Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not strictly illegal, but electors cannot vote for both a President and a Vice President from their home state. So as a functional matter, one or the other would have to sacrifice California's electoral votes, which even an idiot wouldn't do.

You can get around it by changing residency prior to joining the ticket, the way Dick Cheney established residency in his original home state of Wyoming before joining the Texan George W. Bush's ticket, but in this case Newsom is the sitting Governor and Harris is the sitting Vice President, so neither can really change their residency.

In this case Newsom could have challenged Harris for the nomination directly, but his endorsement makes it seem like he's not planning to seek any office for himself this cycle.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ah, thank you!

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anybody see that Wolf Blitzer posted a selfie on his Twitter, of him having a "Wolf Spritzer" drink at Sunday brunch . . . and, like 90 minutes later, he was on CNN wearing a tie, discussing a sitting president dropping out of the race? Because that's hilarious.

4. doomrider7

doomrider7
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Reading Trump's posts on Twitter and you know what, Kage was right in wishing the next one doesn't miss and I'm bummed the kid was a bad shot. Would have truly "Made America Great Again".

5. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I had some bullshit job like being a talking head on network TV, the way that Wolf Blitzer does, I'd probably be BLITZED all the time, AMIRITE?!

I'm not even joking. Why should anyone respect Wolf Blitzer? CNN has been bought out, along with all of the other major "news" outlets.

One last thing that I want to say: IF Wolf Blitzer went on air buzzed/ drunk, and he held it together, more power to him.
    This country is held together by functional alcoholics.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He fucking SUCKS. Need I remind everyone this man got shit-housed on Jeopardy! by a guy who gets into tantrum-inspired Twitter arguments with 17-year-olds?

IMG_4056.jpeg

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Would be funny if the DNC did not want Kamala but Biden endorsed her anyway knowing that so they now have to deal with her.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I wonder if she’ll ask Tupac to endorse her.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whitmer, Beshear, Pritzker, Shapiro, and Cooper have endorsed Harris. Harris has the nomination locked up.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welp, four more years of Trump. Ugh..

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Idunno, I think if she sticks to her prosecutor persona and makes this about the law vs a sex criminal, she has a shot. Republicans are already whining about her as the nominee is "undemocratic" and unfair to Democratic primary voters (thanks guys, you always have our best interests at heart), as well as reviving the whole birther thing where a woman born in California isn't an American citizen. This tells me they got caught flat-footed and really have nothing. I think the dynamics of the race have meaningfully changed, and we'll see if that's enough.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

?

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They're trying to claim that because her parents were on student visas at the time of her birth, that means Kamala didn't meant the "subject to the jurisdiction of the United States" requirement to be a natural born citizen, and is thus ineligible for the Presidency. It's a nonsense interpretation of the 14th Amendment, but it's all they've got.

14. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could be (and likely am) wrong, but I don't see how, even with Biden dropping out, Trump is a shoe in. Maybe I'm living in too much of a bubble, but I am just not seeing the excitement/vocal support of Trump in this election the way I did in 2016 and 2020. Especially among the Republicans I'm friends with and related to. And they are not people that keep their opinions to themselves by any measure. I'm wondering if we are going to see much more third party voting for this election compared to previous elections.

And given how folks like Mike Johnson are talking about trying to screw with that transition, I think their bluff was called and they really didn't want Biden replaced. Trump could come off as remotely coherent compared to Biden. I think a person two decades younger (plus prosecutor background, if that actually means anything) is really going to give him trouble.

15. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The “unfair to the voters” argument doesn’t really make sense anyway. When an incumbent announces they’re running again, it means nobody is gonna fight that too hard. All those voters would vote for a D anyway.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also like, she's the Vice President? The entire point of which is to be someone selected by the voters to step in if the President can't continue?

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kamala Harris was born in Oakland. She should be eligible to run for President. But, I think the Newsweek article that went through a detailed hypothetical argument - like high school debate team topics - is giving credibility to people looking for it. It's an old article, from when Harris was selected as VP. Newsweek provided disclaimer notes AND a link to the counter argument.

https://www.newsweek.com/some-questions-kamala-harris-about-eligibility-opinion-1524483

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, it's a nonsense interpretation. My point was the fact that conservative influencers were trying to resurrect this idea tells me they were caught totally flat footed and have zero meaningful lines of attack on Harris pre-planned. They're just rummaging around the old racist bucket for ideas from four years ago.

19. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They could just go for the tried and true “she says weird shit and laughs goofy” angle.

20. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a voter, this changes nothing for me if Harris is the nominee. Both candidates suck.

As a New York resident, it also changes nothing for me because it's a forgone conclusion that the Democratic candidate wins this state.

I think the fair weather patriots may as well start scoping out Canadian real estate now, because Trump is going to win.