Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General '12/'13 Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by $100T2, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Jay-Bird

Jay-Bird
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Re: General '12/'13 Fantasy Football Thread RB / WR / WR / TE / FLX / D / K
    I picked 4th overall, out of 10 teams.

Tony Romo (7) QB
    Ray Rice (1) RB
    Matt Forte (2) RB
    DeMarco Murray (3) RB
    Hakeem Nicks (4) WR
    Mike Wallace (5) WR
    Brent Celek (12) TE
    Seattle (13) DEF
    Shayne Graham (14) K

Jeremy Maclin (6) WR
    Shonn Greene (8) RB
    Philip Rivers (9) QB
    Michael Bush (10) RB
    Ben Tate (11) RB

Overall I feel pretty good. I plan on Defence by matchup, and playing the hotter hand / matchup between Romo and Rivers.

However My questions are these:

Rashad Jennings, and Russell Wilson are both undrafted at the moment, and I'm not sure if I should bother picking either of them up, and if so, who should I drop in their place?

Thanks for any input.

2. justinarelost

justinarelost
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Pick up Jennings, he'll start week 1. I'm a big believer in Wilson this year, he'll be mostly average passing, but pick up some rushing yards, so he'll be an adequate backup. Try and trade Romo or Rivers. It's impossible to tell week to week who is going to have the best week. See if you can put a QB and WR like Maclin or Nicks together for a better TE. Celek is terrible and has no upside. You can always go out and pick up a TE like Celek on the waiver wire.

3. Jay-Bird

Jay-Bird
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Even though Jennings will start week one, do you think he is worth starting over Demarco Murray or Matt Forte?

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No. It's unclear to me that over the course of the season he has more value than any of your current players.

5. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You really can't tell that right now. Here is what we can tell you:

--Jags coaches and ownership are extremely high on Jennings, to the point where they are completely and totally willing to let their biggest star, and last year's rushing leader, MJD, spend the year on the bench.

--Fantasy experts (who, granted, tend to be a crap shoot) are also extremely high on Jennings.

--If MJD doesn't show up within the next two or three days, Jennings will see the bulk of the carries in week 1. If Jennings is as good in week 1 as people expect, he will (at minimum) be in a time share with MJD most of the season, giving him enough value as a flex guy. His ceiling is that he could end up a top 10 RB, and you'll be kicking yourself for not picking him up.

Bottom line? I'd rather have Jennings than Shonn Greene. Greene won't do shit, everyone knows he won't do shit, and he won't even hold value as trade bait. He will, at best, be a stop-gap for a bye week. I'd drop Greene and pick up Jennings. If he has a big week 1, dangle Jennings as trade bait, or package him with someone else to upgrade at QB (I would NOT feel good going into a season with Romo as my QB).

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just had my fantasy draft. 12 teams, PPR, 0.5 per completion, 6 per passing td, 1 per 20 yards passing, and 1 per 20 yards on kick returns. I picked first in a snake draft.

QB: Aaron Rodgers

WR: Andre Johnson
    WR: Robert Meachem
    WR: Darius Heyward-Bey

RB: Ryan Matthews
    RB: Michael Turner

TE: Brent Celek

K: Not drafted. Who gives a shit?

DST: NYG

B: Frank Gore
    B: Michael Crabtree
    B: Mike Williams
    B: Randy Moss
    B: Santana Moss

I really screwed up taking Gore in the 5th when I already had two running backs. I'm going to try to use him as trade bait to upgrade at receiver. For some reason I thought we had a flex spot, when it turns out that we don't. That could really come back to bit me in the ass. I went with Gore at the time because there was huge run on receivers and there was little difference in the next ten available. Overall, I think my team is ok, but being weak at receiver after Andre Johnson could really hurt since it is a PPR league. Plus, my TE kind of sucks. Hopefully one of my sleepers pans out.

7. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Finished my first draft, I'm a little drunk but I think I did ok. Messed up waiting for a QB since drafting 6 I missed the top tier and kept losing the guys I wanted. 6pts passing td, .5 per reception, 1 per 1yds rushing/recieving, 6pts rushing/recieving td. 5pts for 100yds rec/rus, 10pts 200 yds rec/rus, 5pts 300 yds qb, 10 pts 400yds qb, 1 extra point for td's over 40 yds for everyone.

Palmer (11)
    Leshawn McCoy (1)
    Ryan Matthews (3)
    Hakeem Nicks (5)
    Mike Wallace (6)
    Jimmy Graham (2)
    Adrian Peterson (4)
    Robbie Gould (16)
    Houston DEF (12)
    Jason Witten (9)
    Reggie Bush (8)
    Malcolm Floyd (10)
    Sidney Rice (13)
    Mike Williams TB (14)
    Andy Dalton (15)
    Austin Miles (7)

Lots of injury risk but also potential.

8. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

My Draft. Standard NFL.com rules.

QBs

Aaron Rodgers
    Jay Cutler

RBs

Ryan Mathews
    Frank Gore
    Peyton Hillis
    Steven Jackson
    Beanie Wells

WR

Brandon Lloyd
    Jordy Nelson
    Jeremy Maclin
    Denarius Moore
    Torrey Smith

TE:

Jimmy Graham

K:

Jason Hanson

DEF:

Houston

Too many RBs?

9. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Decker, easily. There's no reason to expect anything out of Moss right now (he's old, been out of football, has Crabtree and Manningham around him, wasn't impressive last time he was playing...), and Decker is a more proven quantity. Moss should sit on your bench for a while until there's a few games to judge him on.

I'm right to be starting the Law Firm over Santonio Holmes at the flex, right? The Baltimore run defense is really scary, but I don't trust anyone in a Jets uniform.

10. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also Kevin Smith is an option.

11. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Decker, absolutely. Word is, he and Peyton have some good chemistry, and he will be targeted a lot. From what I remember, he put up decent numbers for me last year, and that was with Tebow throwing to him. No reason he won't improve with a QB upgrade.

I would. It will be interesting to see what he does being used more than he was in New England.

Here's where I need help:

I have Tony Romo (whom I abhor... damn you auto draft) and I have Russell Wilson.

Now, common sense says: "Don't start a rookie QB in his first regular season game." Common sense also says that against the Giants 4-3, Tony Romo will spend more time on his back than a dockside whore on sailors payday.

My gut is telling me to go with Wilson at the Cardinals rather than Romo at the Giants tonight, likely in the rain. What say you, TiB?

Next: Do I start Trent Richardson (vs. PHI) who will probably see limited work due to his knee being 'scoped, or do I start Michael Bush (vs IND)? My other starting RB is Jamaal Charles.

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Lawfirm is the most consistent runningback out there, he will never get you less than 10 points, but he could always get you more than 10 points.

Decker is going to be way more effective than Moss except against defenses that have terrible secondaries. Any half decent secondary can stop him. The whole "He can't run routes" is a terrible knock on him. Eric Decker is Wes Welker 2.0, taller too. Same whiteness.

Russell Wilson has some magic, and I thought the Cardinals secondary was sneaky good and their front was the weaker aspect. Don't quote me on this, but I'd honestly go with Wilson. Romo will probably be eaten by the Giants, and some random fact like the Superbowl winners haven't lost their opening game in 12 years.

I don't know how Mike Tice is going to run this offense, but they didn't spend that money on Michael Bush for shits and giggles. The Bears are cheap, they're probably going to use him in the redzone and 3rd down A LOT. Healthy always beats injured.

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Your gut is wrong. While they have a good pass rush, last year's Giants defense was near the bottom of the league in terms of pass defense. 29th in yards allowed, 22nd in ypa, 25th in TDs. They do get a ton of sacks and a reasonable number of INTs, but they let up a lot of yards and points. Throw in a new starting CB and the fact that Romo averaged 300+/3 TDs/0.5 INTs against them last year, and I foresee a shootout.

Go with Trent Richardson. The Browns have said that he's ready to go and that he'll be a feature back from Day 1. I also think Bush is getting highly overrated this year; I think people are exaggerating the number of carries/TDs he'll be getting as long as Forte is healthy.

14. Uziel

Uziel
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Last minute advice on my TE. Should I start Witten tonight or Marcedes Lewis on Sunday?

15. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The primary purpose of this post is to say that Parker is absolutely right, auctions are FAR superior to drafts, both in terms of fun and rewarding actual fantasy knowledge and research. Plus, the concept of the "right price" for a guy can change in an instant. For example, everyone thought I was crazy for paying $50 for Tom Brady...till Aaron Rodgers went for 68 and Brees for 54. Point is, dude ain't lyin...auctions are crazy fun.

10 team, non ppr, td throws are 4, standard otherwise. Starting lineup is 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 DST, 1 K, and 1 flex which is RB/WR/TE eligible.

My team, which I fucking LOVE:

Tom Brady - $50
    Jamaal Charles - $29
    Toby Gerhart - $3
    Kevin Smith - $4
    Cedric Benson - $4
    CJ Spiller - $4
    rashad Jennings - $2
    Roddy White - $32
    Brandon Lloyd - $16
    Torrey Smith - $13
    Sydney Rice - $3
    Kenny Britt - $6
    Malcolm Floyd - $6
    Brandon Pettigrew - $3
    Detroit Lions - $23
    David Akers - $2

Best values were probably Brady and Pettigrew, slightly overpaid for Torrey Smith, but I really wanted him. Lions was the last roster spot I had, so I just blew the rest of my budget. I'm a little light at RB, but I believe in Charles and Benson in the long term, and I just traded Spiller and Britt for Donald Brown and Blackmon, so I shored that up a bit there.

Anyway...auctions rule.

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For my W/R spot:

Percy Harvin vs. JAX
    or
    Anquan Boldin vs. Cincy

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Auction drafts rule when you know the people in the league, and EVERYONE shows up. OR the person (two people max) set their autodrafts precisely for the price you're bidding up. Otherwise bots will raise the price and fucking everything.

Everyone in the paid league experienced how much fun it was to Auction Draft, raising the price on Brady and Gronk just to fuck me, knowing I'm a diehard Patriots fan. Then counter fucking me when I was dicking around on raising the price on Phillip Rivers and ended up getting stuck with him for like $40 dollars, then gain on Matt Ryan for $14. Chater had the time of his life until he got fucked trying to raise the price on Ben Rothlisberger. He remembers who fucked him and how, so next year it ups the ante for the risk vs. reward in regards to drafting.

18. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah, I hate CJ Spiller this year, and have gone well well out of my way to avoid having him on any teams. The host of the league is a diehard Bills fan, and I thought I could walk him out of a couple of extra dollars...that didn't so much work out.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The best part of fantasy football is just adding a few dollars to your competitors bid here and there because no one knows when you get to the late round, and Frank Gore is like the only runningback left and he can't get him because he can't bid more than $4, but you can. That is what makes auction 10 times better than snake draft. Plus its less luck. It requires more football knowledge. It just sucks if someone can't make it and didn't set their bids.

20. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Auction is best because of all the reasons you said (takes more football knowledge, you can justify/be burned by your payments for people).

But it's also awesome because:

[​IMG]