Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I’m not really sure whether it’s a good idea to replace him, but the sheer amount of opinions on it now coming from every angle make it seem very likely.

I just feel the reaction to that debate was either “oh fuck, there is something wrong with him,” or “oh fuck, we can’t go on pretending there isn’t something wrong with him.”
    Hearing sound bytes of his press secretary saying she’s never seen him more alert and engaged hits me, personally, the same as hearing Trump say that everybody says the US was amazing and perfect when he was president.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The problem is we can't make any hard and fast declarations because there's so much about our current circumstances that is unprecedented, making historical parallels dubious at best. We've never had an incumbent as old and publicly frail as Biden. We've never had a challenger as despised as Trump. We've never had an incumbent whose approval ratings are so divorced from the actual performance of his administration. We simply don't know what effect replacing or keeping Biden on the ticket will have, unfortunately.

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Historical precedent disagrees with that statement

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yes we did. He hid his wheelchair from the public and ended up dying in office from complications from polio. His public appearances, for what they were in the 1940s, were not flattering. People had suspected something was wrong with him for a year up until he bought it. He's also the reason we have term limits.

5. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that the optics of replacing Biden will be crucial to how it improves/reduces tRump's chances in the election.

If Biden says "After careful consideration I don't think I have another 4 years left in me to do the job and I need to do the responsible thing and step aside for Whomever." it will go over a lot better then it looking like he was forced out by whomever.

There is a pretty serious disruption to tRump's narrative if he isn't running against Biden. And I don't know how well he will be able to shift his sound bites to a new candidate. Especially if he keeps talking about how he needs to defeat Biden in the upcoming election.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

At least his brain still worked. The problem is it was during a time where if you were a cripple the general reaction when finding out is to have you shot and pissed on.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FDR was barely into his 60s at the time of his last Presidential campaign, and as you said, the press hid his polio from the public. He was also an extremely effective wartime President whose fireside chats were clear, forceful, and coherent. Much different circumstances to Biden's slowdown being blasted over both traditional and social media 24/7.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Biden steps aside, Harris is on deck. What about her made her flame out first in the primaries? What is different about her now? I fully expect racist and sexist attacks against her. They’ve already started. If she gets passed up for someone else, how will that look?

Personally, I don’t care who the nominee is. But this circular firing squad of Dems openly saying they think he should step aside is terrible optics. Democrats always have a problem letting the gop drive the narrative. But now, the media is driving the narrative. The New York Times is practically drooling for him to not be the nominee. Same with most every pundit out there.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

That's fair. It just generally erodes public trust in the government by willfully deceiving the public. Unfortunately the options to force Biden out are unrealistic and few.

10. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Didn’t we have a president who stroked out, and his wife ran the country for a while?

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reagan or Wilson?

12. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ha! The one who wasn’t on Death Valley Days.

EDIT: in a cinematic sense.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Well, Nancy first had to have the solar panels Carter installed on the White House roof removed because they were interfering with her psychic abilities.

That’s not even remotely sarcastic. That fucking happened.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Jimmy Carter probably still has his marbles, can't we run him? Gas prices are already high so that's baked in.

[​IMG]

Still looks more coherent than Biden.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

AOC has filed impeachment articles against Thomas and Alito. Charges are mainly failure to disclose income, gifts, and reimbursements, as well as refusal to recuse from cases in which they have a financial interest. Won't go anywhere with a majority Republican House, but at least someone is pushing the issue.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I loved him as the puppet from the Saw movies.

Just let him fucking die. Jesus.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They did. He's been in hospice for like a year and a half. He just fucking refuses to go.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

lol, if AOC or anyone else thinks that's unique to Thomas & Alito, well, lol

And, lol, if she thinks there won't be an absolute attack on trying to show her own improprieties, well, also lol. But, hey, if she weathers that storm and is clean, then good for her.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

And the guy was doing Habitat for Humanity until he physically couldn't anymore. Respect.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He should move here, we’re allowed to go out with dignity when we know it curtains. Carter is a good man. He never fired a single shot in four years, he deserves so much better than to suffer.