Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Vance's entire career has been backed by tech billionaires, like Peter Theil, who helped him get on the NYT best seller's list.

If he's got tech money backing him, it's not just Elon who's supporting Trump. Vance was occupying a Senate seat until 2026, where he'd be in prime position for a run at WH/Cabinet in 2028.

If he's coming off the bench for Trump now, it means they expect Trump to win, and they didn't just squander Vance's Senate seat.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nikki Haley's son just tweeted "Breaking: Tim Scott calls off wedding" in response to JD Vance being picked as VP.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was the other thing that helped him get on the NYT best seller's list being a Yale Law graduate who wrote a book that people liked? Because, even though Ron Howard's film version* of the book isn't that good, it did star Amy Adams and Glenn Close, which also helped boost sales.

JD Vance was a former critic of Trump, fairly fierce, if I remember. So, that's he's changed his mind will likely help. And, he's 39, so maybe that will appeal to some younger voters?

For the record, even though I also did background work on this movie, it was not my fault that it sucked.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you start following Nalin Haley after he called Scott Senator Judas?

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did not; someone sent me the tweet cause it's such a direct shot it's hilarious.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Vance was also a Marine Corps vet in Iraq. The main thing that got him NYT attention was Thiel buying 10K+ advance copies of his book. Not saying it's not a good book, I'm saying he's been bought and paid for by Thiel's ilk since moment one, and that support has not wavered nor gone away.

The GOP desperately need the youth vote, in any sense they can get it. They are outnumbered 62 to 38 in most polls nationwide, and it only gets worse as the pollsters skew younger. I dunno how Vance will do, but he's not the insurance policy that Mike Pence was. If Trump can't make it, President Vance isn't a problem, it's an asset.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know how much Vance helps them with the youth vote. He has zero executive experience, almost zero legislative experience, looks like he mails birthday cards with quarters in them, and speaks to approximately zero issues that matter to the youth.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is fucking hilarious.

9. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kind of like how Newsom's rise was done by the Getty family. (Amongst other prominent Bay Area families)

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be fair, I've been to the Getty, and it's a far nicer museum than Peter Thiel's Gallery of Drained Youths.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think he could care less about issues that matter to the youth. He is very much of the "I grew up in a shitty home with a shitty mother. Get over yourself." ilk.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, but Newsome's rise was always geared towards local/state politics. Vance's Senate win was never the end goal, it was a stepping stone.

Vance has been groomed for national politics for a while now, and this announcement tells us a few things:
    1. The billionaire crowd thinks Trump will win and is openly backing that horse.
    2. They also think the shooting plays to Trump's favor in helping him win.

This isn't the same set of douchebags that helped Trump win in 2016.

For one, you have the CEO of Twitter openly backing a political candidate at that level. It's a bold stance considering the major platforms narrowly escaped regulation from the last election cycles. I think Trump issued the warning of: regulation's coming, back me now or reap it later, even threatening to imprison Zuck. And the Supreme Court's weird decision on the conservative speech in these platforms only suggested: wrong bullet, but the gun works just fine.

13. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Neither Biden nor Harris are wining this election. It's done, the Democrats have once again fucked the pooch. The best the Dems can hope for is that they split the votes and manage to score victories in the House and Senate to keep the morons from fucking things up too badly.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Read that he is thought to help shore up the rust belt swing states with his hillbilly bonafides. Seems like a reasonable choice in that sense. Trump probably picked him because the book was made into a movie and the adulation Vance gives him. I had thought a wild card like Tulsi Gabbard. I think she could articulate and soothe the abortion issue as well as connect better with youths and minorities better than a standard white dude.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not a youth or a minority. But, it's been my experience that both youth and minorities want the same thing that everyone wants: honesty and authenticity. Vance met his wife at Yale, and she was raised Hindu by Indian immigrants. That's a ways away from "standard white dude," and in the few bits of interviews I have seen with them, he seems to genuinely love her. They both seem very smart and capable, and that is so far from what's currently in the White House, that will help the Trump ticket, I think. Trump typically disgusts me, but JD Vance doesn't - maybe he hasn't been around long enough, lol.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Trump has lowered the bar so incredibly far when "doesn't hate his wife" puts JD Vance at the head of the Republican pack. Keep watching him; he's disingenuous even by the standards of politics, and even by the standards of Republican politics. There is no principle he claims to hold that isn't negotiable or for sale.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I can't think of a more unforced error in politics than this one. All they had to was push Biden aside in the primaries, like he had planned for himself anyway, and pick literally anyone else. So fucking stupid.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know - Reagan won reelection in the slam dunkiest of slam dunks, and Bush Sr gacked that up by turning back on his two main promises. Shit, the country was so red, white, and bluing that Whitney Houston's Super Bowl National Anthem was legendary. And, a year and a half later, the Governor of Arkansas was elected president. Bush changed his tax plan and his foreign policy basics coming off roaring economic prosperity and winning the cold war. I know Perot had a part, but damn, it was on a silver platter and Bush blew it. (And, not long after, Lewinsky blew it, heyoooo.) Was that more unforced?

19. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded