Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Every Two Years: 2012 Olympic Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Jul 12, 2012.

1. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow is he dumb, you can tell in those clips that there's not much going on behind the eyes. So the grill occurred because his is literally stupid. At least Phelps is just a bit awkward, Lochte is different animal.

I thought speed walking was the dumbest olympic sport, and its still in the top 2, but we have a new favorite, handball. It looks like it should be an intramural sport definitely not olympic. I hate how they can only shoot beyond an arc, I hate how they can't go inside the arc, I hate how the sport is so simple Lochte could understand it and I hate how the goalies have no chance. Its insane someone thought this was as worthy a sport as basketball or curling.

2. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have it by reliable sources, meaning the internet in that I googled Michael Phelps endorsement deals, that his total of endorsements is in the area of 40 million dollars, with an estimated 100 million over his lifetime. So lolwut, I could sure use 40 - 100 million dollars, couldn't you?

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, athlete agents are great sources of truth. They never, ever inflate their athletes wealth. The best part about my point is that I can flip it and go with what Jwags said. Doesn't matter what the guy does personality wise, as long as he doesn't kick a dog, slap a woman, or burn the American flag he's still going to get paid.

4. subgeniuschick

subgeniuschick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Good God. How did they ever train him not to try and breathe underwater?

I have to admit, I've never seen him in an interview before and clearly this video is not made to show him in the best light - but fuck. 7 x 4 = 21? Okay then, you better swim your little heart out there buddy.

#244 subgeniuschick, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Negged.

Handball is a combination of hockey and basketball and faster paced than both. It's an awesome sport to watch.

6. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I take back what I said about him. There's a very strong chance he has his name on the bottom of his shoes simply so he can remember his name. I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps a piece of paper in his wallet with directions to his house drawn in crayon.

#246 lhprop1, Aug 2, 2012
  7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A dumb athlete? NO WAY! THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A DUMB ATHELTE BEFORE! Because they're training, not reading books. This is a new thing? I guess you guys don't watch the NBA or NFL much? That video isn't funny, as it is just awkward. I have a nagging feeling it was put together by some angry little nerd that never got attention, and wants to throw Lochte under the bus to make himself feel superior.

Adam Carolla talks about this all the time, he even tosses in actors and singers. Just because they have a great talent at one thing, people automatically start equating all these other good qualities to them that aren't there. Intelligence is usually the first one, and the most incorrectly applied.

8. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Parker obviously has a hard on for Ryan Lochte. He's so dreamy with his strong shoulders and flat abs.

9. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's just upset that Ballsack called him a dick wrinkle.

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or is really bored at work and feels like being contrarian because Kimmy is too focused on ping pong.

Also, I only have eyes for Tom Brady. Heart too.

11. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let's give the guy credit for being one of the very best in the world. At swimming.

Let's also give the guy credit for being a near-retarded douchebag.

Everybody happy now?

12. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're implying that he can read.

13. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Guys, he graduated from the University of Florida. Athletes are held to the same academic standards...whoops.

14. Nicole

Nicole
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wow, just watched the video. Maybe I'm living in a drug-free ivory tower, but could that be the result of not just dumb, but lots of smoking out during the off season?

#254 Nicole, Aug 2, 2012
  15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I agree. Who gives a fuck if an athlete is dumb or not? We watch them compete because they perform their sport at the highest level, not because they have pearls of wisdom to dispense.

And believe it or not, many guys in the NFL and NBA are every bit as stupid as Lochte.

Ping Pong was fun. Ovtcharov and Chuang both gave competitive matches to Zhang Jike and Wang Hao, respectively, but both ultimately lost in 5 sets each.

Ovtcharov and Chuang then had a grueling, intense battle for the bronze medal that Ovtcharov finally won by the skin of his teeth. Meanwhile, Zhang Jike, the world champion and #1, continued his domination of Wang Hao by beating him in 5 sets, although it was an incredible and close match throughout.

The thing is, with only 2 representatives per nation, the semifinals were the same caliber of the quarterfinals or even round of 16 of a World Championships, World Cup, or Pro Tour Grand Finals. It just dilutes everything.

Now that the main part of table tennis is over, I'm looking forward to the men's judo heavyweight competition. I will be rooting for Teddy Riner, a 23 year-old, 6' 8", 290-pound black dude from France who is already 5-time world champion to continue his domination of the sport.

#255 KIMaster, Aug 2, 2012
  16. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Just saw a facebook conversation from somebody who went to high school with him that seems to support that theory.

Parker, you realize that the reason people are giving you shit is that you seem to be a fan of his most obnoxious qualities right?

17. Nicole

Nicole
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Interesting question...why am a little surprised this guy seems to have room temperature IQ? To start, having great talent is just one factor that makes up a world class athlete. They also need discipline, dedication, etc etc. They'd need to have some head for race strategy, some ability on their own to analyze and apply all the input (on performance, nutrition, recovery, injury management) they get from various coaches, teammates, sponsors. I would think. I'm just talking about of my ass, clearly.

So the other qualities I'd expect a worldclass athlete to have, in order to be successful and not just some highly talented but not successful athlete, those are the qualities I also associate with intelligence. Therein lies my surprise that this guy has a bad case of dumb.

One other half ass theory...having grown up somewhere where intelligence is NOT held in high esteem, maybe the laidback dummy thing is just a schtick.

18. subgeniuschick

subgeniuschick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Speaking of terrible commentating (we were weren't we?) ...

... I watched the show jumping Tuesday night and got to hear that titwitch Nancy Wetmore say this: "If you can't beat them, then you just buy that horse".

I don't just debate Equestrian events every single Summer Olympics on message boards - I get called out daily during the summer games (usually by people whose heart would likely explode if they were made to do a posting trot for twenty minutes), so this really ticked me off.

Way to be a spokesperson for your sport you cranky old tit.

Putting aside the fact that I clearly wish to punch this woman in the face - does anyone else have any choice comments that irritated the hell out of them that they'd like to share while we're lulling?

If no one is into that, then may I suggest a 2012 Olympic Mug Shot Review? There's some fun there. We (Canada) have our own Klingon!

Just please, no more Ryan Lochte unless he wins another medal or he's tied up in my bedroom w/ tape over his mouth ... and I have a feather, a waterbed and baby oil ... oh wait ... that's another thread.

19. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you have a good coach and simply follow his directions, there is no requirement for intelligence, especially when it comes to training, nutrition, etc.

As someone who swam competitively in high school, I can also state that there isn't much "race strategy". You practice a lot, get your pacing and turns down right, listen to your coach, and that's it. Higher level brain function never factors in at any point. It's just a lot of mechanical repetition and making sure you don't tire out too quickly.

20. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

The Olympics are kind of interesting, because in some events they're clearly the preeminent competition (maybe track?), but in others, they're not (soccer, table tennis).

Maybe that's not very interesting.

This post sucked.