Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Democrats have more registered voters. If they buy the whole, "ITS THE END OF DEMOCRACY!!1!" line and actually show up and vote, they'll win. If they stay home from any lack of enthusiasm, Trump wins.

2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, I’m not gonna do that again.

2020 was the election of “Because Trump is an awful human and a worse president, observations about Biden’s current cognitive issues are not allowed.”

This election, currently, is “Because Trump is an awful human being and a worse president, Biden’s obvious cognitive issues don’t matter at all.”

No gaslighting this year. This is what it is.

Now don’t misread what I’m saying - Trump IS an awful human and a worse president. If this is what the election will be, I’d vote for Biden. But I’m not going to pretend I’ve been watching a fully cognizant old man who just has a pesky stutter.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Don't forget the jet lag! That really hinders one's ability to recall esoteric policy details, remember names of people you've known for years, work after 8pm and not look like a reanimated corpse, apparently.

5. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why is every flaw of Trump's hand waved away as, "Oh that's just Trump being Trump", and every flaw of Biden's is a reason for him to wither away and die? He is fully cognizant and he does have a stutter. THE GUY IS OLD. He's mentally slower than he used to be 10 years ago, he didn't all of a sudden pick up a case of down's syndrome. And yes, nothing about Biden's mental or physical capabilities matters. They could wheel him out on stage for the next 4 months on a gurney, in a coma, and he'd still make a better president than Trump. Would it be better if there was another Democrat who could have stepped up and taken over for Biden a couple years ago, absofuckinglutely. Did that actually happen? No. Biden's the guy, for better or worse. Getting on a high horse and talking about how aggrieved you are about the Democratic party is pretty laughable. The biggest knock against them currently is letting Biden run for a second term and that's enough to dominate the news cycle for the past week, but let's just brush aside all of the BATSHIT CRAZY that's happening on the other side. I could name 20 things that happened in the past month which would completely disqualify 90% of the Republican party from holding office, but go on about Biden being old.

6. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The same polls who called it for Hillary in 2016. Then, called it for Democrats gaining seats in the house in 2018. Then calling Trump the winner in 2020. Then calling a red wave in 2022. Then calling for there being no chance of abortion being a vote getter in red states. The polls are bullshit and they have been for almost a decade now. They are using the same methodology to conduct polls as they did 30/40/50 years ago like nothing in the news cycle or social media landscape has changed.

7. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why are you mad at me because I won’t just brush off Biden’s obvious cognitive issues? Why are you implying that because I won’t do this, I’m somehow supporting Trump?
    How does the part you bolded translate to me hand-waving away Trump? Literally saying I’d vote for a man who had obvious cognitive issues? Because I don’t fucking want Trump anywhere near the White House again? Which is what I said?

#22807 NatCH, Jul 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
  8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because the unfortunate reality of our present political moment, which we all understand implicitly, but rarely vocalize, is that there are three main camps in this country:
    • Trump supporters, who hate most Americans and prioritize harming them above all else, and can never be convinced to do what is right for the country
    • A coalition of politically engaged leftists, progressives, moderate Democrats, and former Republicans who can be counted on to, at least, vote to keep Trump out of office
    • A large cohort of mostly-selfish, but occasionally well-meaning, idiots who skim the bare surface of politics and make up their minds a week before the election
    and we're all trying to figure out how best to persuade that third group to help us keep the country out of ruin. We have no idea what they want, nor, I suspect, do they, but after 8 years of Trump's malignancy, we have to figure that we've gotten whatever meat existed on the "Trump is really fucking bad" bone. Do they want a moderate old white man to allay their fears of left-wing radicalism? Oh fuck, did we go too old? Do they vote on abortion, but not on the court appointments that decide abortion? Probably. Do they vote based on the economy, but not the real economy, but the vibes economy they think is real? Fuck if I know. But we're going to throw shit at the wall until something sticks.

*There are also a small group of libertarians and anti-electoralist leftists who spend their time wanking themselves to the fantasy of being smarter than everyone else while never casting a meaningful vote in their lives. They mostly don't matter.

9. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I voted for Trump in 2016 because I was anti-Hillary. In 2020, Biden was going to win CA regardless but I left it blank as I couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump again. Now I actively hope he drops dead of a massive heart attack.

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My dad voted Republican pretty much my whole life growing up, but his shift once Trump arrived on the scene can probably be best expressed by what he said when the news reported Trump was being released from Walter Reed after getting over COVID: "well that was a wasted opportunity."

11. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The cognitive issues thing that everyone is harping on all of a sudden is only focused on Biden and NEVER on anyone from the right. Mitch McConnel literally froze up on television like he was having a stroke on 4 separate occasions and we didn't hear a peep from the republican base about him resigning. Have you actually listened to any of the rallies Trump has put on in the last 3-4 months? If you want to talk about cognitive decline, listen to any 5 minute span of any of them and you'll hear the incoherent ramblings of an old feeble man, which gets completely ignored. Biden has a bad debate, while obviously being sick, and people are losing their fucking minds.

Honestly, and if this is offensive so be it, if you are not voting for whatever corpse or non corpse of the Democrats who runs for president this year, you are throwing your support behind Trump and what the Republican party now stands for. If Republicans happen to get their collective mouths off Trumps cock before the next presidential election rolls around, I'd maybe consider supporting a Republican candidate for president if the Democrats put up someone who is terrible. If the Republicans continue along with Trump like delusions of how the country should run, there's no one who comes out of that party who should even sniff a political office. We are literally at the point where a vote for a non Democrat is taking steps closer to actually destroying the country. I know that sounds like hyperbole and nonsense, but in the past 3 weeks the supreme court has basically overridden decades of case law to open the doors to completely fucking over our country. This is the direct result of supporting Trump, either by directly voting for him, or coming up with stupid reasons not to support Democrats.

I'm not saying you want Trump as president again, but the way you worded your post it sounds pretty close to what every other "pundit and expert" is saying about Biden. Ignore the past 3.5 years of his accomplishments as president, ignore everything Trump and the Republicans are doing and keep pressing this incapacitated old man narrative.

I agree with a lot of this which is why people freaking the fuck out over a bad debate in the middle of June is bonkers.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He’s going to. He’s in his late 70s and he’s morbidly fucking obese. And when he does soon die, his idiot cult will blame anyone and anything but the truth of it. He’s a fat fuck, and fat fucks don’t get into their 80’s,

13. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel like you’re upset at me personally because I’m not commenting on everything you want me to comment on. I pop in and out of the board and am busy, and chime in when I feel like it.
    Feel free to DM me if you need to know specific opinions of mine.

But it’s my opinion that Biden is having obvious cognitive issues and I’m not going to change my mind on that.

So is McConnell, in my opinion - and Trump, and many others. They shouldn’t be in the positions they are running for, or currently holding.

Sorry if I’m not saying it the right way for you.

#22813 NatCH, Jul 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
  14. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, you wrote a giant paragraph of, essentially, “any vote not for Biden is a vote for Trump,” and then in your first reply to me you highlighted my sentence “if this is what the election will be, I’d vote for Biden.”

Meaning, if the election truly is Trump vs. Biden, as it is now - I’m voting for Biden, specifically because of the whole “any vote not for the democrat is a vote for Trump” thing.

So…dafuq?

15. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My apologies, I wasn't specifically calling you out and I misunderstood what you were saying. It read as, "This election should be about Trump vs Biden, but it's not so therefore I can't vote for Biden because of his cognitive decline."

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, glad that’s clarified.

To be fair, when McConnell had his first freeze, I did say (elsewhere) that you can’t talk about Biden and then completely ignore that shit or pretend it’s not a huge fucking issue.

17. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is funny to read all of this when there is a large swarth of people who are going to vote for Trump who don't hate anyone. I know Obama caught hell, but I have never seen this outright hatred for a candidate in my life. There is little mention of policy or anything, its just fuck that guy because fuck him.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

For who? Trump? Biden? Both?

19. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eh, yeah. Fuck that guy because fuck him.

Personally? My 2020 taxes were a shock, having to pay a couple thousand back. Turns out the W-2 was redone so that it made sure I wasn’t paying in enough to cover it, even with the right withholding. Made it look like taxes “went down” in an election year. Got fucked in early 2021.
    And yeah, it’s my fault for not knowing about it. But still shitty.

On a less important note, maybe that’s part of it for me now. My ISTJ sensibilities don’t have any more patience for a guy who can’t just own something and let it go. “Everything is great, that thing I did that doesn’t seem great is fake news, I didn’t send a tweet before my phone could autocorrect to ‘coverage,’ we did everything perfect at all times.”

20. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://www.vox.com/the-gray-area/358713/how-the-1990s-broke-politics

The thing that Trump is selling is a brand of conservative ideology that is essentially: "fuck them, get yours with us." and "they might have the passport, but they are not real Americans, and thus are not worth considering/counting votes/etc.".

Also, Trump entered politics based on the lie that Obama was Kenyan. This is such an easily defeated and silly lie, but people never held it against him. It's the lie they want to believe: I'm a 'real' American, and they are not. It became so fucking easy to perpetuate this: anything that doesn't jive with this brand isn't "real" America, from doctors during COVID-19, to climate scientists, etc. Trump tells lies about things that would make Americans put their head in the sands otherwise. He made them proud and defiant of the things the left shames, like ignorance, racism, greed and prejudice. Trump saying "I'm not a rapist or a pedophile, the women making these allegations just hate me and want my money" is the Idiocracy version of Bush's "they hate us for our freedoms".

The truth of things like climate change, the economy, covid, etc. is absolutely terrifying, and the Boomers keeping Trump afloat are simply not reckoning with any of the dark clouds over their future well. They've sold out to Trump, to religion, to any possible variation of a future where they are not the problem, their beliefs were lies, and they were railroaded into a lifestyle they never wanted and then sealed into it with comfort, propaganda and money. At this point, they won't reconcile, should Trump lose. This movement just gets more shrill and absurd as the participants increasingly see themselves as victims, and precious few point out the victimizers are the ones they elected.

There's too much smoke now for Biden to not acknowledge there's fire. He's never polled well, but he's also behind in fundraising, and the polling only matters in swing states. Remember kids, Biden wins on a "defense" (ie, anyone but Trump) vote in most places. The path depends on 6 states, and if Kamala does better than Biden in WI, MI, PA, GA, AZ and NV, that's all that matters. She'd definitely have an advantage in GA, and I could see a late-campaign push making her do much better in PA, WI, and MI, especially with the suburban women Trump lost. I see AZ as a toss up and NV going her way. I could see some pink states like OH, IA and NC flipping for Kamala based on the Dobbs issue getting more women out to vote. Also, this is the first election with GenZ. I see turnout being more significant than in other elections, but again...not so much in red states.

For the record, Biden is as easygoing a centrist as they could ask for, and the vitriol never stopped. "Fuck Joe Biden" goes down far easier than "Fuck Kamala Harris". Kamala Harris just might fuck back, and she doesn't have the burdens that Biden did. I see Kamala's messaging being wildly aggressive compared to Biden's, if for no other reason than she has to get everyone's attention real quick.

I'm saying they make the switch once Trump's VP pick is announced, and they can do a fundraising push off that.