Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The suspected shooters facebook is still up. I'll let you guys look for it, but its there currently.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yep, still up. And its turning into a complete dumpster fire. I appreciate you not linking to it here and no one else should either.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can't just post it

4. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Its really easy to find, seriously. But like Juice said, the trolls are out in force on that page and will be shutdown soon I imagine.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Heres a little taste.

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 11.16.08 AM.png

6. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep if you want to see the worst most extreme views this country has within it, thats the place to go watch and see those views be expressed.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That should be interesting... seeing as Facebook is one of the least private networks out there that knows the most about who you actually are, and where you are at all times. I can imagine a few people getting a knock on the door by a 3-letter-agency and asking them to explain some of their posts...

That being said, I don't buy into the online crap that gets thrown onto the virtual wall... the vast majority of people crank the gain knob way past 11 when they post, and tend to assume an online persona that doesn't truly reflect their real-life character. Sure, a few will be pretty close, and the overall sentiment they are expressing will be similar, but the vitriolic back and forth is something that you very rarely see in real life.

So yeah, long story short, I read that shit through retard-coloured glasses and it doesn't seem so bad.

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The problem is that it's becoming less about e-thuggery and more about people grabbing their guns and leaving home. It's really only a matter of time before the next nazi-antifa clash results in somebody being shot dead.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's just crazy hyperbole on your part.

Millions and millions of people are talking about shit online in that manner, but statistically speaking, NOBODY is shooting people up. The news is focusing on it and blowing it way up out of proportion so it seems like this is some natural evolution of what is happening, but it's not.

It's just scare tactics and stupid people buying into it.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Update: Shooter just died.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Wow.....drag.

CNN keeps saying how nobody is sure if this is "politically motivated". Really? Because I'm entirely sure it was. I guess it's possible that it was baseball-motivated.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For the moment at least there really is no singular binding doctrine like the Islamic terrorist have and martyrdom doesn't have the same weight culturally in the west as it does for islam. Pragmatically you need to put resources to watching both, I'd still give islamic extremist the greater focus at this point in time.

I don't have an answer to your over all point though, which I agree with, we've spun so far into negativity in the political realm I don't see a way out of it. Ive come to see any compromise in politics simply as a function of the polar extremes of each party controlling the discourse and legislation falling into the middle without actual agreement. Changing the entrenched power structures to allow for true compromising moderates seems impossible at the moment.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We will see more of this kind of thing.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Reports are now that the shooter is dead.

Sadly, the biggest damage from this won't be covered: the psychological damage on those who were attacked and witnessed the attack, such as the congressman who told the shooter that the softball players were republicans which lead to the shooting. Hearing a Rand Paul interview from earlier, I feel really bad for the guy in the upcoming weeks and months and years.

It is important to remember that while we may disagree with these people on their politics, they are still people, who still serve us, and they still deserve our respect. That gunshot might directly impact only one person, but it affects his entire family and loved ones.

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only difference between domestic terrorism and Islamic terrorism is that domestic terrorists haven't organized since David Koresh. Islamic terrorists at least attempt and feign organization.

Again, the real threat to the average American is the guy next door losing his shit and using his deer rifle to make a statement. The real threat to American hegemony rests with the balance of power in oil and economic interests that Isis (and their like) can potentially upset. We have spent trillions on making Islamic terrorism as losing game, but domestic terrorism of this ilk show no signs of dissipating.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Guaran-fucking-teed. This is just going to stoke the simmering fire in nutbags.

17. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really, really hope you're right. Just know that one side has already demonstrated they will come out armed and ready, and that was over a statue that nobody was taking down anyway.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think that's the big problem right now.

They are people, but they appear to be serving themselves, not the people, and the people are getting frustrated about it.

I tend to think that the frustration that people are experiencing is leading them to believe that some of the "crazies" will start to shoot up the place as a response, and who knows, that may be the case. But it's not inevitable, it's not a certainty, it's just a somewhat believable outcome.

But it's also important to remember that the political crazies shooting politicians is nothing new.

Take a look at this list of political assassinations and tell me how many have happened since Trump was elected?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assassinated_American_politicians

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Terrorism is act, not a nebulous thing. Terrorism is terrorism regardless of who uses it. The motivations are the variable factor.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do think it is an inevitable outcome but like you say, the numbers are way too low and the media will blow it out of proportion. The long standing fueding has only gotten worse and people are exposed it in greater fashion than anytime. I think it can lead to a bigger number of that small fraction going off.