Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which narrative? Seriously?

2. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The one where leftists and liberals are out to destroy Southern heritage, and threaten the lives of Trump and his voters. There's a lot of "don't tread on us, we're armed" shit, memes and facebook shitposts. Of course you can laugh it off and call me an alarmist, but then there's this

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch...-announces-formation-‘southern-defense-force’

and that little gathering of heavily armed patriots who showed up to defend a statue of Sam Houston. The paranoia is real.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How does a person that asked party affiliation then started shooting at members of the same side as the shooter really fit this narrative? Particularly since we have zero info on anything about it besides he asked party affiliation. It reminds me of when Gabby Giffords got shot, the MSM went ape shit over a single voting map graphic that had bullseyes on congressional opponents as proof right wing rhetoric help cause it. Turns out it was just a dyed in the wool window licker. Trust me it goes both ways and it is gross seeing the people "ah-ha! told you so" reaction every time there is a islamist terrorist attack.

4. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're right, it might have nothing to do with it. Crazy mass shooter just asked the question for no reason at all, then fired his rifle without a care for who he hit.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

You cannot apply logical reasoning to an inherently illogical act.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Moments after a tragedy involving elected US officials, your first thought is to politicize your comments? And people wonder why the actual Congress acts so divisive.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I'll wait for all the facts of the matter to reveal themselves before sharpening my pitchfork.

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How much time do you need? Things are moving fast and we'd best keep up.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It really is sad that it's not even 5 minutes after a story like this breaks before people start talking about how X side is going to use it.

10. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the thing, someone who is willing to do such a thing is mentally ill, they are intrinsically illogical and unhealthy. A shooting like this isn't a political act, it is an act of violence, it is an ambush of, it is a disturbed person who feels they have no other means to make political change then to hurt people.

That is not politics at work, it is our healthcare system failing.

It we state that domestic violence is an acceptable act, and that it succeeds at changing politics, then our country really is fucked because violence perpetuates violence.

You're saying the shooter is a crazy leftist, what about the kid who went into the church and murdered a congregation. He was far right. Its not a left or right issue.

#3171 toddamus, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  12. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So what exactly are you thinking? It sounds like you're saying that this shooting today is by a far-right wacko in order to blame it on the far-left wackos. Is that what you're actually saying? I just want to know, because as a reader of this thread, I don't like reading vague implications. I like to know precisely what the point is so I can make informed decisions on my own evolving opinions.

13. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Given how passionate people can be about their politics and their religion, I don't believe these to be mutually exclusive.

14. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like I said, that he asked the question, then shot up the field, fits the emerging narrative of lefty antifa turning violent against "true patriotic Americans". Crazy or not, it shows deliberate intent and enough presence to distinguish one target from another.

15. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So are you saying that you think this was a far-left wacko?

Or are you saying that you think the quote about the shooter asking the question to distinguish the target was a lie?

16. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly? Today I wouldn't put even the vilest of lies past these elected officials. Anything to score a point.

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So you think it's a random shooting and the statement about "Republicans or Democrats" is a lie. Okay, that's all I wanted to know.

18. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You really like your absolutes, don't you? I dunno why you'd need US to help you form an opinion, you can Google the same facts on your own.

19. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lets stop politicizing ambush style mass shootings. There is nothing political about these events, they are always tragedies. Let the mass media drum up ratings by covering these events as much as possible. However, I think we can do better here, or at least try.

20. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Am I the only one who saw this coming?

With the rage and rhetoric ramped this high, and no room for backing down...what did we expect? This is literally the recipe for extremism and we can write it off to crazy, but we set the scene for this reaction.

Let me put it another way: do you think there aren't millions of disenfranchised people out there, recipients of a broken social contract, that dont consider martyrdom an option?

We have spent decades worrying about Muslims of every banner, but a far more realistic threat is the guy next door that realizes the only way to make his point is through his rifle.

Whoever this guy was affiliated with, it doesn't matter (I'm calling red, though).

The right's dog whistling and distraction issues and the left using bullshit identity politics, the result is literally everyone on the spectrum is feeling directly threatened at a deep, important level. In a country as batshit crazy, armed and built on a history of violence, it's no surprise that people respond to those threats and I would be shocked if this was an isolated incident this summer.

#3180 downndirty, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017