Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Game Of Thrones - Book/TV discussions - WITH SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Nettdata, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think they're doing exactly that, her walking out on Tyrion after the argument especially the comment of her being his whore and then nothing after he throws her away. Few more scenes like that would set up finding her in Tywin's bed just nicely.

2. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After the scene with Dany taking command of the Unsullied I think the scene of Tyrion confronting his father is probably the most anticipated scene to watch on TV. I can't wait. Though since it happens at the very end of book 3, it's probably a season away since they're doing two years for book 3.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Talisa Theory - I think Martin was doing a very smooth trolling. I definitely think it reinforced the theory due to the fact she is acting like there isn't a war going on. She is being such a distraction. For someone who has seen two years of wars and deaths, she seems pretty fucking calm despite the fact her King/Baby Daddy isn't dominating this war, going against the power of the Lannisters and Tyrells. That letter is definitely updated Tywin on what's going on. Damn, did I just talking myself into doubling down on the Talisa Theory.

We'll see, only 3 more episodes to go. And you saw Roose Bolton heading to the Twins for the wedding.

I think the scene with Tyrion and Shae set everything up for a Tywin bedding right now if it wasn't 3-4 seasons away. Its going to hurt more because Tyrion is pouring his heart out.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a few things that irk me about it. Shae's been constantly trying to get Tyrion to run away with her. One part that especially got to me was in the 'blackwater' episode. Shae tells Sansa she can't go with her because she needs to say goodbye to someone, then shows her the dagger saying she won't get raped. Unless she's seriously planning to carve up an army with a knife, that was there to commit suicide, so she's risking her life just to see Tyrion one last time(even if she's naive enough to think she can protect herself she's really diving into danger here). I don't remember that being in the book. Yes, the Tywin scene could still go down, but there's a bit of a disconnect there. Also, Shae was much more whorish in the books. In the tv show she seems almost lady like, and Shae is no lady. She's a whore. Tyrion never really believes Shae, but it's something he wants so bad he tricks himself into going along with it. Now, they don't need to be obvious about her being disingenuous like in the books, but they need to balance the character changes out. To be fair, that scene is still a long ways off so I'm sure we have some hints/revelations on the way.

Edit: My giant Lannister! Sorry, had to say it.

5. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the naked Talisa scene, when Robb questions her, I thought he sounded very suspicious of her. Anyone else?

Ygritte is acting weird....like the girl from Wedding Crashers but with more "cut your heart out and eat it in front of you"-ness.

Sansa is still playing the doe-eyed numbskull excellently, and Tywin is still badass. Too bad for Joffrey he replaced the one member of his Kingsguard who would or could have backed Tywin off, and carved through the others to do it. There's the lesson Ned learned in the first season....if you trust in paid men, make sure it's YOUR money paying them.

I'm cautiously intrigued by the Brotherhood story. Since they went to the trouble of mixing it up with Melisandre, we'll have to be seeing more of them beyond
    going Frey fishing
    . I'm still not really buying into the connection, but I am curious to see what they do with the Brotherhood and Gendry.

6. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The scene between Tywin and Joffery was fucking perfect. It was completely non-verbal. Tywin was verbally giving Joffrey everything he wanted, but just his presence standing over the King, looking down on him, it was absolutely god damned perfect.

I'd argue that, for book readers, the Red Wedding is far and away the most anticipated event still to come. I'm just anticipating the look on my wife's face when shit goes down. Having read the books (she hasn't) I know whats coming, and I want to discuss it with her so bad, but damn it I just can't.

7. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone else think that show Tywin is too likable compared to book Tywin? They still have another whole season to build it up, but I think the audience at this point doesn't have a good concept of how ruthless and cruel he can be, and how badly he treats Tyrion.

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

book-Shae and show-Shae are barely the same person at this point. In the book it is clear that she's there for gold and social standing, whereas in the show it's almost like she's "in love". It's gonna take some fancy script maneuvers and suspension of our own disbelief for her character to turn gold-digger acceptably.

The only artform that should rely on audience cooperation is Improv. Just saying.

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hell at this point Shae may not end up in bed with Tywin. There can't be enough screen time to make Shae who she was before, because then she'd be bad at her current role of helping out Sansa. She'd be figured out too quickly by everyone else. Its not a bad change, just harder for us to predict what is going to happen.

Who knows. I don't think Robb was questioning Talisa, you're projecting. The problem is he isn't questioning shit. He's balls deep in her and I've now sold myself 100% on the spy theory.

Tywin is too likable to US, because we're all assholes. But he obviously is disgusted by everyone around him, his grandson, his dwarf son, and his daughter. The only person he isn't readily disgusted by is Jaime. Also after the Red Wedding which I believe is his idea, his full ruthlessness with be made apparent again. It'll be fleshed out once they discuss the Rains of Castamere.

The issue with the wildings in general is that in the books, with the exception of Mance, they actually seemed way more wild and primitive. Yrgritte isn't saying "You know nothing Jon Snow" every 20 seconds, and she is way more into him than she was in the books. I don't think its bad, but in this one she knows he's still loyal to Castle Black. I also think they're acting more their age, young love doesn't care for politics, the concept of running away and being together is stronger than anything else.

10. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The more I think about it the more I feel like they are just going to have to adjust the scene. I think the writers are smart enough to know it's not a good idea to just put her in there for shock value for the non-readers. They might even kill Shae off before Joffrey. I'm a tad bitter about this because that (along with the RW) were my two favorite parts of the book. They might have something equally awesome planned, but I doubt it.

Tywin has been just as domineering as he was in the books. The scene where he explains to Tyrion why he won't let him be heir to casterly rock was some of the most cold hearted shit I've ever seen on television. He also forced Tyrion, Cersei, Sansa, and Loras all into unhappy marriages for the sake of political gain and had to threaten Olenna to do it. Remember, the worst is still to come. Shae, or no Shae the truth about Tysha will come out, along with his involvement in the RW. I also suspect that

he's going to force an abortion on Talisa. Whether she is a Lannister or not, that is going to be fucking brutal.

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well Wiki says the Westerling girl Talisa is replacing in the books neither died at the RW or was pregnant, so I'm highly doubting that Talisa is actually pregnant. Not like they could go pee on sticks and be sure. She could just have said that so he has more non-war, non-paranoia stuff on his side. The thing that kills me given this situation is why isn't he more paranoid about shit given the fact Renly was killed by a smoke child? Anyway, just a gripe.

12. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Low-key nerd debate. I think that the Red Wedding is a hugely anticipated event, absolutely, but in large part because we know it's coming and look forward to the reaction of others. Tywin getting killed by Tyrion I think is going to be our most viscerally "Yes!" moment to actually see played out. Much like that awesome feeling when Dany takes control of the Unsullied, confirms her absolute mastery, and then "explains" to the city that they have no army anymore.

13. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I still can't wait to see Joffrey's wedding. I might even have to interrupt my regularly scheduled drink to have a celebratory drink when that happens.

14. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Shae is 100% dead at Tyrion's hands like in the book. He gave her the necklace he's going to do it with in the last episode or two. Too big of a character moment for him to cut it out. It won't happen until episode 9 or 10 of next season so there's some time to sell the Shae/Tywin thing.

15. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed. This season seems set to end at the Red Wedding and Jamie's return to King's Landing while next season I'd imagine gets the triple whammy of Joffrey's wedding, Tywin dying, and Jon becoming Lord Commander (I love that moment and Sam's role in it).

16. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well, the way is see it the show is making clear that Shae isn't going to betray Tyrion because she's a golddigger, but because she feels Tyrion betrayed her first. They already showed her irrational jealous anger when Tyrion mumbles about Sansa being pretty. Now she absolutely feels fucked over by him, because he's marrying Sansa. So when she throws him under the bus during the trial and hooks up with Tywin, it'll probably be because she wanted some payback, not because she tried to fuck her way up.

You do realise that there needs to be some space between Joffrey's wedding and Tywins death, right? There's a certain fight between a mountain and a viper that happens in between those two events. Not to mention Tyrions time in prison, his conversations with Varys and Jaime, Sansa's escape and the way things end in the Vale. Kind of hard to pull that off in one episode.

Oh, and regarding this season's finale (this is a spoiler, even to book-readers):
    The second-to-last episode of this season is called 'Rains of Castamere'. So, y'know, like the Blackwater-battle in season two, they don't end the season with the largest event.

17. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really hope they don't get rid of this fight. I loved how it went in the books, hopefully they do it justice.

18. Coke Bottle Casualty

Coke Bottle Casualty
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It was my absolute favourite part of the the books up to this point. Can't wait to see who they cast as Oberyn Martel. And please, Showrunners, find a way to get the original actor who played the Mountain back!

19. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1947403/ was the first guy and this is the current guy http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1613839/

20. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently Strong Belwas has been actually cut. I'd been holding out hope that he was just being introduced differently.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck.