Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I disagree. It is bad, in and of itself.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Paul Ryan announced he is not seeking reelection.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also he's hitting the twitter hard this morning:

So first: those are in chronological order, so he bemoaned the state of relations with Russia (clearly Dems fault) immediately after threatening them with missile strikes, and second: he just casually admits to obstructing justice but it's ok because they're not being fair to him.

4. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With all of these republicans vacating, I can't help think of this clip from The Young Ones:

"Democrats! Your bedroom's on fire!"

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

11472A09-3C1B-4D49-AD63-C0EA8F216648.jpeg

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So... the dude is 48, Speaker of the House, in a fully Republican-controlled government... and he's calling it quits?

What am I missing?

Something doesn't add up.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He got word that water has filled five compartments. She can stay afloat with the first four compartments breached but not five.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not everybody in congress is power hungry and sets aside their values to get more power. He never wanted the Speaker job and was drafted in to it. He did have ideals about policy, and he may just simply be exhausted and think stepping aside is better for his family. He can always take time away, come back and run for Governor, then President. Then, he can go back to trying to serve in the way he wants, rather than babysit and manage. Plus, he can distance himself from the stink that is Trump and some of the current Republican idiots.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That makes sense. Thanks.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, the fact that there’s a good chance he doesn’t win the election in November. This allows him to leave semi gracefully instead of suffering a humiliating defeat. It’s the same reason like 40 other GOP’ers are calling it quits after this cycle.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Do you think that many people quitting will create a negative vaccuum? Because I do.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Negative, like, the people will get shitty options for candidates, like the last Presidential election?

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Exactly. I’m insinuating that the void from this mass exodus will be filled by J. Crew alt-right supertwats. Not business-minded like Conservatives should be, just greed and fame-minded.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

So what happens if Trump does go through with it and fire Rosenstein? Does Mueller have to pause his investigation while that void is filled? What if the next person in charge tries to limit the scope of the investigation, or fire Mueller, is everything in the investigation preserved? Is there a way for the investigation to still continue if Mueller gets fired?

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Rosenstein is fired, then authority over the investigation falls to the next in line until Rosenstein's replacement is in place. If Trump's goal is to take a blunt hammer to the Mueller probe, then he will fire his way down the line of succession until he finds someone willing to fire Mueller and deep six the investigation. If he's a bit more crafty, he will appoint someone to replace Rosenstein as quickly as possible who will then slow-walk the investigation. Refuse to sign off on warrants and subpoenas, choke the budget, etc. Essentially grind the investigation to a halt without firing Mueller or formally disbanding it.

16. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

His most patriotic act as a career crim.....politician.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So now it’s being reported that the Cohen raid warrant was focused mainly on talks between the two about the access Hollywood tape? Wut? I’m wondering what law they think they broke here. I guess they talked about suppressing the tape somehow? Apparently there talks or any actions taken didn’t keep the tape out of the public. But I’m curious as to the statutory angle they are applying?

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I believe this might have more to do with the hacked DNC emails than the pussy grabbing stuff. The Podesta emails were released within an hour of the Access Hollywood tape. If Cohen had much to do with trying to suppress the tape release by countering it with the hacked emails, that could show investigators that the campaign had knowledge of and possibly participated, either financially or otherwise in obtaining those emails.

I believe it has been reported that the hacker of those emails is Russian intelligence. Guccifer something or other. That’s a very illegal connection.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So Andrew Wheeler's confirmation vote is coming up for the #2 (soon to be #1) slot at the EPA. Dude is an energy lobbyist whose clients include the biggest coal mining company in the nation, and was an aide to Jim 'Snowball' Inhofe. Is it too much to ask that Republicans at least conduct themselves as live-action villains instead of cartoon villains they seem to be aiming for?

20. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why bother, when they expect to be voted out anyway?