Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"High" interest rates are a function of bringing down inflation and them being stagnant at almost 0% for over 15 years. It wasn't sustainable and laying that at Biden's feet is BEYOND disingenuous to perceive the economy as being bad. We are actually back at the same interest rates we had before the 2008 housing market debacle. A point in time where everyone was so happy with the economy and how much they were flourishing....
    Groceries are never coming back down to pre-pandemic levels. This is a function of capitalism as it's been for the past century and it's never going to change. We aren't going to see $1 gas like we did in the early 90's no matter how much we want it to happen. We aren't going to see $1.25 for milk or $1 for a loaf of bread ever again.
    This shouldn't be a surprise to people that the cost of goods rise every year, very consistently. Wages should be following the trend, but they haven't because we refuse to raise the minimum wage in the country since 2009. 15 years without a federal wage increase and we are surprised people have feelings about the economy which are completely misplaced.

"Overall, I think things can be way worse but as long as people are feeling pain at the grocery store or every time they fill up, they will perceive the economy as bad even when it’s good."
    100000000% agree, which is why I said people are completely ridiculous at the moment and have zero clue as to what is actually happening in the country.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Forcing an increase of the minimum wage in an inflationary environment is not going to solve anything. The purchasing power of the average consumer has been declining for decades and is exacerbated by inflation. These are two separate forces that have a shitty nexus.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The biggest contributor to people feeling squeezed on cost of living is housing costs, and that's the result of 50+ years of terrible local zoning and development, and has almost nothing to do with any President, past or present.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"I know the assignment was to do a Shakespeare monologue, but I updated it to take place in New York in the modern day like that version of Hamlet with Ethan Hawke, is that ok?"

5. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is very much person & situation dependent. By almost every metric, the economy did outstanding in the mid to late 90's, yet for my family they sucked. Dad was laid off from the mine due to environmental/energy shifts away from coal, so he used his GI Bill & union benefits to go to college.

He decided to become registered nurse as he liked the course work, it was above ground, the pay was good, and at the time there were hundreds of want ads looking for RN's. He graduated just in time for the bottom to fall out of the health care industry due to Clinton's efforts to reform health care. It took him almost three years to find work as an RN after passing his RN board.

The current economy looks great on paper, however wages & salaries are out of line with current costs. Both of which elected officials have little control over.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The best thing Biden can do if he gets a second term is to set the stage for a return of the manufacturing sector. Getting Congress to overturn the Jones Act would be a great start.

Say what you will about party divisions, but the foreign economic policy of both Trump and Biden have been identical.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Aaron Rodgers is one of the top picks to be RFK JR’s running mate

this is a real thing that is being reported on

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Why do Green Bay’s best QB’s turn retarded when they retire?

9. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was a retard long before he retired.

If you want a bit of a deep dive into his career and pathology, check out Qanon Anonymous Episode 263. The guest is Arif Hasan, who's been an NFL writer for at least a decade. It covers Rodgers' early days, before he turned into a giant cunt, and gradually descends into madness.

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Republican Ken Buck has announced that he's quitting Congress, with less than two weeks notice.

Does anyone get the impression that between this, Glitch McConnell stepping down, and Mitt Romney leaving that something really bad is going to come to light about the GQP?

You know, worse than normal?

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Not really, not everyone wants to serve for life. And given the way things are going, I don't blame them. There are Democrats not seeking reelection also.

12. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Inread something about the timin of his stepping down prevents Boebert from trying to run for his seat

13. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This Congress has been historically unproductive, and well....if MTG was a coworker and Mike Johnson was your boss, and Hoebert was your replacement...

Also with Trump loyalists in the RNC, anyone down ticket will have a hell of a time fund raising.

This narrows the GOP majority to two, and by November, it may not even be that much.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Basically him stepping down now means they have to hold a special election to replace him, which means there will be an incumbent (the winner of the special election) that Boebert has to beat come the fall, instead of competing for an open seat. He also timed it so it's too late for her to file to run into her current district. Her choices are to either resign from Congress to run in the special election, or wait to face the winner of the special election in the general.

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wish someone would try to ratfuck MTG that way. Between her and Boebert, I think Greene is more toxic than her. They both suck terribly. But I feel like Boebert can turn it off and play ball and not be a strictly chaos person. Greene is purely about attention seeking and stupid horseshit.

16. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know what is scary is I feel that if Trump wins there is a very good chance that we might have to move back to America because war could break out in Europe. We already have decided no more dogs after ours dies so we don’t have to worry about a pet should we bug out.

I am fairly convinced Green is the one who left the Jan 6 pipebomb. The video clearly shows a muscular woman, who allegedly wears the exact shoes Green had worn in instagram videos.

Not to mention she won’t shut the fuck up about the pipebomb, like a 5 year old so proud they got away with something.

I am sure the FBI knows, but risking going after a sitting congress woman could get ugly.

#22396 kuhjäger, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get that Trump's views on immigration are a bit extreme, but he can anti-deport you?

18. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If it makes you feel any better, it's as likely to be a civil war as it is any war that might affect you and where you live. The Canadians might have to start worrying about how they're going to handle all our refugees.

Question, do we pick sides before we see the movie, or after? What if we don't see it?

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

There won't be a civil war whatsoever. There would need to be major food shortages, energy shortages, South-Africa levels of inequality or the federal government being completely incapable of exerting authority over a geographic region that shares common and unifying cultural, economic and political philosophies, which we also don't really have.

20. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not even a skirmish? There's definitely enough people in the trailer comments to field a good skirmish.