Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ah.

Biden has been a good president and was a lifelong public servant. He's as qualified as you could possibly be and during the run-up to his first term, was still a decent public speaker. I'm not sure why he would be "unelectable" in any circumstance. The last 4 years have visibly and obviously aged him, though.

Clinton was a personality dud, but she wasn't unqualified. She was smart, a publishing lawyer for a lot of her career, chaired like a thousand boards in and out of the White House, was senator for a decade and then secretary of state. I maintain that she would have been a fine leader. Hell, she won the popular vote. She just wasn't likeable which is - just to remind everyone - pretty much the least relevant qualification to be president. Just behind "do you wipe standing up or sitting down?" (Note: I don't want no standing wipers in my White House. Sick bastards.)

This is germane to the original point, which is that the Dems seem to be saddled with the burden of having to dig up a magical, charismatic, pure-as-the-driven-snow candidate every election cycle.

I mean, I'd like to give Obama a third term, too, but otherwise I don't know where to find the funnel of highly intelligent, extremely qualified, charismatic public speakers with unimpeachable character who want to be president. But that seems to be the obligation since the Republicans will get in line behind any goon with an R next to their name (note: I recognize multiple republicans in this thread who are not voting for the current republican candidate, this is a general comment and not specific to any individual).

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Those are fair points. I don't think that the Dems are required to find that unicorn candidate, I'm not sure who would be requiring that. The Democrats and Republicans are going to vote for their person regardless. But they sure do market their candidates that way. The excitement around Kamala Harris is certainly manufactured because she was a joke even among Democrats up until July. Sure, it's an improvement over someone that's 81 and has dementia, but they are chasing the Obama dragon with mixed results. They need to stop trying to serenade voters that are already going to vote for them and just give a concrete plan forward. The link someone posted earlier with a policy platform was not really that. Half of it was a collection of links from CNN articles that someone cobbled together, many of which were over a year old when she wasn't even running.

I agree with you on Hilary. She was probably the second or third-most qualified presidential candidate of all time (behind George HW Bush and maybe Eisenhower), but she just couldn't nail the relatability or likability factor. Then she called the working class deplorable. For someone with an extremely measured political career, that was a massive fuck-up.

The irony of it all is that Trump is probably one of the least personally likable candidates ever.

3. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not so much that. It's that, and I think we agree on this, there are other potential candidates that would have given trump an electoral ass whooping. Yet here we are, wondering if the more stable and qualified candidate can even win in a couple months, because of how the democrats have chosen their last few candidates, Kamala in particular.

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And least qualified.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Without exaggeration, Donald Trump may be the worst American we've ever produced. It depends a bit on your definition of "worst," but if you use a holistic definition that takes into account multiple factors, it's hard to find someone that tops him.

6. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And on top of that, it's worth keeping in mind that the founding fathers were fucking slavers. That's saying something.

7. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Except that's not the case.

The Republicans ALWAYS show up to vote, and they vote for whatever dogshit candidate the party props up ( look at Texas: Ted Cruz, Greg Abbott, Ken Paxton, and Dan Patrick. A murderer's row of corrupt, worthless politicians.).

The Dems and their youth/ minority/ LGBT/ "progressive" base are not nearly as reliable.

They seem pretty ready to just sit things out if the candidate doesn't promise them EVERYTHING they want.

Then if you throw in the electoral college and voter suppression by the Republicans , things look even worse for the Dems.

The "undecided" voters who are going to decide this election (in a handful of states; Goddam I hate this system) are the people who haven't DECIDED if they are actually going to get off their asses and vote.

So the Dems HAVE to have a charismatic candidate to persuade their lazy base to get off the couch and stand in line.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

True. They should have a process where the voters get to choose the most appealing candidate. We could call it a "primary."

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Juicy, I think that we've seen by now that primaries - Dem and GQP- are a fucking joke.

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The most frustrating thing about supporting Democrats is having to explain the very basics of democracy to a fresh batch of 18 year olds every four years. It is the sisyphean task of politics.

11. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, they should have a process where whichever candidate gets the most total votes across the country should be declared the winner. Not state by state.

12. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What are you, some kinda CAWMNIST?

Seriously, though, this shit is what I'm talking about.

Who the fuck wanted Kamala Harris in 2020?

Nobody, that's who. But because of the voting/ primary system, we're stuck with her now (or maybe not; only a couple of months to go).

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean it is arguable that her being part of the ticket as vp means that the voters generally approved of her when voting for Biden in the primary. VP choices can make or break a campaign. Sarah Palin comes to mind. JD Vance as well.

14. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who knew the Kennedy family legacy was to turn being rimmed by Monroe into rimming the only thing less appealing than her rotting corpse? Christ, y'all got any more of them Roosevelts???

Trump seems to be having a shitty week.

I can see the incident at Arlington National Monument tanking any non-cult campaign. Even I'm fucking angry about it.

The lawsuits are now piling up against the campaign, not to mention unpaid bills. New York is literally hot for them right now, because the AG can start getting her money soon. There's a renewed indictment threat (and remember, Dark Brandon lurking).

This is going off the rails and we're not even close to October. They can't get Kamala in the news if they wanted to, Trump's sucking is finally here, and the media is now is relishing the fuck out of it. It's mainstream news that Kamala didn't talk about working at McDonald's in her college application (WHICH LETS READ TRUMPS, OH WAIT).....while firefighters boo JD Vance and Trump commits a felony on our most sacred ground, while assaulting a public official (ONE SERVING AT OUR MOST SACRED GROUND....NOT A GIG FOR SHITHEADS).

The news is now "Kamala had a job, Trump commits sacrilege AND a felony, because the clocks ticking."

They could allege she's saved as "Pizza Gate" in Bernie Sanders AND George Soros' phone, and they can't get the eyeballs or the outrage the media is drawing from "Trump losing the race, his shit, his empire, his health, his family....."

The RFK left on the ballots from the "stolen election" crowd is fucking hysterical.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Them screaming that Biden should be forced to stay on the ballot too, despite Biden never actually being on any ballots, is just the icing on the cake.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Kennedy Family perception is all an illusion. His grandfather got rich running booze during Prohibition. He lobotomized his daughter for having what we call ADHD. JFK was personally a massive scumbag. Ted Kennedy murdered a woman and got away with it. Now RFK Jr. has brain worms (according to him) and dumped a dead bear in Central Park (???).

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

is there a hard deadline date for him to pay those bills? Also I remember something about him being charged interest? Maybe that's why his grifting is really ramping up lately

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You forgot cutting off a whale head. All in all about what I’d imagine from a person into falconry.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

No gayer hobby than falconry. Ooo you playing with birds? Fuck off dork.