Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The system is rigged. There should never be an instance were a candidate LOSES the popular vote, but still wins. The electoral college needs to go, like 100 years ago. There is no reason for it in the 21st century.

I'm older than you (1982, checking in), and no, this is the worst I've ever seen it. I've been paying attention to politics since Bush v. Clinton, and the worst political environment I've seen was when Obama was elected, and it was mostly racists screaming that a black man was elected.
    And I wanted McCain to win.

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

330 million people in this country, not all of them vote, and most of us remember an election decided by a handful of Supreme Court judges and a slightly larger handful of assholes in Florida that changed global history with the outcome, so....a rifle bullet might write a better story than a ballot, unfortunately.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-harris-election-09-15-24/index.html

What the fuck was he doing with ceramic tile? What was that for???

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was hoping to help Harris win in a grout.

4. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some kind of armor. He's nutty enough to believe it would stop a bullet.

5. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Look, I can’t stand the sonofabitch either, but in no way am I going to let my distaste for Trump make me say, “Eh, whatever,” when there’s an attempt on his or any other former president or presidential candidate’s life.

I won’t grieve the day he goes of natural causes, whatever they may be, but I sure as hell won’t celebrate another human’s death. I was raised better than that.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just can't bring myself to care that Trump didn't get shot. Like... he's fine. The gunman didn't even get a shot off. The only thing that has changed from this morning is that Trump is going to be extra annoying whining about someone who voted for him wanting to kill him. The idea that we all have to stop and pretend like nuts that shouldn't have guns threatening people who insist that said nuts should be allowed to keep guns, and the most odious man in American history having people who want him dead, are some big moral questions we have to drop everything and confront, to the exclusion of all else, is just exhausting. I pay my taxes and those taxes pay for the Secret Service, which appears to have done their job here. I don't owe this wretched man anything more than that, and I certainly don't owe him a minute's deflection in what this election should be focused on.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is an insane thing to say.

If you don't see how vastly different Trump and this political climate is, then you are not paying attention or you live in a different reality than the rest of us.

8. doomrider7

doomrider7
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Given the amount of violence he and his people incite, I don't think there's a violin small enough for what's happening to him and Vance. Ditto for Musk wanting to link attempts to Harris in an attempt to deflect.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The real fallout will hit the Secret Service, which is unfortunate. They've already had a director resign after the first attempt. This is more of a security breach if the guy didn't get a shot off. Having a gun on a golf course in Florida isn't exactly an assassination attempt.

Frankly, with the Supreme Court, Project 2025, and a lot of other nastiness designed to upfuck democracy, I don't see the disgruntled gun nuts viewing Trump as a problem slowing down. If anything this shows just how easy it would be. If this counts as an attempt, then Trump's alive now due more to luck than anything else, and that luck runs out eventually.

As far as how it affects the campaign, I don't think it does. The suspect voted for Trump, had mental health issues, and is alive to tell his story. I can't imagine the media having much fun with "yeah, I was a supporter but...(waves arm vaguely at reality), so i decided to try and kill him."

The Trump spin might be interesting just in terms of what it leaves out, like how astoundingly easy it was to get a gun on the property or the fact that this dude voted for him.

Vances admission that he made shit up to rile the media might have a much larger impact, because people got fucked over by the bomb threats, etc. It's not a far cry that people have died because Trumps cult made shit up (cough cough January 6th), and at some point those victims will demand justice and accountability. Vance has given every reason to be fired, resign or drop out, and I can see Trump throwing him under the bus to salvage his own lies, and waning credibility.

I say this because there are a LOT of Maga divorcees who would go postal when they realize all the lies that they believed were just trolling by Trump. I know 5 people who had qanon, antivax, and stolen election nonsense as key factors in breakups/divorces and being a sudden gun nut propagating conspiracy theories on Twitter was part of a fucking custody battle. The truth will hit these folks hard, and for some, it will be even more incendiary than the lies.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

In other words he lives online, gets every opinion he has on anything online, and thinks the world revolves around what he is told online.

A human blue checkmark.

11. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would say that after two attempts, the undecided voters might be leaning more toward not electing the guy who’s possibly going to have regular attempts, that are also public knowledge.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw this on Xitter, so I'm dubious. Trump ended gun laws that prevented mentally ill folks from purchasing guns. Would those laws have "caught" either of these would-be shooters? I don't think the first kid would've, because he stole the gun from his dad. The second guy?

Also, Trump signed the law that he got indicted under for hiding classified intel in his fucking bathroom. Just saying, the irony is pretty good..

Also, I wonder if Elon Musk got a note from the Secret Service to delete his tweet about no one trying to murder Harris or Biden. Because...yeah, he should've.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The second guy was arrested in 2002 for a gun crime, so depending on the strength of the red flag law, he'd definitely be barred from having a gun.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dunno when guillotines are coming back in style, but I know one of them will be tailor made for that twat waffle.

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was never an Elon fanboy, but I liked what he was doing originally, original tesla and spacex were cool. But as time goes on, he just keeps getting worse and worse. I really wonder wtf is going on with him. Wonder if it is as simple as he has no one to tell him no.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I still like Elon. Electric vehicles, orbital satellite communication system with nearly global reach, advancements in rocket tech, etc. those are all fine by me. I don't really care if he mismanages a social media platform I don't use.

18. doomrider7

doomrider7
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The issue is that he stole Tesla from the original founders and owners Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning and Space X would be monumentally better run and more effective with him out of the way as numerous stories confirm.

Pretty much everything Juice listed ranges from okay to great IN SPITE OF him not because. It's not him mismanaging Twitter, it's him mismanaging ALL of them. Twitter is just the most public that we know of due to it being a social media platform that he uses as a propaganda medium(which brings issues of its own).

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I don't know what "multiple stories confirm" is supposed to mean. Multiple stories from alternate universe where he never runs the company? He led financing in Series A and acquired enough equity to run it. That's not stolen. And even then, I'm sure there's some additional corporate fuckery, bur I don't really give a shit. He still built it into a massive company and builds rockets that can (somewhat) return to their launch pad. Cool shit.

Twitter always been an endless scroll of misery and bullshit. It's just a slightly different propaganda medium now that journalists get to cite as a source for clickbait articles instead of doing actual journalism. Personally I would have spent $44B on something else, but hey.