Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Friday Sober Thread: The George Zimmerman Trial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iczorro, Jul 12, 2013.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Re: 7/12/13 Weekend Drunk Thread

Then the verdict will be that every man alive should be kicked in the balls by a horse.

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is why my Dad says a woman will never be elected president.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

They're liable to explode and get glitter all over the place.

4. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Can somebody legal explain something to me?

I just read that the defense said, in their closing arguments, that the burden of proof was on the state. Is it actually, in self-defense trials? I always assumed that if you were proven to have killed somebody, and used a self-defense defense, you needed to affirmatively prove that it was necessary.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The burden of proof is always on the state, which is why you're "innocent until proven guilty." The self defense aspect is just woven into it.

6. todd311

todd311
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Great read for anyone interested

That article perfectly summarizes why I logically believe (emotions would say a different result) that Zimmerman will and should be a free man in a one of the easiest high profile cases to "solve" in the history of ever.

The author of the article was really stretching it at the end though.

Ok, boobs:

[​IMG]

8. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Wait, I can't tell if you're kidding.

You do know that this article is actually a terrible read, right? Like, it's so clearly biased that I'm not convinced it isn't satirical.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Well some of it he kinda mocks the prosecution's lack of anything actually substantive (as he should). Like this:
    That may be where you got the joking vibe. The only issue I have with the article is the end, which is clearly fear-mongering about riots and stuff.

10. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Yes, I can see a nice pair of breasts and think, "those are nice breasts."

And then be attracted to them.

That question was weird.

No, I got the joking vibe from the whole thing. This is so far from reasoned, dispassionate analysis that I'm surprised you brought it up.

He clearly has an agenda to paint Zimmerman as nothing more than a conscientous Good Samaritan who was doing the right thing when he got beaten up by a strong young man. I don't know how you could read this:

as a summary of the incident and think that there isn't massive bias in play.

Come on.

A not-so-kind term that I'm going to repeat.

Within 500 words...

Like, do I really need to go on?

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I'm with Nom on that article, it was horribly slanted.

I don't know enough about the case to actually have an opinion either way, all I know is once again the media is stirring the pot for who knows why. This should not be national news.

But just in case my 4x4 is full of gas and all my guns are loaded and in easy reach. I even have one on the toilet tank lest the rioters catch me mid poop.

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Martin was beating the hell out of Zimmerman. That's been established ad nauseum. However, winning a fight is a far cry from putting a bullet in someone. None of us were there; we didn't see this go down, but reading the evidence I just don't believe that either of them would be dead if he hadn't pulled out his gun. I also find it hard to believe that Zimmerman was just doing his civic duty and Martin went mongrel on him, which as Nom pointed out is the convenient explanation in that article.

To me it looks like Zimmerman accosted a kid for essentially no reason, got talked back to and decided he wanted to teach this young punk a lesson. Then after it escalated he panicked and shot him to death. There isn't a law that defines that scenario. The stand your ground law is written under the pretense the deceased was instigating a crime.

13. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love that the narrative has gone from "should he be found guilty," and "are 'stand your ground' laws bullshit?" along with "maybe we should discuss how racism still exists in 2013" and has turned into 'HOLY FUCKING SHIT EITHER WAY THE WORLD IS ENDING IN A RACE RIOT!"

Any way to make it scarier and attract move viewers, right?

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There you go. I've been involved in fights, seen countless fights. Sometimes the other guy will get the upper hand on you, but never once should you think "I'm losing, time to put a hole in a motherfucker". 99% of fights if the guy goes limp or down hard on his back, it ends. Some assholes stomp people while they're out cold, but I would bet cold hard cash Zimmerman's life was not in danger. This 17-year-old was going to beat him to death? Bullshit. It's all bullshit. It's his fault this kid is dead and the reason why he might skate is that he's a pussy and didn't want to lose.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

No, you don't. Because you're not going to see this the way that I do, and I'm not going to see it the way you do.

The way I see it:

A good samaritan, acting to protect his community, followed someone who he suspected was a danger to his community in order to investigate while the police were on their way. Keep in mind Zimmerman told the 911 operate he though martin was on drugs; turns out he was. Zimmerman got out of his car to confront martin (perfectly legal), then an altercation occurred where a significantly larger and stronger martin beat up Zimmerman causing potentially life-threatening injuries to his head. To defend himself, Zimmerman shot martin.

But like I said earlier, morally, I think there should be a higher standard for when you are legally allowed to use your firearm.

16. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There you go. I've been involved in fights, seen countless fights. Sometimes the other guy will get the upper hand on you, but never once should you think "I'm losing, time to put a hole in a motherfucker". 99% of fights if the guy goes limp or down hard on his back, it ends. Some assholes stomp people while they're out cold, but I would bet cold hard cash Zimmerman's life was not in danger. This 17-year-old was going to beat him to death? Bullshit. It's all bullshit. It's his fault this kid is dead and the reason why he might skate is that he's a pussy and didn't want to lose.

That's easy to say when there is a group of people around said fight, which I agree with your statement as it applies to every bar fight I have seen/been in.

But when it's just 2 people? If some asshole was pounding my head into the curb and I had a pistol? I'd like to say I wouldn't empty a mag into him but I can't say it for certain.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Are. You. Kidding.

"Drugs" you mean he was smoking pot? No person-- ever-- has been violent from smoking it. Ever. I will bet my life on it. It's completely ignorant to say that would have any negative effect on the situation at all. And he shot an unarmed guy. He had a piece of steel in his hand. He could point it in his face. Hit him with it. Shoot him in the leg. Fire a warning shot into the air. He gunned him the fuck down and I have no doubt a large part of him wanted to.

18. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I don't "see it" any particular way. But that article is absolutely terrible.

Like, it literally starts by saying he doesn't want to make crazy, wide-reaching claims and then ends by doing exactly that. Regardless of what you think about Zimmerman, that article was ridiculous.

Also it wasn't well-written. And it was so clearly race-baity that I'm actually a little bit concerned that you don't see it. Maybe I'm just jealous.

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Here's the problem: I'm one of those people that steps in to fights when it's clear someone has had the dog shit beaten out of them and says "He's had enough."

Some people don't know when to quit. I've had to pull people off of a guy that's unconscious and they're still beating the dudes head against the ground or putting the boots to his face. That's bullshit. A few of the guys I stepped in to break up the "Fight" ended up with severe brain injuries simply because some asshole didn't know when to stop.

You cannot say with all certainty that Martin wouldn't have continued to on to curb stomp the guy. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. We simply don't know the mindset or the situation.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Have you smoked yourself retarded? Jesus. I've seen plenty of my friends go full stupid, God mode, "I'm indestructible" after smoking pot and then got their ass handed to them.