Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Iron Dome operator knows this is the moment he's been training for:

[​IMG]

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Depending on the missiles, Iron Dome might not be that effective. It's main function is to stop short-range missiles and mortars. ballistic missiles might be moving too fast for them to be intercepted. But again, I don't know much about what Iran has in terms of capability. Iron Dome could not stop an ICBM for example (but Iran definitely doesn't have any).

3. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Iran's made it clear that they don't want to get their shit pushed in by Israel. I'm not too worried about it.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

can they both lose?

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My daughters college released a statement that they’ve received “unprecedented communication of a concerning and threatening nature “. They tried to cancel some planned protests but the courts said they couldn’t. The courts, in their ruling, acknowledged the likelihood of violence so - they’ve required a $2,500 bond from the organizers.

$2,500 and you can go nuts. What the fuck? Where does the safety of the other 45,000 students come into play?

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just to clarify- these protests and the threats are tied directly to Oct 7

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really don’t know what Iran is expecting will happen? Israel doesn’t have to invade to trigger their Mullah turban booby trap bombs.

8. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure, but the world is better off if they don't actually fight.

9. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They're trying to "save face" by doing something without getting into a full scale war.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Iran could unite every other county in the Middle East with them, they’ll still be no match for Israel. This is poking the bear is the worst possible way, this isn’t a superpower that fucks around with silly little speed bumps like the Geneva convention or peace agreements. They’ll burn half the the fucking world to say “I win”.

11. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For clarification, the term ICBM refers to the range of the missile, not it's reentry vehicle performance.

Ballistic missiles are divided into classes based on range:
    (CRBM) close-range (less than 300 km),
    (SRBM) short-range (300 to 1,000 km),
    (MRBM) medium-range (1,000 to 3,000 km),
    (IRBM) intermediate-range (3,000 to 5,500 km),
    (ICBM) intercontinental (more than 5,500 km).

Iran has short-range ballistic missiles SRBMs and medium-range ballistic missiles MRBMs.

Now with all that said, the farther the range, the higher it's parabolic trajectory and the higher the reentry speed. MRBMs are capable of Reentry Vehicle (RVs) speeds approximately 5369mph or Mach 7.

Iron Dome is the media 'catch all' for Israeli air defense, but Israel's ballistic missile defense includes:
    Patriot
    Arrow
    David's Sling

The US has also deployed Arleigh Burke class destroyers in the Eastern Med & Red Sea. These ships have extremely capable antiballistic missile systems.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Sure - i was just using ICBM as an example since they have extremely fast reentry speeds, I think they can clock some of the newest tech around them with a reentry close to 28,000 MPH. Arrow 3 is probably what they would want for that, but not even the US has enough to thwart a full missile attack.

14. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole thing about Israel that's been super quiet are the words: "the region's only nuclear power". In part, because we didn't want US media to goad Iran into showing up with some weapons they aren't supposed to have...that we were supposed to track, prevent and keep them away from.

Since 9/11, Israel has been a key part of the US strategy in the region, which as far as I can tell is "keep everyone mad at Israel, and we'll arm the shit out of them, so we don't have anymore 9/11 shit anywhere else", and it's somewhat worked. Until now, when there's some legitimate and mounting questions on how far US support can go to this regime.

Bibi is settling all scores he can with the new toys he's gotten, before this entire spree is pinned on him and he's retired. I said it'd get worse before it gets better, and this is what "worse" gets you. Bibi's retirement might come as a catalyst for WW3. It's rapidly exceeding the kind of blame Netanyahu can take on. Israel losing the PR battle in the US is one thing, but he seems incapable of de-escalating any sort of conflict right now. Hell, the pager thing is enough to warrant a pretty big set of questions for things like air travel, but they didn't even bother. It looks like Israel wants open war, and they have just the right window to pursue it.

Iran, Gaza, and Lebanon all in active conflict with Israel at once has me nervous as fuck, because the rest of the region isn't exactly predictable. The 5 weeks til the election will definitely color what kind of response the US can mount, and that will color what our allies do. The US is telegraphing "we have intelligence assets inside the Iranian government. Israel knows what we know." and they still fired missiles.

This coming after the Iranian helicopter crash may signal the new regime simply can't keep the agitators at bay, and must be seen doing something. Iran acting through Hezbollah is no longer palatable, which....yeah, that's not good. Everyone has heavily invested in groups like Hamas and Hezbollah to avoid things like uh...open warfare and nation-to-nation sanctions. If Iran abandons that weird decoupage of terrorist insulators, then it means this regime does not fear being a sequel to Saddam Hussein's Iraqi "liberation". There's really only one thing that would make them so bold, and that is a functioning nuclear weapon.

A nuke going off in that part of the world sets off a chain of some really uncomfortable events that humanity as a species doesn't really come back from. The peace we've enjoyed will not return easily or cheaply.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

so the solution is to vote for trump correct?

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Cleetus just posted a video about doing some helicopter disaster relief in NC.

It's pretty interesting... worth a watch.

17. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"If I'm elected, it will all be over the first day." - Trump, probably.

I know that this looks really bad, but isn't this just like the equivalent of Iran shaking their fist in the air and saying that Israel's mama sucks eggs?

Didn't they do a rocket attack on Israel a couple of years ago (which was taken care of by the Iron Dome)?*

And this time, didn't they warn Israel in advance?

*There has been so much shit going on in the Middle East I've lost track.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

this is exactly my take on it. I'm much more concerned with trump being elected than who is bombing whom over there. They've been fighting since before the US was a country, they'll be fighting well after we vote ourselves into a dictatorship. I can only muster up the courage to give so many fucks.

19. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The last was maybe a couple months ago.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded