Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So what's the end game? He just won't get Colorado's electoral votes?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

People can still write him in if they want to I guess. I just don't see how this is anything but anti-democratic.

3. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since it's clear nobody has read anything past the headline of "Trump off the ballot in Colorado!!!!!!!!!11!!1"... Here's what's ACTUALLY happening.

This was a suit brought about by the a group of Colorado REPUBLICANS to keep Trump off of the Republican Primary ballot; NOT the general election ballot. So, based on the current ruling of the judge, he is now legally barred from being on the upcoming Republican Primary ballot; pending many many appeals. Because this was ONLY for the republican primary, only Republicans had legal standing to bring this suit.

That being said, now that the ruling HAS been made, anyone in the state now has a precedent to bring forward a new lawsuit seeking to have him removed from the general election ballot if/when he is named as the Republican nominee; again, all of that is predicated on the original ruling not being struck down somewhere along the line of appeal.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

lol, so you wrote all that and still don't see how that's different than age of 35? Or, are you thinking Colorado and SCOTUS might define age of 35 differently, too?

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My point is that it doesn't require a criminal prosecution and conviction, the courts are capable of deciding the issue without one. They have already done so in the past.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It would be awesome if Obama, being a constitutional law expert, voiced an opinion....

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kinda like impeachment? That used to carry such a heavy weight and now it's nothing.

I need a little more than, "We believe he did ______," to keep someone off of a ballot. I can't stand the fucker, but I also think this is starting us down a seriously slippery slope. I also look at some of his more rabid followers and wonder what something like this could motivate them to do in anger.

8. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sorry, but if someone actively tries to subvert the peaceful transfer of power via things like fake electors and encouraging your supporters to storm the capitol isn't insurrection then what do you call it?

Acting like Trump shouldn't be forbidden from ever holding power again is just insane to me.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Even Trump's legal team is not fighting the fact that he got on live TV, on a mic, and said "go down there and fight!".

According to your own Constitution, and the REPUBLICAN judge who ruled, that disqualifies him.

This is fucking hilarious.

This was 100% done by the GOP. Zero involvement by the Dems. And yet the kneejerk reaction is thinking that the Democrats did this and they must pay the price.

What a fucking gong show, being performed by a bunch of fucking retards.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The Twitter meltdown currently going on by Trumptards isn’t even funny. These are dangerously insane people.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Oh, it absolutely is fucking hilarious.

12. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The kicker is that if the gutless cowards that make up the Republican congress had done the right thing and indicted him for January 6 we wouldn't have this issue.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

A year from now, if we end up with President-elect Robert Kennedy, we can look back on this shit as the reason why.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The one thing that is funny is how the same pieces of shit who were championing state rights when they derailed Roe v. Wade are the EXACT same people bitching about it now like sissy little girls.

You don’t get to have it both ways, fucktards. Stick it up your ass.

15. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know when we'll get back to something reasonable in this country, but I hope it's soon. You got one party wanting to put a legit criminal up for top office in the country. The other wants to put up a man that, if he didn't live in the white house, would probably belong in an assisted living facility so he didn't burn the house down making a grilled cheese... who is also probably a legit criminal.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As crazy as it sounds, more and more I'm liking Fetterman's stance on all this shit... "GOP, stop being retarded, Dems, get your head out of your collective asses and address some of these problems".

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree. He's being lambasted by the far left as being another Sinema. But I don't see it like that. I just see him as having moral clarity on certain issues. He's not equivocating on the Israel/Hamas thing. And he's not ignoring a broken immigration system. He's still a reliable democrat for most other issues. I don't feel like he will give a cutesy thumbs down for the C-span cameras over an increased minimum wage. He's still a pro union guy. But the moment he supports Israel, they paint him as a genocide supporter. Absolutely clownshoes behavior.

I feel like groupthink is a serious issue on both sides. But for me right now, the far left is taking the cake with the stupidity. With the far right, I expect certain things because they have very little that is new to me. Continue the anti-choice crusade. Shitting all over the LGBT community. Hating education. Etc.

But the sudden shift(to me at least) from the left on the outright Jew hatred being painted as "antizionism" is somewhat new to me. I've seen people try to hide behind anti semitism by calling it antizionism before(usually from Arab and Muslim groups), but the fact that its become so widespread so quickly has been alarming to me. Makes me wonder if people are just attaching themselves to the cause du jour to be part of the in-group and not truly know what they are saying or they really do know. The absolute arrogance of the far left to think they can tell another country how to conduct a war and when is crazy. Protesting at colleges because #ceasefirenow is fucking laughable.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Amazing was slowly recovering from brain damage can do.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As evidenced by your reply.

20. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This seems to boil down to if you believe J6 and the surrounding fuckery were three things:
    1. An attempt to thwart a transition of power.
    I cannot fathom how that is a question at this point. There's enough recordings, emails, texts, etc. that state that. This wasn't the 2000 election where it needed to be punted to the SC to decide. They knew the outcome and wanted to change it.

2. Trump could have stopped it, and had an obligation to do so, and if both of those things are true, is responsible for what happened.

He swore to uphold and defend the US Constitution. So he had an obligation to a peaceful transition of power.

He was informed of what was happening, and he was tweeting and in conversation with folks at the time J6 was unfolding. Also, he orchestrated and directed folks to act on his behalf, which means...he had responsibility. For the J6 treason at the Capitol, I think he could have stopped it with a tweet or a "stand down" or what have you. For the attempts to "find votes", he definitely could have stopped it. If he sends out a "y'all stop now" tweet, and it gets ignored, I think he's absolved of said responsibility. If he had exhibited a sense of caution against illegally trying to manipulate the outcome of the election in various stages, just a "Hey, if there's a clean, legal way to do this..." he would be able to kick responsibility down to whoever acted illegally. As far as I can tell, he did not.

3. His responsibility should prevent him from being elected again.

Every lawyer on earth has said this is a pretty airtight case, based on the CO judges writing. This is precisely why the 14th was put in place: you commit treason, you cannot assume the office.

1. Treason was committed.
    2. The person responsible for the treason is trying to get elected.
    3. Nope.

Will the SC uphold it is a big fucking question. Thus far, they have been relatively sane compared to some of the shit that's made its way to their docket. There's some legitimate questions around the timing, as there's a deadline of January 15th (I think?) for the CO primary ballot.

The CO GOP machine essentially has nothing to lose here. It's not a state the GOP expects to carry, and the down-ticket races will be quiet. If the CO primary becomes the first place a non-Trump candidate is guaranteed a place on the ballot, there'll be a flood of money, resources, attention, etc. pouring in, making their races more competitive or giving them an advantage. Rhonda Santis and Nikki Haley are both re-writing schedules to focus on stops in rural CO as we speak.

Also, am I the only one surprised at how fucking lax this has been? I was led to believe from all the Tom Clancy novels that treason would be dealt with more harshly than a deadbeat dad's probation.

I don't see "let Trump lose another election" or "electoral neutrality" as a valid defense here. If it's fucking treason, which it pretty clearly seems to be, then get the fuck on it. I don't care about the potential outcome of the election, I care about the Kari Lakes of the world that will refuse to accept election results and turn a bunch of horseshit into a crusade against their fellow Americans for the rest of my life. I care about rule of law being fucking upheld, justice being delivered, and politics finally getting a sense of its place in the world. I want the reality tv show we've been using for governance to be corrected by the laws and institutions designed to do precisely that. I'm mostly pissed it took this long.

The 14th Amendment isn't an election tool, it's both for justice (remember kids, people died because of this) and for the preservation of democracy.

Biden isn't popular, but he's done a bunch of shit that simply needed to be done. We can argue if he's done well with it or not, but he's NEVER been popular. The polling has been consistently bad, and the idea that someone in CO saw him losing and invoked the power of the 14th Amendment like some shitty obscure DnD move is wrong.