Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Friday Sober Thread: Tragedy in Connecticut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shimmered, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These violent machines have been assaulting our streets and highways for decades now.

But enough of those, I'm genuinely curious as to the response of our dedicated anti-gun members in reaction to the above proposed legislation. I've basically stayed out of the debate, this isn't flamebait or anything, just curiosity.

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy dogshit, these people are fucking stupid. Out of that whole list, she left out the SKS! It's a kissing cousin to the AK47, fires the same round, has the same gas-operation system, is capable of taking a 32 round magazine, has a bayonet mount, and can be modified for full-auto shooting (illegal, but still possible nonetheless). My dad bought one for me for Christmas right before the first assault weapons ban.

Well, they've obviously done their homework. Aren't you glad we've got such sharp people crackin' ass and looking out for our livelihood and freedom?

3. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't notice; does it have the thing in the back that goes up?

4. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This bill is DOA. I posted this a few pages back:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/harry-reid-pours-cold-water-on-assault-weapons-ban-20130114

This is a lady who represents a constituency that is so unapologetically liberal that she would have more fear of re-election if she didn't put the bill forward than anything. Her views and the views represented in this bill do not represent the majority of America.

Hypothetically speaking it would be very interesting to see how something like this would work. Just imagine how the deluge of weapons registration in the NFA database would look? Imagine the clogging of our prison system with people who refuse to comply with registration? Without becoming too overly political; in a time where it's clear that we need to cut back on Government expenditures we are talking about vastly expanding expenditures administratively, facility-wise and increasing federal prison funding. Great idea, it should work out swimmingly.

5. archer

archer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Now correct me if im wrong but the cosmetic "scary" assault weapon features (adjustable butt stock, pistol grip etc) they want to ban need to be paired with a semi auto weapon in order to be banned, but it looks like that doesnt apply for thumbhole stocks based on the wording (i.e. ALL Thumbhole stocks, regardless of whether they are on a bolt action or semi-auto).

So this would be illegal:
    Remington 700 Laminate Thumbhole Special Run:
    [​IMG]

but this would not...

Remington 700 slotted into a "scary" assault stock which i saw down at my local range.

Genius.

And i thought our gun laws were fucked up...

Attached Files:

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can only speak for myself, but my suggestions weren't anti-gun, they were anti-easy access (read: no background checks, no required permits,failure to remove CCLs from felons). I don't think my suggestions were that radical, but to each his own.

As for Feinstein's proposal, it's utterly preposterous. Call me optimistic, but I don't think it has even a marginal chance of passing in either the senate or the house. It just isn't very popular. The ban of so-called 'assualt weapons' has gained traction, yet I don't recall much of anyone supporting a ban of that many semi-automatic weapons. I love how she cites a study claiming the assault weapons ban was responsible for a 6.7% decrease in murders when assault weapons didn't even account for a percentage that high before the ban. Then she goes on to say how assault weapons were used less frequently in crimes after the ban. How shocking that people were decreasing use of guns that were no longer available.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think the NFA requirement that had been reported, and kato quotes, made it into the bill. You'd only need to do a background check if transferring a banned weapon that was grandfathered in (from what Ive read). She claimed that the tactic here, along with the flat out ban, is to eventually deplete the numbers by attrition. Too bad guns have quite a shelf life and the ensuing panic has kept the factories pumping them out as fast as they can make them.

8. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Yeah, but it doesn't have the hood scoop, spoiler or racing stripes that most "assault vehicles" have.

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's also the same weapon used by Francisco Duran to literally shoot the White House with on the eve of the 1994 AWB. It wasn't on that ban either.

The whole thing is "elevator-in-an-outhouse" stupid.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the SKS usually comes standard with a built in five/ten round clip though, which also has to be removed with tools for it to accept larger magazines. Plus it does not come standard with the evil spray from the hip pistol grip accessory. I could be wrong but I think that's how it avoids "assault rifle" status. I truly do not understand there rationale behind targeting features that allow guns to be "sprayed from the hip." I don't see any reason why a regular butt stock is any more or less able to fire from the hip indiscriminately than a pistol grip.

12. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Remember, the same people writing these laws think a .223/5.56 round will "blow up" a deer.

I think the SKS may be exempt because of the fixed magazine. If it had a detachable magazine (which you can get kits for), it would be banned under the new law because of the bayonet mount and/or if it has a threaded muzzle.

13. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It does. It's got a fixed magazine similar to the M1 Garand (which it was an answer to, unless I'm mistaken).

Focus on the cosmetics is about the stupidest thing they could do here. Besides, you can't spray from anywhere with a semi-auto. You can pull the trigger really fast, and if you are doing that from the hip you're just wasting a lot of ammo hitting nothing. Stocks exist for a reason.

14. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, you can bump-fire them, but yeah good luck hitting anything.

Has anyone seen the list of the 2000+ guns supposedly exempt from the ban? I'm curious about those details.

15. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

There's a good chance it's in a filing cabinet on Feinstein's unicorn ranch.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No that's what "slide iron stocks" are for.

17. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't forget the barrel shrouds... by god don't forget those evil devices that make rifles/shotguns into the ultimate weapon.

18. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Well no shit; can't shoot up a school if you're constantly burning your hands on a hot barrel.

19. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ammo is being stockpiled in Atlanta, nearly every store with bare shelves. Apparently Obama is going to ban bullets.

20. Jay-Bird

Jay-Bird
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.