Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Eat your...grains? OR ELSE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angel_1756, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because you don't know what I'm advocating or what I stand for? While I can't say I'd be equally outraged if they started cramming paleo down everyone's throat due to my bias, I would still be horribly offended if they started using forceful measures to regulate how people eat, even if I agree with it.

2. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

I agree, the non-paleo heathens must be brought to heel by the government! By force if necessary!*

*That's how I chose to read that statement.

3. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My daughter agrees. She won't even touch their cheeseburgers and she is more of a cheeseburger fan than I am. In 3rd grade she started the begging to let her bring in her lunch at least once a week. Then in 4th grade she negotiated lunches every day except the days where they had something she liked - such as spaghetti or pizza. This year has been the same set up except that there has yet to be a time this year that she has wanted to buy. Honestly I wish they had something she liked because it is a pain in the ass to be organized enough to have all the ingredients, containers, spend the time packing the stuff, etc. It is much more involved than my own lunch, which is a lean cuisine. But I want my kid to have a good meal so I suck it up.

4. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is exactly what we've experienced with my daughter. A few years ago she wanted to buy lunch everyday. Now, only when it's pizza, and even then, not so much. According to her, the food tastes horrible and they don't give you enough. She is 9. How bad does a cheeseburger have to get for a 9 year old to say "no thanks"?

5. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/prof-uses-1000-mice-to-expose-food-folly/story-fni0xqi3-1226764591760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/b ... 6764591760</a>

Amazing, study shows that balance is the trick rather than being a puritanical lunatic. Next they will be advocating sensible levels of exercise! For shame.

6. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

7. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This, this is why I get cranky with you fuckers. I propose a common sense approach, something along the lines of "eat a balanced Mediterranean diet, exercise", paleotard starts asking if 60 pounds of refined sugar should be considered moderate and using this as the basis for their reasoned argument.

It hits me where it hurts because of the smug sense of misplaced superiority people with their special diets seem to strut around with. Be it Paleo, Vegan, Fruitarian, Vegetarian, Bretharian etc, they are all the same: "We are right, there is no compromise, you are all wrong, lalalala not listening to your sciencey arguments"

And in answer to your burger comment, no I don't really eat junk food, and I try to avoid refined sugars. IMO the best diet is the Med diet because it's not really a diet more a lifestyle, simply eat fresh homemade food made with quality seasonal ingredients. But don't be a slave to it, life is for living, also wine & beer, these things make you happy, happy is good.

Vegans are never happy, especially fuck vegans.

8. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, why are you even bringing this up? Go back and re-read this thread, the only mention of paleo from a paleo person that wasn't in response to someone making fun of paleo was winterbike just saying how he ate, you've been at least ten times more smug and abrasive than all of us combined. You're acting shocked and appalled by a fit you picked.

9. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the reason people are so against "balanced diet" is that term doesn't really mean anything. Your idea of a balanced diet and 100 different people's idea of a balanced diet are so diverse, you can't really just lay out a blanket statement like that, just like other people shouldn't make blanket statements that their specific diet they follow is the only way to live.

Personally, I find a diet very low in carbs is the only thing that doesn't make me feel like a giant pile of shit. If I eat a "balanced meal" that includes grains and sugar, I feel gross afterward. I don't press my diet on other people, but if I were forced to eat something because someone else thought they knew what was good for me, I'd be super pissed. Even more so if it was my kid and I was levied a fine for it.
    The crux of the issue is that somewhere along the line, a government body with little scientific backing, made a statement that people should eat a certain way and if they didn't conform to that they were going to be fined. That should be what causes you to get cranky, not people who think a specific diet is the right way to eat.

10. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After practice in college, we used to all go for sushi. You could eat a couple pounds worth and still feel great afterwards as it's nothing but clean protein. But if I still ate it every day I'd get mercury poisoning.

Unless you're eating steamed, farm-raised, skinless chicken breasts with organic vegetables every meal, every day of your life, you're going to eat food that will compromise your health in the long-term. Some more than others.

Of course it all takes a backseat to genetics. Granny can smoke a pack of Reds with a bottle of bourbon every night for 80 years, but eating egg yolks will kill you at 40.

11. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

I'm sorry, were my half-assed jokes taken as abrasive snobbery? Because I clearly I was 110% serious about that whole paleo-by-governmental-force thing.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Halloween cracks me up. The parents throw the one healthy thing-- the apple-- in the garbage disposal and give the kids the ten-pound poison bag of corn syrup and vegetable oil.

13. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

The above two paragraphs made me angry, which is really hard to do. It's obvious you don't have kids. I've started typing several responses and I've had to do and re-do. All I'll say at this point is there is no way in hell my kids (I actually have them) would be able to sleep with all the parties and social activities you have them attending. So your kid is getting a Mr. Freeze after playing a hard-fought game or even just a fun one? Yeah, better slap it out of their hand. And I love cake. I MAKE awesome cakes. I'm KNOWN for making awesome cakes. And there is no way I could eat as much cake as you have listed up there. It's not nearly so bad as you are making it out to be.

And I've never known a daycare to give candy as a snack.

But don't let my real-life experiences get in the way of your imaginary ones.

I've got 3 kids. You know how many are fat? Zero. Because I let them eat things in moderation.

Also, if you are restricting sugar "a little" you don't take ALL of it out of the house.

See, I can't stop.

14. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

While I'm gluten-free, my daughter is not. I've never given it any serious thought, just because her mother isn't and we're not together, so she eats whatever her mother want her to when she's around her(which isn't bad, the mother eats relatively healthy, but definitely a lot of bread there). My hostility towards this is not so much what it was, but the fact that the daycare is telling you the parent what to feed your child.

And for the record my daycare doesn't hand out candy(except for Halloween) either, but my daycare's fucking awesome so it might not be like that everywhere.

15. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

All of you suck.

Drink chocolate milk, eat steak, get big as fuck.

I'm out bitches. *drops mic*

16. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You could also not allow your children to have these things. Or, say in the case of a week's worth of Halloween candy, let them have a few pieces and take the rest away. Same with Valentine's and Easter. Also you celebrate with cake a lot more than I think most people do.

You can't control everything that happens everywhere, but what you can do is be a parent and instill in your children the values you hold most dear and hope they stick.

17. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I know all of you are going to disagree, but I think that it's wrong to force a kid to drink a mixture of kale and bacon fat and processed white sugar until she dies.

I'm just saying that's fucked up, and I'm not sure how you guys support that

18. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I"m not sure what you mean? You think it's wrong to restrict or monitor what a kid eats or you think it's wrong to decide what a diet for an adult should look like and then force that upon a child?

19. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dont remember who above said its a matter of works best for your body, but that's what I agree with and subscribe to. I try to eat extremely clean and low carb during the week, and then basically let myself cheat on the weekends. Sure its a bit of an effort at times, but nothing extraordinary. I've gotten made fun of for getting a salad or something that wasn't wings/nachos/etc when we've went out for midday trivia, but they're not seeing me house Taco Bell on Sundays after a broomball win or eating whatever when I go to dinner on Saturday night. I dont think its all about moderation as figuring out a plan and sticking to it.

The biggest "feel better" change I've made, which I actually HATE, is cutting out milk. I was a gallon and a half a week drinker, crushed TONS of greek yogurt, it was the main sticking point whenever I thought about paleo. Then last summer, through a combination of no grocery shopping for a week plus, and then a vacation on which I just didn't drink milk, I noticed my stomach feeling alot calmer and, more importantly, my skin cleared up alot. Not that I've ever been acne ridden, but I would just get blotchy and uneven. So I decided to give it a try for a month. And the results continued. So since then, I've had very limited dairy. It was hard cause milk was my go-to beverage at home. I still put yogurt in shakes and smoothies, and the majority of my cheese intake is goat cheese anyways.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thats the biggest thing for a lot of people too. My best friend had constant stomach issues his whole life. But he loved the shit out of all things dairy, as do most people. I mean, who doesn't love ice cream? He cut out all dairy one day and kept with it. He said it was the best he felt in years. Absolutely no stomach issues. And its because most people are lactose intolerant to varying degrees. We just love cheese.