Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

There is no more self-congratulatory industry, except maybe entertainment. Its like that statement put out by the New York Times after Trump was elected rededicating itself to honest journalism. As opposed to... what? What were they doing before that?

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What evidence do you have of this? I don’t know if he has evidence or not. I plan to wait until we know the results of the investigation, then I can make that assertion.

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know. I'm just saying I find it really unlikely that Mueller finds collusion between Trump and Putin and then just sits, and sits, and sits on it. How likely do you think that is?

Yeah, it's one thing to suck, but to constantly pat yourself on the back and talk about what a great job you're doing just brings it to a whole other level of annoying.

4. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t know. I’m not the one conducting the investigation. Maybe he did. Maybe he didn’t. I bet we find out when the investigation is over.

5. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wish the news would separate the editorial content from the news. I don’t want opinions. Just tell me what is happening.

It’s a lot easier to decree fake news when you have extreme editorial content posted under the same banner.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

7. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Well, with all due respect to the media and how crappy they are. When they do real journalism and long form stories and strong investigative journalism, the American public doesn't give a shit. There is a reason Fox News has the highest ratings and no one is watching the BBC. The Atlantic doesn't exactly have the highest subscription base when everyone is reading Buzzfeed quizzes. So is it the media's fault or is the media giving the public what we want. I am Canadian so we don't have this media effect to the same extent in the US. We have a government funded news source (the CBC) and it is boring basic journalism and is fairly objective.

8. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure the public shares the blame in the content but the media can't have it both ways as purveyors of partisan hack bullshittery and claim to be the above reproach leaders of the mythical fourth estate.

10. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Fair enough. And I went to slate.com which I know is obviously left-leaning. The main story is talking about the ways Democrats can counter Trump's racism! and on the left in small print is the story of 12 being murdered in a country bar.
    You are right, the news is always politics, all the time. And whatever one may think of Trump, he has found a way to manipulate it so no matter what, the news is always talking about him either directly or indirectly.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You literally know nothing about the investigation, so how can you draw this conclusion?

You also seem to just continually gloss over the guilty pleas, indictments, jail time, etc, of Russians and a bunch of Trump's closest confidants from his campaign.

That is most assuredly something, despite how much you may want to keep your head in the sand.

12. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a huge problem with this sentiment. The point of a free and open press is to provide a check on power on public and private entities. I fucking hate Fox News but I don't think banning Fox News reporters from a press pool is something that should ever happen. Once one journalist gets banned from the press pool, what's going to stop whole news organizations from getting banned because they report things that make the government look bad? If other news organizations see CNN gets banned, what's going to stop the government from threatening them to prevent bad stories from coming out? At that point, the government has effectively silenced the press and can control the narrative however they want.

Fuck that. The government should be afraid of its people, not the other way around. It's bad enough that government officials are already calling news reports fake and eroding public trust in the press. Letting the government remove journalists because it's your political affiliation in power sets a dangerous precedent. You can't bitch about it when the other party comes into power and starts stifling the hard questions they don't want to answer. Worse yet, you won't even know it's happening because people will be afraid to report it.

13. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We are fucked as a country. It's not just that Trump plays with the media. It's that Trump plays people who dislike the media.

You can dislike Jim Acosta or what he does and think his credentials should be revoked for xy or z. But if you think it's fine that the White House lies about him putting his hands on and essentially physically assaulting a young female intern and supports that lie with a doctored Infowars video, as a reason for revoking his credentials then you're being dumb.

And even if you don't think it's fine the White House did that, but don't really care because you think Jim Acosta stinks, you're still being dumb because giving the White House even tacit approval for this horseshit takes us one step further down a dark road.

A high level public official whose role is to inform the public is blatantly lying for political reasons. Our response should be to demand Sarah sanders resignation, not shrugging and saying "well CNN does indeed suck."

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

To the outside world, your White House press conferences are damn close to this:

[​IMG]

And I'm not even kidding.

I check in occasionally just to see what bullshit is going to be spewed or lies are going to be told... and I'm never surprised.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Heres what actually happened for anyone that saw the full video. Acosta was making more of a grandstanding statement than asking a question, which he does quite frequently. Trump went to the next person. Acosta would not shut up. Trump again tried to go the next person. He would not shut up. The staffer went over to grab the microphone. He pulled it away from her. Thats pretty inappropriate behavior for a member of the press pool, but its not at all the assault Sarah Sanders claimed it was. Press members are guests of the White House and are expected to follow the rules set forth, they do not have a right to be there. Its not a public square. So it was stupid behavior by Jim Acosta and idiotic reasoning by the White House to revoke his pass, when they had a fairly legitimate one.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a Senate year where Democrats look like they will lose four seats (pending the final counts in Florida, Arizona, and the Mississippi runoff), they received 12.5 million more votes than the Republicans did. Even if you hand every single one of Kevin DeLeon's votes to the Republicans (which is stupid because California hates Republicans and that's why he came in second in the primary in the first place), Democrats still had a margin of 6.8 million votes. I am familiar with every argument made as to why the Senate is structured the way it is, but the fact remains that in the 21st century it is a broken institution. Permanent minority rule does not serve the interests of the country, and will not end well for any of us.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ow yee with short memory. Less than a decade ago the democrats had a 60 seat majority. It's as if there were two chambers created one to represent the people, one to ostensibly represent the state governments, to help mitigate tyranny of majorities and minorities. I know I know, slavery, slavery, gerrymandering, redistricting, fucking white men and so on and so on.

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gonna have to agree with Kubla on this one. The Senate is a check on the mob. Your own statistics bear that out. Dems outvoted Republicans. They have the House now. They don't have the Senate because Democrat messaging hasn't been nearly as effective as Republican. If Democrats want Senate seats, they need to do a better job of messaging in red states.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Since the Great Depression the modern Democratic Party has been the majority in both houses (with much higher majorities) for a vast majority of the past 80 years. Yet somehow the Republican are the boogymen of the voting apparatus in this country...

20. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not only that, they need to do a much better job in rural areas. Right now Ohio is a Republican controlled state, it wasn't that long ago that it was a very purple state. Democrats have done a terrible job here speaking to the issues that matter to rural people. Despite what many liberals think rural people have more political concerns than guns and racism.