Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

FTFY

2. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not like people think it was a totally fine thing to do, but it was 35 fucking years ago. And it's not like this guy was actively hurting anyone, he just did something stupid and immature.

Most important for me though is that I think everyone realizes this isn't something he would do today, or would have likely done in the last 15-25 years so it begs the question... what the fuck is the point of this then? If this was far more recent or there was a direct victim then I could understand it, but going after someone for something that old that they've long since known is wrong? What is that supposed to accomplish?

It really reaffirms my belief that a lot of these people who jump in on these mob attacks are pieces of shit. They like seeing someone ruined because they like seeing someone ruined. They're not calling for his head to solve anything because it won't.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole point is that they have to hold themselves to the same standard they do all the other people they constantly attack for anything they have done in their entire lives. If they don’t thoroughly destroy this guy’s career, it will make the whole movement transparently phony(which I think it is).

The point of the movement is “fuck you forever.” And “there is no apology sufficient enough until you go out the same way as Gaddafi.”

The democrats and many of their supporters main thing is to point out the racism and sexism of the other side. Constantly. Fine. But you can’t cover it up when it’s your side.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which is part of what makes it such a farce, and I'm going to say this - maybe I'll give the tiniest little shit about something like this when the entire left wing media doesn't use "uneducated white males" as a perjorative for two years straight, and doesn't regularly hire and have on racist and sexist idiots. If they want to do that shit fine, but to turn around and bitch like this about something 35 years old when they're spreading stereotypes and other nonsense daily isn't something I can take seriously. The idea that these people are working towards resolving racial tension is laughable.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I get it and it certainly isn’t tantamount to committing an actual hate crime. But along the offense-outrage spectrum, there is a point where there are offensive actions that warrant legitimate outrage and a legitimate public backlash. While SJW and the outrage culture are histrionic idiots, it’s still important to highlight when things are not okay to accept on the other side. This is one of them.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was 18 and graduating high school. For context, there were maybe 20 black kids in a school of 1400, and when we moved there in ‘78 we had a KKK flier in our mailbox one morning.

Despite those things, No way would black face and klan costumes fly where I grew up, never mind be normal. Oh of course there were racists there then and there are racists there now. But Anyone who pulled that shit would have gotten the crap kicked out of them.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be clear I do agree that it's a pretty shitty thing to do. I'm not trying to argue that it's just a joke. All I'm saying is that for me to be really angry at someone 35 years after the fact they have to do something really fucked up. More so than doing something in bad taste, even if it's really bad taste like this. Then, even if it is something that really pisses me off, to actually have them punished 35 years down the road I think there needs to have been a tangible victim. Something more tangible than 'he was ableist' at least.
    By all means he deserved an ass kicking... in 1984. In 2019 you're just beating a horse that doesn't exist anymore.
    I get that people have different lines, and I'm not trying to pretend mine is any less arbitrary. Still, the point of going all in to ruin this guy in 2019 is... what exactly? The closest I can think of is revenge and in the circumstances that doesn't seem like a good enough reason.

8. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People found out he was a piece of shit racist and now they are treating him like one. What’s so hard to understand? Had they figured it out sooner they would have treated him like thid earlier.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Again though, you're talking about it like it happened last week. It didn't. Maybe they didn't figure it out earlier because people change over the course of half a lifetime.

Fuck, if MLK could forgive real klansmen I would like to think people could forgive something like this. I guess not though.

At least this guy actually did something shitty, which is more than I can say for people like Megyn Kelly.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    The funny thing is that if he murdered a cop in 1985 and showed an ability to write, people would be screeching to let him out of prison because he was just a dumb kid back then or something. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Hell, if he'd raped and murdered some innocent person 35 years ago chances are he'd be out by now.

But, God damn you to hell if you've ever done anything racist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic or anything that goes against the SJW narrative, that is unforgivable.

Their whole narrative is so full of hypocrisy and bullshit.

11. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you understand the difference between holding public office and going to prison?

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Do you understand the difference 35 years make?

What were you doing 35 years ago? 30 years ago? I'm guessing you were shitting in your diapers. Have you changed over that time? Or should we forever refer to you as a pants shitter?

People change over time and labeling someone as something over their actions years and years ago is stupid. The guy wasn't Heil Hitlering, passing out KKK flyers, attending a lynching, firebombing a black business, or anything like that. He may or may not have dressed in blackface or a KKK get up (He's now denying it was him) in what appears to be a joking fashion. That was somewhat normal back then...yes, it would cause people to roll their eyes, but it was not unforgivable. It was just written off as folks being dumb asses. Now it's easier to forgive a rapist/murderer then it is to forgive someone for their stupid shit from years ago.

13. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He knew what was in his yearbook 35 years ago why did he let it slide if it wasn't him?

At what point did he realize that he was wrong and why didn't he address it then?

If say 20 years ago when he was getting into the public life, no clue if that was when it happened, why didn't he make it part of how he was now a different and better man?

Reformed Klansmen and reformed Neo Nazis get a pass from the public because their current actions show that they are reformed. That they have decided that they did not want to be the terrible people that they were and that they are going to act better and be better.

They don't wait around for 35 years so people like you can rush to their defense and say in 1983 that shit was normal back then so it gets a pass today.

That shit wasn't normal in 83, they were watching Return of the Jedi, Scarface or Flashdance and they absolutely that running around in blackface or Klan gear wasn't cool.

And in 83 I was shitting in my diapers but if I was still shitting in diapers when I finished High School in 2001 and it was mentioned in the yearbook on the two page spread about me then yes I would forever be referred to as a pants shitter.

14. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Am I reading this right that your moral compass is so out of whack you think he's worse than actual klansmen and neonazis?

15. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No you are reading it completely wrong.

I'm saying that people can redeem themselves from past actions.

They just don't get to hide things under a rock and then hope enough time goes by so that people will start defending them because "it was a long time ago" and "things were different back then" and "not to be a racist but the statute of limitations should apply in these cases too because...."

Had he addressed this a long time ago and shown through his actions that he has grown and changed then I would have given him a pass.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think those questions are still valid, and this video below is definitely slanted towards the side of the Covington kids. But, watch it if you're interested in seeing another version of what went on that day. Getting some of the other facts and different video tones down the punchable face a bit, to me. It doesn't appear Mr. Phillips or the other Native American demonstrators on video here were trying to quell conflict to me.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t think he was trying get a pass because times were different then people have defended him in that fashion (as it is part of the conversation). He’s certainly given lip service to grow and move forward now. Don’t know why you wouldn’t give him the same benefit of doubt going forward given over literal cross burning bigots.

In any case this guy just might have beaten the news cycle. If he keeps his mouth shut until Trump says something outrageous, any second now, he can lay low, repent to some black groups in the state and move on.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This works. Everyone remember Gary Condit? Everyone thought he had the Levy girl killed back in 2001. He kicked back, bided his time and then 9/11 happened, and it was all good. For him. Because nobody gave a shit about anything else for the next decade.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't believe someone wouldn't get why people don't bring up every bad thing they've ever done during their campaign. That is why they have opponents, you know?

I'm kind of curious too if anyone is chasing down the people who wore Hitler costumes for halloween in the 2000s. Hell, it's more recent than 1984 and Hitler has the klansmen beat in the body count score. Shouldn't these people get the justice they deserve? Like being burned alive or something reasonable like that?

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That would be the British Royal Family. Who wore them, not tracked them.