good enough for you? Am I hitting too close to home when I say Catholicism is an oppressive rape-cult? It is. Objectively.

You’ve spent enough time complaining about how I post, but you have made no point. Tell me how I’m wrong about the Catholic Church. Tell me I’m wrong about the thousands of kids they raped. It’s fucking “hyperbole”, right?

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can we stop talking about grown men wearing gowns reading fantastical stories to children, and get back to discussing grown men wearing gowns reading fantastical stories to children?

19. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You claim every Catholic on the ENTIRE FUCKING GLOBE is a rapist pedophile.

That is on YOU to prove, not for me or anyone else to disprove.

But you can't comprehend why that's a fallacious statement...that's your problem.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Take it easy, fellas, it’s a fuckin’ Monday.