Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They are legitimate questions, I didn’t mean to say they weren’t - but it’s that constant “stay frosty, nobody is coming to save you” thing at the end that I just find off putting. “I want it all to break down so I can kill people” is what I get from it.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

all questions I have. I immediately told my wife that the USSS response, allowing him to basically be unguarded and visible afterward for other threats, was at the very least amateur if not highly suspect. We both despise trump, as I’ve made very clear in this very thread, but I still wouldn’t have left the dude out to dry like that — get him behind cover. And your own ass too.

her response to me was “please don’t put that on Facebook” so I will in here.

But yeah, there’s a lot to this shit. Like others have noted though, others died. I’m still betting the simplest explanation of “this was just a fuckup and a former president who actively encourages violence doesn’t get the best of the best of the USSS” is the correct one.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

USSS has to rely on local police as well, and in this case a local cop spotted the shooter, confronted him, got a rifle pointed at him, and pulled an Uvalde.

In that cops defense, "would you sacrifice your life to protect Donald Trump?" is a question that should elicit an "absolutely fucking not" from any human who is not actually on his USSS detail. It's definitely not on the job application for beat cop in Butler, PA.

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Except that cop’s inaction led to the death of an innocent civilian. Just as in Uvalde, there is no defense. That officer should be fired immediately.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If the cop hadn't interfered, it would have been a clean headshot on Trump and no civilians would have been harmed, so really, isn't this all the cop's fault for even going up there?

7. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, if you’re a cop and working an event, and somebody says “he’s got a gun, he’s on the roof,” you signed up for that. You don’t back away because YOU had a gun pointed at you.

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

the courts have ruled multiple times that the police have no duty to protect. Further reading.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pretty sparsely detailed. How did the cop duck for? Was he trying to radio for help when he ducked? We talking 5 minutes before the kid started shooting? 30 seconds? The kid already had the jump on him and the high ground and most likely had him outgunned. Engaging him would have been fruitless other than drawing attention to the area. Not that I imagine there was smooth communication between the local authorities and the secret service but radioing the sniper teams with much better vantage point and weaponry to engage.

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bullshit. You sign up to do a job, you do the fucking job no matter how big an asshole the person is.

That would be abhorrent behavior in a multitude of professions. I can’t stand the sonofabitch in the least but if he went down in front of me I’m starting CPR. Same as I would for any human being.

I’ve had to render care to rapists, murderer and people who’d done God knows what. And every one of them got the same treatment as the kind old church organist on the call before. Because that was my job and I signed up for it.

I’ll state it again for those in the back: I cannot stand the sonofabitch. But the amount of “too bad he missed” I’m reading is, quite frankly, goddamned repulsive.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure, you cared for them, but how many of them would you have given your life for? How many would you be ok with someone having to explain to your wife and kids that you weren't coming home, just to save them? My guess is not a single rapist or murderer makes that list. Cops in a small town in Pennsylvania signed up to enforce the law, not to take a bullet for the worst person in America.

13. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And his brains decorating the lawn before his handgun cleared the holster. I won’t fault anyone for ducking in a situation like that.

14. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

None, unless you want to count the possibility of a high speed crash on the way there. But that risk was part of the job. Taking a bullet for them wasn’t.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same with cops. There's a risk involved, but when you're staring down the barrel of an AR-15, pulling back and calling for backup is SOP. Donald Trump of all people is certainly not worth deviating from that at the cost of your own life.

16. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh shit, you know what? I misread your post somewhat.

Yes, absolutely, the LOCAL cop did the correct thing because that’s SOP. I don’t believe “that guy is an asshole anyway” should come into play in that decision any more than my theoretical church organist.

Where I got off track with my response was in getting it mixed up with the Secret Service, who do have that obligation to jump in front of the person they’re protecting. Sorry about that.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All good.

18. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I forgot the president was speaking tonight and only caught the last five minutes or so. I think it’s what we needed to hear from him and I hope it resonates.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

While I 100% agree with this and hope I would do the same, unfortunately the law does not hold that to be true, at least in the case of police as I have linked above. I also think that we have to further delineate the specifics here -- the cops who specifically signed up for the job that day of doing protection at the rally should have been willing to protect the former president at all costs. Granted, that is a moral distinction rather than a legal one unless they signed a contract giving them those obligations, but I still believe that those specific cops should have stated to whomever granted them that assignment, that they their definition of protection included the willingness to give their own life in pursuit of said protection, and if they couldn't do that, then the local PD should have found cops who could.

Separating this part because it's a different point. It's possible to not condone violence, while also not being upset if he died. Same thing as if trump died of natural causes -- end result is that the dude is dead. He is a literal domestic terrorist, as well as a former president. He's also a pedophile, a racist, a rapist, hates women, poor people, uneducated people (even if he himself is one), has zero moral compass, makes fun of disabled people at rallies, and is sexually attracted to his own daughter. If you remove "former president" from his resume, any reasonable person would not be disappointed if that person stopped consuming oxygen.

I do not like political violence of any kind. I am incredibly saddened by the deaths and injuries to innocent civilians. But I also am extremely upset at the existence of people like trump -- that being, rapists, pedos, racists and such -- who are allowed to walk free among us. So yes, it's possible to be angry that the violence occurred (especially upset at those encouraging political violence, like, for example, him), while still disappointed that trump is also alive. Not saying that I wish he was shot, merely that I wish he didn't exist in the first place.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That kind of statement can be interpreted in a few different ways depending on how psycho the person uttering it is.
    For some, it means the courts and legal system aren’t going to keep Trump out of the Oval Office, so you better vote.

For others, it could be mean get locked and loaded and prepare yourself. Because when seconds matter, the cops are minutes away. No one is coming to save you.

Or…those liberal/conservative/fascist/commies aren’t going to tell me how to live. No one is coming to save us so strap up.

It’s one of those catch all phrases.