Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So much this. My old biz partner was very anti-vaccine and he was telling me that one of the customers was a doctor and the Doc asked if he was vaxxed. Partner said hell no and Doc asked why not? Partner said he starting asking some "hard hitting questions" and the Doc kind of stammered some BS responses and stopped talking. Biz partner 1, Doc 0.

Or, like my wife's cousin says (who is an actual fucking pathologist) "I don't even waste my time talking to those idiots"

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh yeah, before Covid this crowd consisted of insane "crunchy" types and some nut job religious groups.

And then the right decided to politicize a pandemic and are now by far the biggest group pushing this nonsense.

3. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

During the pandemic, my sister, who works in a hospital, passed along alot of nutbag “insights” from nurses she worked with, most of which were inaccurate and ridiculous.

Nurses are absolutely critical to health care and a good nurse can make all of the difference in a patient’s outcome. But an astonishing number of them are dumb as rocks.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Your middle school history teacher: The Alien and Sedition Acts were the biggest mistake of the Adams Presidency

Trump: Let's roll

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

6. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to work at the student services department of my college years ago, and you WOULD NOT BELIEVE how many nursing students struggled with basic math. Basic everything, really.
    That was the mid-aughts. I can't imagine it's gotten much better, what with the gutting of the education system, shorter attention spans from too much screen-time, etc.

Man, Trump is looking pretty bad. I mean, worse than he usually does. It looks like those amphetamines that he totally doesn't take are catching up to him.

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a biology major, there were many nursing students in my lower level BIO classes. Some really nice people and some smoking hot girls, but in general they weren’t particularly bright.

8. doomrider7

doomrider7
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

9. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do not mean this as a start of a pissing match, but what the hell? The thing came around in an election year and one side basically said no big deal and take horse medicine. The other side forced people into isolation and shut down businesses ruining people’s lives. 4 years later the things still here and everyone can make their own judgments on it but to pretend it was one sided is disingenuous.

10. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sorry, but how the hell is making people take precautions at the beginning of a pandemic that we had no proven treatments for political? It was a health crisis and hospitals were being overwhelmed resulting in people dying from a lot of easily preventable issues because of a lack of space. And every state in the union did it in the beginning regardless of the politicians in charge.

Meanwhile huge swaths on the right showed their ass over even simple precautions like mask wearing and insisted the whole thing was being done to stop Trump from being reelected. Why, the hospitals were actually empty and the whole thing was a hoax! And then the same groups swore that vaccines had chips in them to track them or were actually being given to kill everyone that took them. So the hospitals were once again overwhelmed during the Delta and Omicron waves and more people died who absolutely didn't need to.

11. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess agree to disagree. Businesses were shut down and people lost their livelihood when the end result ended up with us having a worse flu. I am not discounting anyone who has had to deal with it but that is the reality. The wear a mask until you sit at a table at restaurants was political theater. It was likely needed in the first few months but to stretch it for years is absurd

12. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with the mask in restaurants thing being stupid. Once we were a few months into giving out vaccines opening up was fine. But it still pisses me off that a lot of people needlessly died because of some bizarre belief system they bought into. It was and still is insane.

13. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea everybody fucked the thing up by digging in. Like hell man can’t we work together?

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The bigger, long term problem was that these fucktards put such a strain on the hospital systems that core staff burned out and quit and didn't come back. We're still struggling to recover from that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/ is still one of my all time favourite subreddits.

The people who thought it was just a cold, ended up on an intubator, then their better half posting "we lost Frank last night, he just couldn't breathe any more for some strange reason"... fucking hilarious.

For example: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/rj9rui

15. doomrider7

doomrider7
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There was supposed to be billions in aid to help people rebuild and recover, but it "mysteriously" vanished.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I just got my smell back after almost half a decade. I spent over 3 years not being able to walk across my house without having to sit down from exhaustion -- three years my boys didn't have a functional father, three years my wife didn't have a spouse physically able to carry their weight. Three FUCKING years. It got caught in my liver, and I was told in no uncertain terms that had I been so much as hungover, it would have killed me. My oxygen went down to 85%, hospital intubation time, except that was at the same time that the Texas snowstorm was hitting. So I either go to the hospital and make sure I'm fine, or roll the dice with my life and stay on the ranch to make sure my family is fine because Texas' politicians had their heads so far up their asses that our basic infrastructure was breaking.

It was a "worse flu" in the same way that cancer is a "worse genetic disorder"

17. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well yea. People are vicious savage selfish animals.

I do not want to discredit what you went through but this thing is here to stay and I think we needed to accept that sooner than we did. Because we have accepted it.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Firsthand experience here. You are 100% spot on, in a massive way. All of our applications go to my email, where I sort through them and send out the good ones to be called for interviews. I see hundreds of resumes per day. It's almost depressing the number of them coming from the medical field. That's an area where burnout is high anyway, but in doing interviews and asking questions, they aren't shy about explaining their disdain for the number of "google doctors" coming in now.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

We had a window, and we blew it. Because of politics. We don't need to accept shit. My wife is now dealing with some long covid issues from getting it about a month ago. We had our chance to get this crap under control, and now we're all paying the price of a bunch of idiots fucking it up for everyone. The "muh freedoms!!!" argument should stop at my right to protect my own health and safety. No one is above their neighbor, and yet people seem to only care about themselves.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think you are right, but it was only a few months later than we should have, not years. Even Fauci agrees with that... but he said they made the best/safest call they could at the time with the info they had.

We knew it was going to be here for life already... but people were busting their ass to create a vaccine that would eventually make it nothing more than a bad cold or flu. Now, thanks to the vaccines and boosters, it's not even a bad cold or flu... it's a day of feeling like shit.