Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's not a one or the other kind of thing... it's a proportional reaction to all the things.

People and the media get a cause-de-jour that gets blown up way out of proportion to the actual problem it poses, which is probably not the best approach to fixing society as a whole.

Especially around emotional subjects like gun control.

If someone is going to get all bent out of shape over school shootings and tell me that it's the most important thing that has to be addressed and I'm the Devil if I don't agree with them, then I will disagree and provide stats as to why teaching people how to not stand under trees in thunderstorms is more effective at saving lives.

Is it a problem? Maybe, at some level. Is it a problem that I have to worry about in my daily life? Fuck no.

2. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, it’s the gun nuts MO. Also, require a 100% fool proof resolution or shut out all proposals.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Once Hogg and co stop proposing things that are 100% ineffective we can talk.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

It's not Hogg, it's the people and media who are encouraging him. When I was that age, I'd kill (pun intended) for the ability to do something that I felt was important and for a good cause and to get national attention for it. I can't really direct any dislike toward him as an individual, because it's his right to have an opinion whether I agree with it or not. As misguided as he might be, at least he's doing something, not just saying "sending thoughts and prayers." But the people who are encouraging him, are enabling him, the people who are giving him the platform to act in objectively ineffectual ways, those are the ones I have an issue with.

For example, a few days ago Hogg was involved in a protest at a Publix (a supermarket) that backfired spectacularly. Basically he -- and those behind him -- had issue with Publix donating to the NRA. So they staged a "die in." As a result of the publicity, Publix decided to stop ALL political donations, including money that goes to otherwise good causes. NRA memberships have also been increasing since Florida

People aren't cool with there being a middle ground. They want to find a hill and plant their stake in it and say "this is me, this is what I stand for and fuck you if you don't agree." That's what Hogg et. al. are doing, but it's also what Trump and the NRA and anyone who is involved with these extreme politics is doing now. And it works, at least in the sense that it gets a bunch of media attention.

But it doesn't solve anything.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry he’s just an easy target. I totally understand why he and his peers reacted in the fashion they did after being witness to a massacre. The one sided methods pushed by their handlers is what really disappoints me. An assault weapons ban they are pushing for isn’t some 90% solution, it’s next to zero and only really a main platform of gun control advocates because it’s become symbolic in their campaigning.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Just when I thought he couldn’t be more of a fuckwad, now Trump is implementing steel Tarifs in Canada, Mexico and Europe. So you can look forward to the prices being driven up on shitty U.S. Steel while keeping better imported product out because your Presedient doesn’t know jackshit about steel, trade, or pretty much anything. He’s turned the country’s into a joke.

Stable genius:
    79089E8E-E959-493F-BCEB-DE0C4670E3CE.jpeg

7. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don’t forget today’s pardons and commutations of Blagojevich, Dinesh Desouza, and Martha Stewart.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There’s no defence for him anymore, none. The cocksucker needs to drop dead and stay dead.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Technically Desouza was the only one pardoned; the other two were merely floated. He'll probably do it though; aside from the pardon requested by Stallone, all of his pardons have been for crimes he himself is guilty of, and Blago and Stewart (lying to investigators) match that pattern.

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Early numbers are guestimating about 150,000 US jobs impacted by that.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Canada has announced retaliatory tariffs, as well as filing formal complaints with NAFTA and the WTO.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Interesting postulation I just read was that maybe there's some major Trump shit coming down the pipe in the next day or two so they're intentionally creating chaos as a diversionary tactic.

Or, you know, it's just Thursday.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Let’s see how fucked he and his retarded followers will feel if Canada puts tariffs lumber and oil.

He really doesn’t even grasp the concept of “America’s biggest trading partner”. A partnership HIS country gets a big surplus from. He really is that fucking stupid.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Creating substantial distractions to dominate the news cycle has been his MO this whole time. Placing tariffs on our closest neighbors and dangling pardons to indicate future favors for keeping one’s mouth shut seems fitting. There are no coincidences this high up in the world.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

natrual gas, water, electricity...

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... how about Ontario puts a 200% tariff on hydro going to the US. Just that would fuck them up big time.

As it is it seems that Canada has already retaliated with tariffs, and the UK is not far behind.

20. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ehhhhh. I don’t know about that. I’d be careful about saying anything that Alex Jones also might say.

Here is an opposing viewpoint with a tremendous quote.

[​IMG]