Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fuck Bob Vila... the Home Repair Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You could probably roll the shit out of it with a perforating tool and then spray it with water to scrape off. Like wallpaper before steaming it.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... something like that, and I'd also use something like cedar or other water/rot resistant wood for it. There's a reason saunas are built with the stuff.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I think the spraying and scraping is probably the way to go. I just don’t want to…because laziness.

I also don’t want to potentially release asbestos into the house…and I can’t afford to pay an asbestos remediation company to remove it.

So we’ll just leave it alone for a while.

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can test it for asbestos before taking on the project. Buy a kit off Amazon that is shipped to a lab. That way you know. $30ish isn't too much for peace of mind.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Friend of mine bought a house with "some" asbestos, and when they tested, it was in the drywall mud, in every room of the house. The dude had to take his new (to him) house down to the studs to fix. The stuff he fixed and made better in that state was amazing, but the knockon effects were staggering. For instance, his current r-value was no longer good enough... it was grandfathered in, until he had to rip out all the drywall and pull permits for a bunch of stuff. He then had to add an extra 2.5" around the entire envelope of his house in order to get the minimum r-value for his insulation.

It was a 2 year project. Fantastic house now, but holy shit did he get there the hard way.

8. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stories like this are crazy, to me. I'd have a hard time not putting a pot of beans on the stove and leaving a jar of olive oil next to it, then leaving. Collect the insurance check and start over. It happened to my step brother... 1.2 million dollar home in Buckhead, Atlanta, GA, basically gutted to address a mold problem within a few months of purchase. Low six figure repair bill for roof, walls and insulation, etc.

Things like this would financially devastate most home buyers. We would've struggled hard if anything like that came up with our house after purchase.

I'm probably going to put on my own roof sometime this year. If you remember the pics I posted about the hole in my roof a couple years ago... the insurance company didn't pay anything for the roof. They said it was nail pops, which I agreed with after they explained their reasoning. The holes were all in several straight lines, a clear pattern that I didn't notice when I posted about it.

Insurance said they would pay for repairing the small discoloration on the bathroom ceiling, not enough to even cover the deductible. I got on the roof and filled them all with the blackjack roofing tar and haven't had a leak since. But it's time for a permanent fix.

I've installed a metal roof on the old family farm house. I will probably try to do something similar here. The metal shingles, from companies like Erie, look like a cool Idea. I might get a quite from them before making a decision. But It may just end up being a roof over with a new, second layer, of shingles, then do a good standing seam, metal roof next time.

The part I look forward to the least is the tear off. Hoping I can find some people I can pay to help with that part.

9. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean…yes. There’s a lot of things I want to do to update the house…but there’s also a kind of “what I don’t know right now” mindset. I know that’s not great, but…

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Motherfucker. Carpenter bee started a hole in my front door. And it's stained! I've got bee traps around the back porch and deck, and I usually spray any holes I see. But, I've never seen one try the front door.

I can't tell if he gave up because the stain tastes bad, or if he got interrupted? How do I make sure he stays away?

And, how do I fill the hole and stain it to match?

Bastard.

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since the car was out of the garage for a bit, I took the advantage of the space and threw up some IKEA cabinets. So much countertop space now. Some before and after pics.

Attached Files:

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice.

Personally, I made a big mistake this weekend.

I did a garage project where I welded up a mobile metal wood rack to help store all of my rough cut lumber.

I say I made a mistake because when I bought the metal online, I picked some sizing that seemed reasonable at the time but turned out to be orders of magnitude too big. Many 6' lengths of 3" square tubing with a 1/4" wall thickness.

Holy fuck did I burn a shit-ton of rods this weekend... and now the lumber rack, empty, has to be close to 1k lbs. Unless I totally fucked up the welding part of it, it'll handle all the lumber no problem.

But yeah... I'm going to sleep well tonight.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Oh... and in case anyone didn't realize this... welding is just like riding a bike... you never forget how to fall off.

My welding on the first half of the project was fucking awful... outside on the driveway, windy, shit position, figuring out the proper amps (turns out ALL the amps was the answer), using a rod that is tough to use (7018).

At least near the end I was pretty happy with how it was going and no grinding was required.

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rod? Are you arc welding?

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bro. Are you not? Are you even welding?

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You do know how old he is right?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's called SMAW, you fucks, and yes... it was the easiest way to do what I had to do (outside, in the wind). Stick welding... arc welding for you really old fucks. It is how most pipe is done, after all...

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It was quite fun, though... something primal about melting big hunks of metal like that. As long as you don't have to do it for a living.

19. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a little 110 Lincoln that I use with flux core wire. Not the cleanest welds but don't have to have a tank and I've never needed to weld anything thicker than 1/8" plate.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... I've got a nice Mig (Froneus) that does both ac/dc mig steel/aluminum, but for the big penetration that I needed for this I used my Everlast Tig/Stick that runs at 150 amps all day long.

It also runs AC stick which was awesome as the cleaning action really helped with the results without having to do any prep at all... just burned right through the mill scale, welding basically 1/2" joints.

It worked out really well, and the rods were cheap.