Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Game Of Thrones - Book/TV discussions - WITH SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Nettdata, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well BOOK Yunkai is boring. They obviously cannot have the prolonged book Yunkai and Mereen on the show, as it fucking was the same shit over and over. They're going to have to mix shit up. They're going to play up the betrayal with Jorah and the back/forth with Daario. God damn it if she doesn't have the lesbian action kick up I'm going to be pissed. Yeah, I'm exciting to see what is going to happen going on. Hopefully HBO throws a ton of fucking money at it so we can get 12 episodes and more action, pretty sure HBO realized halfway through season 2 that this is their new meal ticket.

2. awwwSNAP

awwwSNAP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This is kinda off-topic, but as far as meal tickets and HBO and throwing money places goes, I would stab Talisa myself for a full-length theatrical Robert's Rebellion movie. I realize they'd probably have to find new actors for most of the principal roles, but a big-budget Battle of the Trident on a theater screen would be beyond amazing. I guess they'd probably have to wait until some questions that haven't been resolved in the books yet are answered, but the Tower of Joy battle would be somehow even better - I'm afraid the tv show budget won't be able to handle this epic 3v7 melee between some of the greatest swordsmen in the realm. Hopefully we'll get that in a flashback of some sort though. Right? Hopefully. Howland Reed is out there and if he doesn't make an appearance soon I'm gonna be damn furious.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Co-signed. Everything involving the Battle at the Trident. Tywin at the gates. Jaime having to kill Aerys, fucking all of it. I want to see it.

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would love if they did this, but yeah. I think one of the main sub-plots of that movie would have to be John Snow's true parentage. If the Lyanna/Rhaegar theory is correct, they'd have to wait at least three or four years before they could do the movie. I mean, we haven't even learned the truth in the books yet, let alone the show.

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just caught up on the show, and I'm way too pissed off to care about the non-readers reactions to that monkey flinging shit storm they call a masterpiece.

- Arya leaving the hound to die won't work anymore either. You don't know why? Pay attention. After this episode I'm sure they have something equally awesome planned.
    - Did Talisa drop acid before getting her throat slashed? Do the filmers think people don't notice these things? She doesn't see it coming, but she's not on planet Quazaran either. Learn to fucking act. [Before this episode I never noticed how much she looks like Jennifer Love Hewitt, but that's not the point.]
    - Every change these jackasses have made to the Jon/Ygritte storyline is wrong and awful. You think this is better than the books?
    - The Red Wedding is the most iconic scene in the series. Why did you have to make adjustments? Are you trying to prove something? Everything you did was detrimental. No, not even bringing Talisa there helped. See Above.
    - I guess she's not a Lannister. Whooo, I don't give a fuck.
    - That god awful music you played during those banal throat slashings. The books made me suspend my disbelief. Pull that crap, I can't anymore.
    - If you're a really, really good writer you can take one of the best books ever written within a genre and go your own direction. You are not great writers. Remember season 1? Remember why that was so good?

I'm drunk and I'm overreacting. I'm aggravated because this was the best show on television. Until now, I accepted the changes they've made from the source material. Not anymore.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

KT, you are the only person ever I've talked to or read on the interwebs that hates the TV show that much. Her face in that scene really fucking bothered me. I did keep thinking "She's looking kinda alien-ish, she's not looking attractive, I hope that's on purpose. She wasn't any hotter than Roslin."

Also, Ygritte seems less like a fucking weirdo sex robot that lived in a cave in the show. That's all I really have to say about her.

Yeah and the whole spy theory going to shit is kinda sad, but it was far fetched anyway. Pretty sure it was a planned troll for the people who read the books to have a theory on something and stay really engaged.

8. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't hate the show. It's very well made for the most part. Up until that episode I got the impression the writers were trying to prove something, but didn't care because for the most part it was working. That episode made it really hit home. Talisa is smoking hot, the reference to Jennifer Love Hewitt was not a knock on her. My beef is that they're muddling with story lines and at this point they don't have a reason for it anymore other than to surprise the readers. The red wedding scene was essentially the same as it was in the books, except for 15 minor changes that improved nothing. I don't see the point. Blah, I'm drunk and way too harsh a critic as it is, I probably won't care that much 5 episodes from now.

9. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nailed it.

10. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How's about we all pipe down for a spell so ol' Georgie boy can finish SOIAF first. The last thing we need is for that tubbo to get distracted with another project and croak before he finishes this series.

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let the showrunners do it. He can give some notes. I don't know where the fuck he is, but he needs to not be let out of his house for book signings, press events, and fuck any and all interviews. This motherfucker needs to beat these books out immediately.

12. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: Game Of Thrones - Book/TV discussions - WITH SPOILERS

I can't get into the books but what do you guys think the odds are that he finishes the series? If he doesn't will he let a different author finish them out?

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: Game Of Thrones - Book/TV discussions - WITH SPOILERS

Honestly? 10%. The guy looks like diabetes incarnate.

14. Uno

Uno
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Considering what he has been like, the the fact he just co-wrote a 300 page ASOIAF guide, writing the actual series seems to be the distraction from everything else.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's going to finish the book and promptly be killed by a 12 year old blonde child with a sadistic streak.

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think he'll finish the series. The man is obese, but at 64 he could easily live another ten, or even twenty years. Based on his interviews he has the ending somewhat mapped out (eg he knows who will sit the iron throne). He's going to need to kill a lot of characters off in book 6 and give it a parallel finish to Storm of Swords. Then, he can take what's left over and drive those characters to their conclusions. The world has gotten huge, but we're probably still talking about 2,500 pages between those two books. If he can move the plot while axing the right people that should be sufficient.

For any of you other dorks out there, he does a reading of one of the earlier chapters for Winds of Winter 30 minutes into this video.

#196 Kampf Trinker, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm listening to this and it is fucking great. I can't wait for the full book. He needs to stop doing these goddamn interviews and get to it. I think the Iron Born stories were way more interesting. What does the horn do? How will the dragons react? I know they won't leave their mother, but what will happen? How will Dany 3.0 react to the horn? Is Victarion going to pull this off? Good guys don't seem to win much, and his brother is a raging dick.

18. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

...the fuck? What does the Horn of Joramuffawhatwho have to do with dragons? I thought it was supposed to make the Wall shit water?

And did the books ever explain why Roose betrayed the Starks?

19. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Not the Horn of Joramund, the other one that Victarion's brother found wherever he found it (Valyria possibly). That killed the guy that blew it at the Kings Moot.

20. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't remember that. I'll have to give a look-see, hopefully this time I can get past the Ironborn and their boring ass Drowned God of Physiology and inept attempts to climb the ladder.