Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Friday Sober Thread: The George Zimmerman Trial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iczorro, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Belisarius

Belisarius
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Most negligent wrongful death claims are dischargeable. However, Section 523(a)(6) of the Bankruptcy Code exempts from discharge all debts "for willful and malicious injury by the debtor to another entity or to the property of another entity."

Zimmerman will soon face civil suit. BK court will not solve all his problems. He may face the wrongful death claims in BK court, which is a slightly better venue for him.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Imo, legal justice was served. I am excited beyond belief that they set race aside and ruled perfectly on the letter of the law.

That being said, the law in this case is straight fucked up, and needs to be changed. If people riot, the messed up law is what they should riot about.

Zimmerman SHOULD be not guilty, as he has been found. But morally, in future cases, if they mirror this one and the law has been changed to reflect the true and present morals of society, I believe he'd be spending 20+ years in prison.

My issue is with the law, not him. And the law is a lot harder to change. A LOT harder. Especially in the South. Like it or not our nation still is divided, especially when it comes to gun rights and self defense which are intertwined.

Personally... Im confused as to the two. I'm all for gun rights, but I'm firmly against the self defense laws on the books currently... Someone please help me with this???

3. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For those of you who don't get how race could play into the reaction of a 17 year old kid, (the appropriate term due to the fact we consider that a minor) please dear god share what the fuck ever happy juice you are drinking.

What made Zimmerman think he needed following? What made Zimmerman think he needed confronting despite the advice of a 911 operator? Because as a guy who has looked like a suspect, out of place, lost, scary and been told EVERY FUCKING TIME that I need to understand how I my appearance could worry people I absolutely call bullshit that race is not in play here.

I'm not saying there was sufficient evidence to covict the ass bag. From what I've seen the proscecution did a poor job and for the conviction they were trying to get their ducks were unrowed. So in a sad fucking way justice was done. That being said I think the guys a piece of shit. It doesn't affect me personally but it is one more piece in a mountain of evidence that I need to make damn sure that I wear clothes and carry mysrlf in such a way that I never look any more "scary" than nature made me. I'd sure hate to get harassed to death.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Next time you board a plane, that guy wearing a white robe with a head wrap and a long beard? Don't you hope he gets searched?

Thing is with this case, with the racial profiling, we gotta call it what it is: statistically accurate.

I'm 25 year old skinny white male; you know damn well I'm not gonna go into a walmart and buy a bunch of ammo and an assault rifle. That would raise suspicion. Call a spade a spade. Comics make fun of "white people" and I propose that it works both ways.

Racial profiling happens in the real world, every day, in every walk of life. And as a nation, we're safer because of it. You know why? Because it's more accurate than not racially profiling. Certain groups of people statistically are more likely to commit certain crimes. I, statistically, fall into the group of "school shooter." And imo, if I bought an AR-15 and a bunch of ammo, I should be judged accordingly.

... But this case was about self defense. Racial profiling is what (imo, accurately got Z, unexpectedly) to that confrontation. And some thug high on drugs is what resulted in Z having to end his life lest Z potentially lose his life at the hands of trayvon

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is a couple pages late, but re: broken scalp... I have a couple scars on the back of my head from an ass kicking I took a few years back. No one "slammed" my head into the concrete, they simply punched me in the face a bunch of times, and my head bounced off the concrete to the tune of 4 staples in one spot and 3 in another.

6. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You actually hope racial profiling happens? You think its a social good? Honestly I can't even comprehend that. To answer your question no I don't hope that a guy gets singled out because he's wearing something that can affiliate him with any number of different countries. Also statistically accurate is a little misleading when were talking about crimes such as flying planes into buildings or school shootings. Simply because both of those crimes are so rare and they are statistically anomalous.

Honestly I think our world views on this particular issue are so wide apart that I don't think there is a middle ground. However, while I disagree with you vehemently I hope I did so respectfully. If I gave offense I apologize in advance.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know a lot of people were disappointed with the season finale of the George and Trayvon show, but we can at least look back on the great drama the writers were able to gift us with:

[​IMG]

8. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am somewhat surprised the verdict did not come back as manslaughter. I think if the state had gone for manslaughter rather than the overreaching murder 2 charge, they would have gotten the conviction, but not charging him with murder wouldn't have appeased people enough.

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A good friend of mine who is half hispanic, but looks fully hispanic, just like Zimmerman posted:

"So apparently I am not considered white until I cap a black dude"

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

We can discuss profiling all day (and we have), but what does it say about a culture who's expected response to a non-conviction in a murder trial is rioting and violence? Funny how people are not taking issue with that perspective.

As for the verdict, just because you're bummed that the guy isn't going to jail doesn't mean justice wasn't done. I have mixed feels about whether he's guilty or not, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

12. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only issues I have heard about were some minor incidents in Oakland, and those tend to be white Berkeley students just looking for an excuse to start shit, but not in their zip code.

13. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was not the expected response. Truly. "American culture" didn't genuinely expect rioting, or looting, or violence in response to the outcome of a murder trial. I wanted to say this earlier, but I got caught up in other life stuff. I was in damn certain that riots weren't happening, and I am correct thus far.

You know who expected that response? Racists. People who have such low opinions of black people that their minds automatically assumed that groups of angry black people would, like, totally act like mindless animals and start breaking public property. You know, because when black people get mad they have to be violent. They're uncontrollable beasts.

Some of these racist people are employed in positions that allow their racist fears to gain a broad audience. And so this sickening and uncharitable fear flames through white communities, popping up on Twitter and Facebook as a joke, then taking hold and burning itself as a foregone conclusion into the expectations of people who have no faith in their fellow human beings. But really, these people were already inclined to believe the worst about certain other denizens of the USA, so making the leap from "blacks are probably suspicious, not to be trusted, it's just a part of their problematic culture to act poorly" to "yep, these fuckers is gonna riot" wasn't a big stretch of their imagination.

And while these racists are having a ridiculous circlejerk about prepping for riots, leaving town, locking themselves into their basements, The Purge, etc., everyone else is watching and listening. Realizing that justice--not legal justice, but actual justice--was not served and the members of the hegemony that set up the system for that injustice to occur are all waiting for black people to start some shit. And all it'll take is a couple kids looking for any excuse to start shit for all those racist folk to nod their heads sagely and feel that their fucked up world view has been validated.

These expectations are disgusting. Truly.

14. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

First of all, I'm not sure how much suspicion it would actually raise if you bought a rifle/ammo from Wal-Mart, or what that suspicion would actually entail.

Second of all, the example you posted of how white guys are profiled isn't even in the same league as examples for other races. It's in such a different league that it's borderline an insult. Writing, "racial profiling affects 25 year old white guys too, they might look at me funny when I buy dangerous weapons!", in response to "I can't walk down my own street without being seen as a suspect" is incredibly tone deaf.

As for Trayvon being some "thug high on drugs", do you actually believe that would have been the descriptor if he'd been a stoned white kid carrying a bunch of candy?

15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At this point, young white guys are so entitled, they're pissed off they don't get to share in other races injustice.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If the white kid was repeatedly suspended from school, text from the kid himself indicated he was violent, into selling drugs, and looking to illegally purchase a firearm, then yes I think he'd have be labelled a thug as well. Zimmerman obviously didn't know this and Im only really referring to people that seem to believe the kid was an innocent angel and did nothing to facilitate his death. I think people don't want to admit TM might have violently overreacted to GZ following him.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

To add some zest to the already heightened emotions, Zimmerman is going to get his gun back:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/13/george-zimmerman-gun_n_3593185.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/1 ... 93185.html</a>

Obviously he should, considering he's a legal gun owner and hasn't been convicted of anything, but it's definitely going add some salt to the wound.

Oh, and according to reports (i.e. Twitter rumors) Casey Anthony is preggers.

18. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now that the trial is over, I have to say:

Attached Files:

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Wrong.

You know who expected that response? People who remember the '92 riots like it was yesterday. People with friends and family in law enforcement when the OJ verdict was read. People who remember the race riots of the 1960's. People that saw the chaos that New Orleans degenerated into after Katrina.

Racial profiling? Certainly. But there is a historical precedent in the collective memory of a large portion of the population.

The California National Guard was told before the reading of the King verdict not to expect riots, because the world had changed since the 1960's, and were caught completely unprepared. That worked out really well.

As soon as the Zimmerman verdict was read the collected crowd outside the courthouse began chanting "No justice, no peace." This would certainly seem to imply a threat that since in their eyes justice wasn't served, there would be no peace...ie...violence.

Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.

20. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At least when us white folks riot, we riot about important things like sports teams and international political conferences.